Talk

Advanced search

Glass bottles for vodka making

(22 Posts)
blondewithasatnav Wed 14-Sep-11 22:51:53

I thought we needed a thread just for the bottles. Where are you getting yours from and how much are they costing?

WhatWouldLeoDo Wed 14-Sep-11 23:21:44

I got mine from jamjarshop.com - I went for one of the bottles listed under 'decorative bottles' I think. Sorry, rubbish at links on phone. I can't find the confirmation email to check price but they weren't expensive.

trumpton Fri 16-Sep-11 08:20:35

I have just bought salad dressing bottles and thrown the contents away.I did look at some on line but the postage to where i live was silly.

ThunderboltKid Fri 16-Sep-11 09:13:18

I've bought these 69p each

DooinMeCleanin Fri 16-Sep-11 09:14:59

Vodka making you say?

<very interested>

Last time I wandered into a thread I knew nothing it was about polishing kettles confused. This one is much more down my street grin

ThunderboltKid Fri 16-Sep-11 09:28:16

Haha thread title is probably slightly misleading

You need vodka to begin with...and its about making flavoured vodka for Christmas presents (apparently, it can be flavoured with all sorts - skittles, worthers originals, wham bars) grin

DooinMeCleanin Fri 16-Sep-11 09:30:22

Aw, I got all excited then. Worthers flavoured Vodka does ineterst me, though. I might try that.

Kveta Fri 16-Sep-11 09:41:20

I got these bottles for gifting the vodka, but made it in IKEA Slom jars, which are v. cheap versions of Kilners. I had read someone saying they didn't work for her, but I made sure the seal was on properly, and have had no problems.

and here is a thread full of alcohol recipes for those who are interested! (the christmas pud one I can wholeheartedly recommend!!)

blondewithasatnav Fri 16-Sep-11 16:39:49

Thank you Bolt that is a bargain!

trumpton Sat 17-Sep-11 13:39:56

I have made and bottled Raspberry Gin ,
I am making Autumn Fruit Vodka and Christmas Pudding Vodka.
Keeping the Seasonal theme going any thoughts for a Spring flavour ?

zaphod Sun 18-Sep-11 09:23:56

Could I use those little wine bottles from the pub with the screw tops?

WhatWouldLeoDo Sun 18-Sep-11 09:57:30

I got these 250ml cordial bottles for 69p each. I also got some festive labels from them to use.

The postage was a bit steep - around £6 I think. Of course, I realised after it was too late that there were a few other things I could have bought that would have made me feel a bit better about the postage.

zaphod Sun 18-Sep-11 10:06:58

14.95 postage is a bit expensive for me, but those bottles and jars look great.

Kveta Sun 25-Sep-11 19:32:55

trumpton - elderflower vodka, maybe? here

AmaraDresden Sun 25-Sep-11 22:19:22

Zaphod - yes! Just wash thoroughly and sterilise. I've collected bottles from a couple of local businesses and they're going to be perfect, 200ml and 250ml ones. Didn't cost me a penny unless you count going for coffee and buttering up the staff and owners (which I'd have done minus the shameless begging anyway!).

AmaraDresden Sun 25-Sep-11 22:19:22

Zaphod - yes! Just wash thoroughly and sterilise. I've collected bottles from a couple of local businesses and they're going to be perfect, 200ml and 250ml ones. Didn't cost me a penny unless you count going for coffee and buttering up the staff and owners (which I'd have done minus the shameless begging anyway!).

glitterkitty Mon 26-Sep-11 18:31:20

Ikea do lovely glass bottles for 1.50. Have just stocked up for my sloe gin!

Isla77 Tue 27-Sep-11 20:30:39

Is it possible to do flavoured gin as well and if so can anyone tell me the best way to do it please?

mogs0 Tue 27-Sep-11 21:30:59

I have bought from jamjarshop too. I bought 2 different sizes of the flip top bottles when they were bogof and they were very reasonably priced.

I bought them for last Christmas and bought so many to make the most of their offer that I still have loads left blush.

Isla - I currently have damson gin infusing(?!) in my kitchen. I was in a bit of rush when I put it all together so not sure how it'll turn out but I just mixed gin, caster sugar and damsons. I was under the impression that if the fruit had been frozen first that it wouldn't need pricking but I don't think it's worked. I'm putting off taking the fruit out and pricking them by hand because there are about 100 damsons altogether!

moajab Tue 27-Sep-11 22:20:28

How well do the flavoured vodkas keep for? If I make some soonish will they still be ok for Christmas or will I have to drink them myself and make fresh nearer the time! grin

Isla77 Wed 28-Sep-11 12:06:32

Oh my goodness mogs0! Hope it has worked as it sounds delicious.

funnypeculiar Wed 28-Sep-11 12:11:48

marking my place as I've been looking for jars for Christmas pudding vodka...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now