Talk

Advanced search

Right then, a Christmas Cake...

(15 Posts)
KinkyDorito Thu 08-Sep-11 13:21:36

So, having decided to host my own, very first, super family Christmas at home I am going to have to get my act together and figure out what this actually means in terms of preparations.

I have never made a Christmas cake. I love the idea of using amaretto in it, but apart from that am stumped as to what I need to do, when, and which recipe to use.

Suggestions and guidance gratefully received.

supadupapupascupa Thu 08-Sep-11 17:27:31

i asked the same question here grin

going to start my investigations this weekend

KinkyDorito Thu 08-Sep-11 17:50:54

A response! Thank you from saving me from being in no-answer to my thread hell!

Report back if you find useful info, and I will do the same.

I'll bet I find out that it's something that should have already been started...

KinkyDorito Thu 08-Sep-11 17:53:51

I found Delia's recipe online, but some say soak fruit longer, and do I just bung (technical term) amaretto in instead of brandy? Or both. Maybe with some vodka for good measure.

I'm sure it will be fine. And if it's not, I'll drink the amaretto, then it will be very fine indeed grin.

Waswondering Thu 08-Sep-11 17:55:51

Nigella's chocolate Christmas cake, made with tia maria, is awesome. Very easy, can be made a day or three before and sooo moist and yummy. You don't really know it's chocolate so don't be put off ....

KinkyDorito Thu 08-Sep-11 19:52:45

Hmmmm. That sounds rather fab.

WorzselMummage Thu 08-Sep-11 19:56:58

I made Delias at the weekend, bunged a load of chopped walnuts in it 'cos i like them and a hell of a lot more brandy than the prescribed amount and it smells wonderful. I made it last year and it was LUSH.

I stewed my fruit for a couple of weeks beforehand.

I think you can pretty much mix and match with christmas cake recipes as long as the basic eggs/flour/butter mix is there.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 08-Sep-11 19:58:35

Delias recipe is fab and very easy to follow. But yes, soak the fruit for longer if you can. I generally put it to soak Friday morning to start baking Saturday afternoon. Will be doing mine one day next week this year though as DD is going to nursery so she'll be out the way

Bunbaker Thu 08-Sep-11 19:59:27

Make sure that everyone who is likely to eat the cake loves marzipan, as Amaretto has a very distinct marzipan taste.

KinkyDorito Thu 08-Sep-11 20:08:16

We love marzipan, so no worries there!

Thanks everyone smile.

KinkyDorito Thu 08-Sep-11 20:11:03

DH says I have to make both so he can compare! One nigella tia maria chocolate fruitcake and one delia with an amaretto twist. He'll be like a pig in clover.

FreeButtonBee Thu 08-Sep-11 20:11:58

I also made Nigella's chocolate christmas cake and it was very nice. My booze of choice was whiskey though. I even ate some and i don't like christmas cake! Dh really loved it - he is the christmas cake lover in our house.

TheSydenhamSet Thu 08-Sep-11 20:18:16

another vote for delia's. it tastes amazing and so moist! oo, i do love Christmas cake. Yum!

glitterkitty Fri 09-Sep-11 11:08:34

Marking place, will be doing my cake v soon too. Might do Mary Berrys this year as every recipe of hers I have done so far has been excellent...

Tried the no suet mincemeat last year and was not impressed. And still got 2 puddings left over- so not bothering with that again!

Lizzylou Fri 09-Sep-11 11:43:05

I did a simmer and stir one last year with macademia.
It was roundly agreed that it was the best Christmas cake ever tasted (could have just been being polite!), even people who don't like Christmas cake normally liked it.
This one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now