Talk

Advanced search

If we agree to "just buy for the kids" how do I make it fair on those who have fewer children?

(10 Posts)
reddaisy Tue 20-Sep-11 19:13:45

I've been thinking about doing this with a number of friends but quite a few of them are on their first children and my second is due before Christmas so if you do this arrangement, do people just suck it up and buy for two children even if they have one child themselves? Or does it all just pan out in the end? I don't want to look like I am suggesting a system that is unfair!

Alternatively we could just buy the adults but everyone likes to buy for children at Christmas normally.

cheeseandmarmitesandwich Tue 20-Sep-11 19:20:09

Hmm, well that's what we do in our family and the fact that some have 3, some have 2 and some have 1 doesn't really occur to me. You can't make everything absolutely exactly fair all of the time! After all, for example we still by birthday presents for my sister's 3 kids while she only buys for our 2 but noone would say that was unfair!

cheeseandmarmitesandwich Tue 20-Sep-11 19:20:09

Hmm, well that's what we do in our family and the fact that some have 3, some have 2 and some have 1 doesn't really occur to me. You can't make everything absolutely exactly fair all of the time! After all, for example we still by birthday presents for my sister's 3 kids while she only buys for our 2 but noone would say that was unfair!

Jux Tue 20-Sep-11 19:27:52

When I was a kid, people bought 'family' presents - a big box of special biscuits, a side of smoked salmon, a brace of grouse or partridge, large box of chocolates, you get the picture.

reddaisy Tue 20-Sep-11 19:31:38

I have had no problem buying for my friends who have had children for several years before me either, I just didn't want it to look unfair if I'm the one who suggests it and I'm the one with more children!

I also have one friend who very generously buys for everyone in my family including DP so this year that will be four presents she will have to buy and we only get her one. I have suggested we just get each other but she says no, so should I spend more on her to balance it out or conclude that it is her choice?? My two Christmas dilemmas so far on one thread!

cat64 Tue 20-Sep-11 19:32:02

Message withdrawn

Stormwater Tue 20-Sep-11 19:33:15

It would be more unfair to get some children nicer presents than others, on a regular basis. That's penalising children for having siblings, which is out of their control! Just set the same budget for each child, and buy within the budget.

OddBoots Tue 20-Sep-11 19:36:37

Unless there is an amount per child given as part of the agreement then just leave people to sort it out themselves.

Dh is one of five, four of whom (inc us) have two children. His sister is pregnant with their first. In previous years we have bought for his sister and this year we will buy for the baby and give them a gift voucher too so it is even.

Mowlem Tue 20-Sep-11 19:38:17

With one of my friends - I have 2 Dc and she has 3. we both spend about £30 per family, so her children get about £10 each and mine £15. Not enough difference for the children to notice, but keeps it more or less fair.

ENormaSnob Tue 20-Sep-11 20:29:00

Just buy for the adults.

Kids get enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now