Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else cutting right back on presents this year?

(5 Posts)
AKMD Fri 16-Sep-11 21:24:10

DH and I have decided to cut right back in presents this year: one present for DS (who will be 20mo anyway and won't care), one present for me, one for him, my immediate family are doing a pick-a-name-from-a-hat one present each affair, his immediate family are mega present-buyers but are clear from last Christmas that we aren't spending more than £10 tops on one person (and I have just got SILs purses for about £2.50 each in the Monsoon sale) and my SiL and her family in the USA are getting a thoughtfully-chosen book each. Grandparents and other extended family members who might be around for Christmas will get homemade biscuits in fancy wrapping. Done.

No presents for people we happen to share an office with, friends, friends' children, stacks of presents for everyone or expensive stuff that we don't want or need.

This isn't because we can't afford the mountains of presents but just because I had my judgey-pants pulled up high when SiL in the States posted photo after photo of her DS1 posing ripping open an entire roomful (I kid you not) of expensive presents that she and BIL had bought him and I thought it was pretty indecent TBH. My family have always been on the more frugal side anyway and now that we are all 'grown up' it seems silly to spend so much money on each other.

Anyone else cutting right back or am I the only Scrooge around this year?

CherryMonster Fri 16-Sep-11 21:32:54

i am cutting back, not dramatically so because i dont buy for many people anyway, but i have started making jewellery recently so most adult friends and older children will get something pretty. family wise i buy for my 4 dc's, my brother and sister and my parents and thats it, not a large family and no longer with the father so no worries that side.

exoticfruits Fri 16-Sep-11 21:34:53

We cut back years ago-it gets out of hand.

olibeansmummy Sat 17-Sep-11 08:17:15

Not cutting back as such but I am putting a limit on how much I'll get ds rather than picking up all sorts as I see it. His list is long enough and not going to get any longer!

As for us, we've always bought a Big Thing We Need rather than little presents, so this year I long for a body shop gift set and socks etc lol so I hope for lots of little presents of the kind that most people hope they're not going to get! And I'll do the same for dh.

I think we've got the amount we spend on family about right so that'll be the same as other years.

Fayrazzled Sat 17-Sep-11 08:31:52

We're cutting back too. I just don't think it does (my) children any favours to have tons and tons of presents. I'll be getting them a few things each I think they will really play with and that will be it. We've cleared out lots of toys and books in the house recently, and they are playing better, using their imaginations more, and it's easier to tidy up. They have plenty and don't need excess. I'd rather spend the money on nice days out together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now