Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for photo calendars....

(21 Posts)
OoopsWeDidItAgain Tue 13-Sep-11 14:36:06

...the one's where you can add your own photos onto?

I've done these previously for Grandparents and always just used Jessops. They are nice quality but can be a touch on the expensive side.

In light of tighter purse strings this year, has anyone used any other websites that they would recommend? There seem to be a lot that offer this now and it's so hard to decide which one to use confused

NoWittyName Tue 13-Sep-11 16:54:17

Personally I am a huge photobox fan. Have a look at their website and see what you think. If you decide to go with them will you PM me your e-mail address first and I'll 'recommend' you as a friend. That way we both get some free prints too.

xx

mogs0 Tue 13-Sep-11 17:14:01

I bought blank calendars a few years ago, printed off my own photos and stuck them on. They are perpetual (is that the right word?) so I planned for them to be used as birthday calendars. I tried to put a photo of the person who has a birthday on 'their' month or something relevant ie christmassy photo for December.

They cost £1 each and photo printing for each calendar probably cost about £4 because I also had to pay to scan some of the photos.

I'll try and look for the website I got them from if you're interested.

chirpchirp Tue 13-Sep-11 17:14:22

Another vote for Photobox here too, I use them for all my prints/cards/canvases the lot. Have done calendars through them the last couple of years and they've been great. I also think that they lead the way when it comes to customer service and on the rare occassion that I have had a problem with anything they've sorted it out quickly and efficiently and at their own expense.

AriNi31 Tue 13-Sep-11 17:35:17

Snapfish are really good. I made some calendars for grandparents and things last year and the quality when they came was great! Usually do a 50% off offer nearer November.

maclover135 Tue 13-Sep-11 18:20:10

I'd second Snapfish - I've used them for the last 2 years and the quality is good. They also run several Xmas offers in the lead up to Christmas.

OoopsWeDidItAgain Tue 13-Sep-11 18:58:55

Snapfish and Photobox to check out then. Thanks for those recommendations. I had been looking at Vistaprint but some reviews I read elsewhere put me off a bit.

Will get the kids to bed and have a proper look. Thank you again

WhatWouldLeoDo Tue 13-Sep-11 20:00:36

I use photobox loads for photobooks etc and have used them for calendars too for Christmas gift for parents, GP's etc. However, last year I used vistaprint and they were absolutely fine. Cheap as chips too.

OoopsWeDidItAgain Tue 13-Sep-11 20:17:49

That's what first drew me too them to be honest WhatWouldLeoDo.

But then I started to worry that it must be too good to be true! What was the quality of the calendars like?

WhatWouldLeoDo Tue 13-Sep-11 20:30:35

Honestly, the quality was fine. The photobox ones I used to do were probably better quality but the difference wasn't enough to justify the price difference.

With vistaprint there's all sorts of tricks to get you to spend more but you just have to watch out for those. E.g. They'll offer a 'free' calendar but charge you for uploading pics or then offer you 3 calendars for 9.99. Just be a wee bit savvy - if you're charged for uploading pics make sure you upload enough pics that will do for all your calendars (if you're doing different ones for different people). If they offer you x for 9.99 work out if it's cheaper to order the same number of calendars separately. Oh, and start early so you can pick the cheapest delivery option (although I've actually always found them pretty prompt).

Photobox etc often do offers, but I still find vistaprint cheaper. I should get started on mine soon!

OoopsWeDidItAgain Tue 13-Sep-11 21:24:57

I might give Vistaprint a try then. I liked that you could your own special dates in - no-one will be able to forget my birthday then grin

The reviews I'd read said to watch out for extra costs and VIP membership so I guess as long as I'm careful and don't rush it I should be ok.

I like some of the Photobox designs though.....hmmm decisions decisions.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated

kittens Tue 13-Sep-11 21:31:08

I would definitely recommend Photobox. You can add photodates in with Photobox and have a photo on that date too - I have done this every year (for the past 7 years) for my whole family and its great we never forget a birthday. They also check your photos automatically so you don't end up with a calendar with poor quality pictures.

My niece used Vistaprint and the quality of the paper was poor and it didn't tell her when some of her pics were low resolution so some of the pics looked really rubbish.

Also if you create a calendar and leave it in your basket you'll find they'll send you an offer code to encourage you to order it...

OoopsWeDidItAgain Tue 13-Sep-11 22:16:59

I logged into Photobox and discovered the Christmas Cards I sent last year - how forgetful am I!!!!!

That's interesting what you you say about them sending you a code if you design something but don't order it Kittens. They are not cheap are they.

Hmmmmmm.....goes away to deliberate some more

Scuttlebutter Wed 14-Sep-11 01:36:36

Another one here who loves Photobox. I've used them for calendars, prints, mugs and photobooks etc and have have always been very happy with the quality of prints and the rapid speed of delivery. Last Christmas a mug I ordered was not quite right, I phoned them and the replacement was with me within two days during the chaotic pre Christmas post period - brilliant service. I like how you can vary the layouts, add photos for special dates like birthdays, and once you've uploaded a good selection, you can use them for various projects. Also, they keep sending me loads of offer codes and discounts - I'll shortly be using these for some nice stocking fillers like some of the little photo fridge magnets and so on. A really nice gift. Prints are always a good quality too - I've had various sizes.

WhatWouldLeoDo Wed 14-Sep-11 06:35:00

Crikey, now I'm tempted to go back to photobox for my calendars grin. Thinking about it, I usually take an upgrade on the card and would only use photos taken with my camera so haven't ever had any issues with card quality or photo resolution with Vistaprint.

I'm not going to say any more good things about Vistaprint in case you think I'm working for them (I'm not!!wink), but OP, if you're not sure, you could always try doing one on Vistaprint to check price and quality now and see what you think?

If you do go for Photobox, I'd definitely prepare them online and then hold out for a buy one get one free offer, which is probably the best deal you'll get.

TeaOneSugar Wed 14-Sep-11 16:54:23

We use vista print and have never had any problems with quality, which reminds me, I probably need to start organising some photos.

ja9 Wed 14-Sep-11 18:15:10

Another vote for photobox calendars. Expensive but there is usually an offer kicking around. 3 for 2 etc....

chirpchirp Sat 17-Sep-11 08:55:30

Just got an email from photobox who are doing 3 for 2 on all calendars until 22nd September, enter the code 2012CAL at checkout.

gillybean2 Sat 17-Sep-11 09:01:56

Make your own!
www.yellowmoon.org.uk/product-Create-a-Calendar-K153.htm

cloudofpink Sat 17-Sep-11 09:05:00

Photobox also normally do a 3 for 2 calendar offer at the end of November. Generally about a day after I have ordered mine when I lose the nerve to wait any longer for them to put the special offer on!

myBOYSareBONKERS Sat 17-Sep-11 19:24:45

Has any one tried Tesco?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now