Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cake..

(5 Posts)
storminabuttercup Wed 21-Sep-11 16:22:20

My grandma usually does these but she is just too ill, she says she will really miss them this year, but won't allow shop bought ones in the house, I'm going to have a go, now she says I can use her recipe but she seems very hazy on it and it's all from memory, she does use lots of booze (brandy and whisky) so this is a tradition I will uphold!

But I am clueless? I'm pretty sure they need to be made soon!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good recipe? I have some in cookbooks but reluctant to choose a random one!

They need to be good to live up to my grans!

CaptainMartinCrieff Wed 21-Sep-11 17:14:45

Google 'The Pink Whisk' it's the recipe blog of the lady who came 2nd in last years Great British Bake Off. She's posting so you can follow her recipe and cooking... It starts this week and it's soaking the fruit time, I plan on trying to make my first Christmas cake ever starting this weekend!

fedupdownhere Thu 22-Sep-11 13:07:14

delia smith every time for us I always add more booze to the adults cake but make a less boozy one for the kids
www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/how-to-make-a-christmas-cake.html

hanahsaunt Thu 22-Sep-11 13:13:45

Love Nigella's chocolate Christmas cake - it's fab so that's what we're having this year because we're having Christmas at home and I'm in charge grin. Have a look at it - it's not chocolate cake in the classic sense - it happens to have chocoalte in it which really adds a depth to the flavour. And you make it the week before if you like.

Whitershadeofpale Thu 22-Sep-11 13:57:11

I second Nigella's cake. It doesn't really taste of Chocolate. I always did a traditional cake, done weeks in advance with lots of feeding etc. But now I always do Nigella's it takes so much less effort but tastes so much better. Her Ultimate Chtristmas pudding has also become my standard after years of trying all different recipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now