Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to a Country Living Christmas Fair?

(11 Posts)
Sinkingfeeling Thu 15-Sep-11 00:03:06

As title, really? Is it worth the ticket price, or could you pick up similar things online from the comfort of home?

moodymary Thu 15-Sep-11 21:57:31

I went the year before last and had a good day but it was really really crowded and to be honest a lot of the stalls were a bit same-y.
Most exhibitors are online so you could shop from home but there are lots of good gift ideas and I bought some beautiful glass tree ornaments which I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't seen them in real life!
I have been told that The Spirit of Christmas at Olympia is worth a visit so I may try that this year!

Sinkingfeeling Thu 15-Sep-11 22:46:56

Thanks Mary, that's good to know - might try Spirit of Olympia instead then!

Sinkingfeeling Thu 15-Sep-11 22:47:21

Obviously I mean Spirit of Christmas! blush

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 15-Sep-11 22:52:38

Spirit of Christmas is good, but it's huge and a bit overwhelming.

I had an offer through the post for a ticket for £28 the other day! I'm sure I went for free last year.

There's some nice stuff, but it gets very busy.

The one that's at the Royal Horticultural Halls can be good - I get free tickets for that through a magazine (can't remember which).

MadameCholetWasMyFavourite Fri 16-Sep-11 13:48:39

Hello Sinking - I've been to the Christmas Country Living Fayre and it is big and crowded but if you like the combination of Christmas and shopping and are in possession of a pair of very comfortable shoes then it will be a highlight of the year for you. You probably could find most of the items on sale online if you looked but there is something special about hands on Christmas Shopping. I wouldn't go if I was a) bothered by crowds b) short of money c) under any sort of time limit. I am hoping to go this year, you can get discounted tickets through Good Housekeeping.

PastGrace Sat 24-Sep-11 18:57:57

I'm bucket shaking for Clic Sargent at Spirit Of Christmas - will report back afterwards if you want, but that's probably a bit useless.

Bring lots of change for me if you are going though !

gazzalw Sat 24-Sep-11 19:01:45

It's full of wealthy ladies who lunch - some interesting things for sale but....

cadelaide Sat 24-Sep-11 21:12:37

I went to the Country Living Spring Fair, never again.

Everyone was the same. Female, 30+, bodenwhitestuffmonsoon, and it was heaving. Everywhere I turned I got a hotchpotch elbow in my face. All the stalls selling frenchvintagestylewhitewashedhearts and stuff made from reclaimed stuff.

And then the awful, awful moment when I realised I was one of them.

Sinkingfeeling Sat 24-Sep-11 21:56:09

Ah, OK perhaps not for me then. I'm not a lady who lunches, well only at my desk with a cheese sandwich, I'll never ever see 30 again, and I'll never make the sharp-elbowed brigade. Maybe I'll stay at home and make paper snowflakes with my children instead. grin

gazzalw Sun 25-Sep-11 07:18:19

But it is an experience - it's a more genteel form of tribal warfare!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now