Talk

Advanced search

let's talk about Christmas menus

(16 Posts)
LowLevelWhingeing Mon 19-Sep-11 22:25:19

what are you serving do you think?

We're not really into turkey, though some of our guests might be, so we'll probably do two meats. but what else?

starters?
sides?
puddings?

MagdaMagyarMadam Mon 19-Sep-11 22:34:11

If family coming then possibly french onion soup followed by leg/shoulder of pork and chicken. DP made bread sauce, apple sauce and cranberry compote last year - went down very well. If just us and the twins then twice baked cheese souffle followed by fillet of beef. No matter what, we'll have home made xmas pudding to finish.

LowLevelWhingeing Mon 19-Sep-11 22:55:51

Hmmm, soup. My family have always done soup, and it's easy and light isn't it?

DP's family usually have prawn cocktail, which, while a cliche is still nice!

I don't think I've ever had bread sauce, or souffle! I'll have to try them!

We may have some extended family from the US, so maybe we should include some of what they would expect/like?

YouWinOrYouDie Mon 19-Sep-11 23:12:47

Lemon and honey chicken with Rosemary

Dark green salty cabbage

Crispy outside and fluffy inside goose-fat roasted potatoes.

Buttery carrots.

Sweet and savoury stuffing balls.

Gravy

Cranberry sauce

Pigs in blankets

Creamed sweet potato and parsnip

Yorkshire pudding

We don't have a starter obviously and pudding isn't needed until much later grin

Normally do a load of nibble type stuff to have with champagne/drinks etc beforehand around noon. We tend to sit down for our main meal at around 3 and will usually still be found there 9 hours later still grazing on the mountain of food!

Did turkey and the lot last year, so will be doing a huge rib of beef this year, with roast potatoes, yorkshires, carrots (done with butter, thyme and honey), sprouts, which I mash with double cream and nutmeg as it's the one way everyone will eat them, usually do a root veg mash as well and probably some peas or beans. Gallons of gravy, a horseradish cream and I will also cook a ham, so cumberland sauce and various mustards on the table too. (There will be 17 of us).

Puddings are always Christmas Pud, Mince pies, brandy butter, cream, pannetone, Christmas cake. DD1 usually makes a chocolate log thing as she's not fussed about the dried fruit on offer in whatever form...

Big stilton and a very smelly brie de meaux for good measure.

Written down (and looking at the size of the food bill...) it seems like a frightening amount, but I have three brothers, one brother in law and my DS has the hollow legs to beat all teenage hollow legs. By the end of Boxing Day the cupboards are usually bare... grin

The bottle bank is generally filled by us alone.

LowLevelWhingeing Mon 19-Sep-11 23:43:43

what are sweet and savoury stuffing balls pls youwin? your menu sounds great. mmm... sausages AND bacon AND roast meat!

yorkshire pud is contraversial but delicious.

mashed sprouts!! inspired. I bloody love sprouts though. but how do you mash sprouts??

we had cheesy sprouts one year, V good.

and how does one cook a ham?

Yorkshirse have to be eaten with roast rib of beef. It is the law!

Mashed Sprouts: I also love them any which way, but basically cook them for one minute more than they need. Warm some double cream in a pan ( or m/wave) and then pour on to the sprouts with a knob of butter (very low fat as you can see), mash as you would, they cream quite nicely - obviously not smooth as mash though... Check seasoning and add nutmeg to taste really. Very delicious and can be done the evening before and heated either on a low heat with a splash more cream, or in the m/wave.

Ham: I do this recipe, it is my favourite, but this Nigella one is also good, but not, in my opinion, as good as the first one, which is Delia's one.

YouWinOrYouDie Tue 20-Sep-11 15:13:39

Sweet stuffing - something like cranberry and orange
Savoury stuffing - maybe sage

Yorkshire puddings blush I flout the law at Christmas.

LordOfTheFlies Tue 20-Sep-11 16:53:56

We have a part vegetarian household (DH and I)

Sometimes I do a special main course (Delias Souffle Roulade or cheese choux pastry with mushrooms) but TBH after I've done all the extra bits its usually a Quorn Roast!

DD and DS will eat roast chicken breast (free range) as will my dad. DH, mum and I the Quorn.
Roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sprouts (steamed) pureed turnip, sage and onion stuffing, vegetable gravy and Yorkie puds.
Sometimes bread sauce.
We don't do a starter, only DH drinks (usually a beer, not wine).
Christmas pudding much later.

iklboo Tue 20-Sep-11 17:08:03

Smoked salmon - either with soda bread and some sort of salad or filled with salmon mousse
Multi-bird roast (the Aldi one) and a piece of beef with the trimmings
Sticky toffee pudding

Riveninabingle Tue 20-Sep-11 17:10:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gapants Tue 20-Sep-11 17:16:55

Starters
We do a bacon, pear and stilton salad
A smoked salmon salad with spicey mustard dressing
Giant prawns with cocktail sauce
All served with home baked bread and butter

Main
Turkey with trimmings, and a baked ham- root veg mash, roasties, pigs in blankets, buttery carrots, roasted sprouts

Pud
Golden Syrup Bread and butter pudding with clotted cream
Christmas Pud

Cheese Board

Lots of prosecco, sherry, red/white wine and last year we had mojitos to pick us up at about 8pm.

Then we roll in to the living room to slay each other at scrabble, then for a walk round church yard with torches (kids love it) back home for nibbles-

Pate, olives, cheeses, home made sausage rolls, breads, artichoke and mushroom dip, crisps, cured meats, cold turkey.

boxing Day- cardiac arrest.

HarrogateMum Tue 20-Sep-11 20:14:14

mmm that bacon salad sounds nice gapants - can you give more details... grin?

cathers Tue 20-Sep-11 22:41:08

Agree with rock stock that Deliah ham recipe is the best.....however if pushed for time / oven space, just stick your gammon joint in a large pan on hob, pour in enough pure pineapple juice just to cover, bring to simmer and cook for just under an hour. Very eighties, but delicious.

LowLevelWhingeing Tue 27-Sep-11 14:43:35

After an AMAZING dinner at a local restaurant last weekend, my SIL and I have decided that she is going to bring a creamy celeriac soup and we will definitely have some dauphies on the side.

So,

Celeriac soup (and homemade bread rolls) and that fancy butter with massive salt crystals in it.

Rib of beef and probably a Delia ham
Roasties and dauphies.
Yorkshires.
Buttery carrots.
Sprouts of some description it's the law. (I'm going to try RockStock's mashed sprouts tonight).

So pudding...?

LowLevelWhingeing Tue 27-Sep-11 18:30:20

OMG mashed sprouts are a REVALATION!!

Nice one RockStock! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now