Talk

Advanced search

Christmas for two ideas

(7 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Sun 11-Sep-11 17:14:41

Thanks to someone mentioning pinterest on one of the other boards I've become an addict and have seen loads of lovely things I would love to make!

However due to the stress and drama last year we are spending Christmas on our own just the two of us - can it still be exciting or will we end up bored with each other?

CherryMonster Sun 11-Sep-11 17:37:27

ooooooh, going out on christmas eve just after dark to see all the houses lit up, coming back and having a hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows, reading a good book before bed with more hot choc, getting up xmas morning to no rushing around because the meat was cooked yesterday, and all the veg was prepared before bed, vegging out and watching christmas films all day. oh, i would love my christmasses to be that simple xx

Scuttlebutter Mon 12-Sep-11 23:19:53

We often have Christmas which is just me and DH, plus the three dogs. Christmas Eve we cook the turkey and sometimes do a bit of veg peeling. We eat a special seafood feast and have a bottle of either champagne or Meursault (one of my favourite wines), while watching Muppet Christmas Carol, and singing along badly. smile

On Christmas Day we wake up to stockings each - can't lie in too long as dogs usually wake us. One of us makes a cuppa, lets dogs out, then we all (woofs as well) open our stockings on the bed in a big heap, with dogs sniffing things and usually playing with wrapping paper.

We get dressed - dog walking clothes and take woofs for a nice walk - distance depends on weather. Then home, feed woofs and enjoy a late brunch for us of something like scrambled eggs, smoked salmon or similar. Then have a shower and put on some nice clothes/makeup and come back down for a gin. Settle down around the tree with lovely Christmas music playing and will often ring a couple of relatives/friends for a quick Merry Christmas phone call. Then we open our presents - usually assisted/supervised by woofs. This takes a bit of time, as it's very relaxed and we both enjoy watching the other open their gifts. Also make a note of who gave what so we can do thank yous. Then DH disappears into the kitchen and cooks Christmas dinner. I help by laying the table (best china), putting out crackers, keeping music topped up and so on. We usually eat around 5 - it's very special, and we always have a romantic toast to us. After eating, feed the woofs (they often get turkey), do some very desultory tidying, and have a lovely relaxing evening. Depending on what's on, we might watch some TV, but often we'll be reading (often get new books for Christmas).

It's very quiet, and probably wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but for us, it's just perfect, and we love it - my favourite day of the year. Boxing Day is always very relaxed too - lots of turkey sandwiches, usually a few mindless films on TV and a nice walk with the woofs.

We really enjoy the run up to Christmas, and both do things like decorating the tree, DH puts up masses of lights (house is visible from space!), I make a wreath for front door and so on.

LRDTheFeministDragon Tue 13-Sep-11 13:17:13

We do this. It can be lovely IMO - very quiet and romantic. But you need to put more effort into setting the mood! Make sure you decorate (it's a lovely thing to do on Christmas Eve if there are just two of you as you anticipate so much more, but not always practical I know). Last year I had a big jug of christmassy greenery and dark red roses by the door as you came in and it just put me straight in the right mood. And maybe choose a film you'll plan to watch and plan a walk or if you're religious/like music, a carol service to go to. DH and I got each other lots of little presents as it looks a bit sad having just two or three big ones to open - a pile of little frivolous ones is more fun.

I don't drink, but if I did, a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge so you can have a glass with scrambled eggs for breakfast is nice.

cjbartlett Tue 13-Sep-11 13:21:37

I had Xmas once on my own with dh

It was the year Titanic was on TV so we watched that after lunch - what a cheerful film grin
I really missed my family tbh but as we don't live near either sets of parents it was bliss having no travelling & packing to do

LRDTheFeministDragon Tue 13-Sep-11 13:25:43

Skype?

My brother and my husband's family are both overseas, so thank god for skype IMO!

PamBeesly Tue 13-Sep-11 21:22:35

Two Xmas's ago DH and I had a Xmas meatball cook-off. Neither of us are fans of roast dinners so the turkey would be lost on us. We woke up and exchanged presents, went for a walk and came back and started our 'competition' I made mine with beef mince and diced sun dried tomato, basil and garlic sauce, he made north African lamb meatballs with harissa. He won by half a point. His were better though smile
Usually our Xmas involves lovely wine and cheese, lots of crap festive TV and films.
This is our last Xmas with just the 2 of us so we'll do something lovely again this year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now