Talk

Advanced search

Ultimate Christmas book.....Nigella? Delia? or Other?

(18 Posts)
BabyDubsEverywhere Sun 28-Aug-11 17:08:40

Ive got Delia 2009 and Nigella with family and friends christmas editions on watch at the moment....I dont know who to go for and DH cant see the importance of such issues! grin

Any other recommendations will be gratefully recieved smile

mmmmmchocolate Sun 28-Aug-11 17:36:49

Delia.

Nigellas stuff isn't foolproof, doesn't always work and things I've made to the letter have tasted nasty. Delias stuff is more traditional but always works and will please the majority. HTH smile

Doobydoo Sun 28-Aug-11 17:42:00

I like 'em bothsmile

pointydog Sun 28-Aug-11 17:46:31

I'd choose delia. Cause Nigella's a little bit rubbish really.

Delia's recipes work, much better combos of ingredients.

Ragwort Sun 28-Aug-11 17:47:41

Another vote for Delia grin.

maclover135 Sun 28-Aug-11 19:00:16

Another for Delia! Have made Nigella's chilli jam and rockie road as presents though but prefer Delia for most things. The mincemeat is an annual event in this house - delicious smile

welliesundermeballgoon Sun 28-Aug-11 19:17:38

Which Delia are you going for though? There seems to be 4/5 on Ebay Are they all the same with new covers?

exoticfruits Sun 28-Aug-11 19:22:17

Delia everytime. She does a Christmas book.

Lucewheel Sun 28-Aug-11 19:28:35

Women's Institute complete christmas for me.

LordOfTheFlies Sun 28-Aug-11 20:21:45

I want Heston Blumenthal to do a Christmas Book.

No ,I want Heston Blumenthal to come round my house and do some cooking for me. Not on The Day, you understand.
And only vegetarian food.

FoundWanting Sun 28-Aug-11 20:56:36

I use both Delia and Nigella, and numerous 'Perfect Christmas' mini books I've collected from magazines over the years. If I could only pick one, it would be Nigella's - especially for the party food.

I'd really love Ainsley Harriot to do a Christmas book. blush His food always gets guzzled down by mine lots.

JetLi Sun 28-Aug-11 21:04:58

This magazine of Delia's is bloody good. It divides the cooking into 4 preparation weekends and it guides you through all the cooking so that you end up with most stuff pre-prepared and stashed away in the freezer.

LolaLadybird Sun 28-Aug-11 21:45:50

I have both and like them equally. Delia good for more traditional stuff, Nigella a little bit different. My Xmas cake recipe I cut out of a BBC Good Food magazine several years ago and re-use every time.

I love the ritual of sitting down with the books in early December and planning ...

thefirstmrsrochester Sun 28-Aug-11 21:55:18

Got a scandinavian book (summat bout cloudberries) and been longing to go down that route however Delia has never let me down.
That said, i dont have a Nigella cookbook.
Off to Amazon to redress the balance.
Dead early to be menu planning - round one of the 'who hosts xmas' fight hasnt started here yet.

BabyDubsEverywhere Sun 28-Aug-11 22:08:36

This is great thankyou, looks like Delia wins, her Christmas 2009 hardback is available from £7 on amazon, not checked ebay yet.

Only 118 days to go smile

MmeLindor. Sun 28-Aug-11 22:09:45

It is AUGUST.

Buy some sun cream.

BabyDubsEverywhere Sun 28-Aug-11 22:10:16

Oh bugger it Im getting both grin

LolaLadybird Mon 29-Aug-11 08:56:23

grin at MMeLindor. She is right but I can never resist a bit of Xmas chat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now