Talk

Advanced search

baby's first christmas, very confused already

(8 Posts)
Filibear Fri 02-Sep-11 11:50:14

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Filibear Fri 02-Sep-11 11:50:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Nettee Fri 02-Sep-11 11:55:21

There is no right answer. What about your DH's family? do you normally see them at some point?

You have to create a new family tradition but if you want things very differently to each other the maybe agree to do alternate years your way and his way. Doesn't get away from what to do for the first christmas though.

I would not like to be just the four of us at Christmas but I think that DH would - I have never relented though so must be very selfish despite this advice. Mind you I say that but some years one of us has been working so we have had to move the proper christmas to another day.

Filibear Fri 02-Sep-11 12:06:39

CherryMonster Fri 02-Sep-11 13:40:05

both of my boys first christmasses were spent with my parents (only for the day as it wasnt far then) and i loved it. unfortunatly, we were unable to do the same for the girls as my parents only have a small house, which wont fit 9 people for christmas day so now my sister spends christmas here with me, my bother and the kids, and parents come for the day on boxing day.

girlywhirly Fri 02-Sep-11 15:03:58

Is DS the first grandchild, in which case would your ILS make an exception to the Christmas eve and do Christmas day instead at theirs or yours? Or would your parents like to come to yours?

We had a Christmas day at home when DS was 16mths. It was fine, but it wasn't his first and we went to MILS the next day. The first Christmas MIL and SIL came to us.

I think it will be fine if you are at home. It won't make any difference to DS as presumably he will see the relatives at your parents on Boxing day. It would be different if you were not going to see any of your family at all over the Christmas period. However, now there is a child to consider, don't feel bound to travel every Christmas. It can be hard work trying to transport large toys, tiring and miserable in traffic delays and bad weather, and one day your Mum might be glad to not do Christmas for everyone as the family grows.

I think you might find it easier this Christmas to go to your Mums, but it's only a day.

knittedbreast Fri 02-Sep-11 18:57:29

if i were you id go this year as your lo wont remember and then have your first xmas to be remembered at home just the three of you.

best of both worlds, this year you dont lift a finger and everyone coos over him. and then in future you get to see the excitement and joy in his eyes when he discovers baubals and tree lights

NoHunIntended Sat 03-Sep-11 20:11:54

There's no right way to do it, but I wanted our first Christmas as a family (DS was two and a half months old for Christmas last year) just the three of us, so what your husband is requesting. New family, new start.
Luckily for us, my husband was happy with this idea, but if you can't agree, then maybe toss a chocolate coin!

All being well/normal/equal, I'd like to try and do Christmas maybe:
- alone (just DH, DS and any other children we eventually have)
- my family
- DH's family
- abroad
... and repeat til fade!

Shame everyone doesn't live closer, and that we don't have a mansion to be able to host everyone. Maybe one day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now