Talk

Advanced search

If you live overseas (traditions)

(5 Posts)
FelixCited Wed 21-Sep-11 08:01:02

we relocated to The Netherlands from UK a few years ago and now DS is 2.5yrs.

I love an 'English' Christmas so we did that last year -we go back to UK for New Year to see family.

Now as DS is getting older he will see the Dutch traditional celebrations.. these start in November and end December 6th, children put their shoes out every night and get a small gift.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

Obviously we are not Dutch and so have no tie to these traditions but we will be living here for the long term, school, friends etc.

Is it over kill to 'do both' or just do UK?

What do others in this situation do?

olibeansmummy Wed 21-Sep-11 08:03:56

Do both but on a smaller scale eg small gifts each night, but then less on actual Christmas day smile what do they do on Christmas day in the Netherlands?

FelixCited Wed 21-Sep-11 08:17:16

Hi, the Dutch (disclaimer: the one's I have met) don't seem to 'do' Christmas Day,
although over the last 2 years there seems to be more Christmas decorations and cards in the shops, but I think that is just materialism creeping in.. and catering to the expat crowd.. and Christians obviously!

bagelmonkey Wed 21-Sep-11 08:19:22

Could you do the Dutch Christmas with him as a family then UK style Christmas with gifts from GPs etc so he gets both?

FelixCited Wed 21-Sep-11 08:34:48

I stand corrected...
Christmas Day itself is a much quieter day in Holland, with a Church Service and family meal. Sometimes there is a special Christmas Day 'Sunday School' in the afternoon at the church, where the Christmas Story and other traditional stories are told. My friend was given a book, an orange and biscuits. These are often the only presents children will get on Christmas Day because they have already received most of their presents on St. Nicholas Day.

On Christmas Eve night, Dutch Children believe that Santa Claus, (who is also call 'Christmas man' to avoid confusion with Sinterklass!) comes from Lapland in Finland to deliver more presents!
www.whychristmas.com/cultures/holland.shtml

Right so my 'scaled down version' starts 2nd week of November with small present in shoes, then a few big presents on 5th December, then Christmas Day presents from me and DH, then 'family Christmas' back home for New Years with GP's.

I better start planning now.. is it over kill to do the Christmas eve hamper too??!!

Do others blend/ mix traditions too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now