Talk

Advanced search

WANTED: a magical santa/christmas experience with young DC in the West Midlands

(12 Posts)
BabyDubsEverywhere Thu 15-Sep-11 00:15:26

Obviously not for just yet grin I will wait until december at least, but really want to take the DC to somewhere, this is the first year they are 'getting' the run up to Christmas and i really want something magical to spark the future Christmas'. Im on the west mids/staffordshire boarder, would prefer somewhere not a million miles away due to cost of actually getting there....

Also...

100 DAYS TO GO!!!

gillybean2 Thu 15-Sep-11 07:24:09

We're going to go here www.snowdome.co.uk/santas-winter-wonderland/

PGTip Thu 15-Sep-11 07:26:13

We have taken ours on the Santa express before and they loved it, can't remember where it went from but it was fairly local. If you google it it should come up.

gillybean2 Sat 17-Sep-11 08:58:05

We've done the santa express too. It was the best train based santa visit I've come accross (we have done several) but it wasn't a completely magical experience.
How old are the dc?

mmmmmchocolate Sat 17-Sep-11 18:50:04

Are you near to Telford? Telford wonderland is the best Santa experience I've come across! He's the real Santa (smile) there are also other things in the park to do. We have also gone on the Santa special on the Severn valley railway but while the train ride was nice it wasn't magical (even with 3 inches of snow on the ground) and the Santa was skinny, not jolly, in a rubbish suit and well crap. HTH.

learningtofly Sat 17-Sep-11 18:57:09

We went every year when I was a kid to the severn valley railway and I loved it. I don't have any recollections of the size of the Santas though! smile

We took ds last year and it was enjoyable, its a slick operation run pretty well (they have had many years practice seeing as I am now early 30's!) I was disappointed though at the lack of punch. Parents always got a glass of hot punch when I was a kid and they have stopped doing it!

cat64 Sat 17-Sep-11 19:05:57

Message withdrawn

mmmmmchocolate Sat 17-Sep-11 19:08:46

Ooh the punch would have been nice it was freezing! It was smooth running to be fair and the pictures look amazing! My DD's won't remember it I wouldn't think as the eldest was only 3 last year. It was just the little things like there was a brass band setting up but we never got to hear them play while we were waiting and Santa was in a cheap suit and seemed a bit put out to be there (it was Xmas eve though!) the photos of the DD's make it look magical so they will never know!

learningtofly Sat 17-Sep-11 19:13:38

I was looking forward to being old enough to drink the punch!

When we were slightly older we used to get the slightly later trains which ran as dusk was falling, the fairy lights were lovely and it was a tad quieter. We went for years (my dad is a life long member so regular trips there were compulsory!)

mmmmmchocolate Sat 17-Sep-11 19:23:42

That sounds lovely learningtofly smile

It said on the website that you could walk around Bewdley and see the Christmas lights but it really was too cold. If only wonderland Santa was at the end of the train ride it would be really fab!

gillybean2 Sun 18-Sep-11 08:28:56

Please say no to santa at the end of the train ride...
We did a santa train ride like that once. The train went along fine, then we had to wait while everyone went in to see Santa in family groups. It took about 2 hours and we were stuck on a freezing cold train while we waited with very very very bored children. Never again...

harrietlichman Sun 18-Sep-11 08:51:35

West Mids Santa Safari was good - we went two years ago (Santa Express last year, ok but absolutely freezing and had to sit on train for ages before moving off, kind of killed the mood!) You do get punch at Safari Park, which is warm but non alcoholic! Santa was lovely, belly like a bowl full of jelly and spent ages with the kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now