Talk

Advanced search

Is there a nice way to ask this?

(12 Posts)
PonceyMcPonce Fri 26-Aug-11 18:01:01

dd has decided she would like to go on sporting trip next summer. She is very willing to save up etc.

Family and friends usually spend about £20 on a gift, but obv times are hard. If anyone asks for suggestions, is there a nice way to say could she have some cash, but maybe a stocking filler to unwrap?

Sounds like asking for more, but £5-10 cash and primark scarf or pair of earrings would be lower net spend. I think she would feel a bit sad to have handful of envelopes while her sisters open lots of gifts.

Any ideas?

lilolilmanchester Fri 26-Aug-11 18:07:13

I think if anyone asks, you say she really would appreciate money towards her trip. I don't think you can ask for both. If she's old enough to go on such a trip, she's old enough to appreciate (or learn to appreciate) that it means a handful of envelopes while her sisters open lots of gifts.... (tho if someone said that to me, I would automatically give "a little something" as well as the cash... )

tigerlillyd02 Fri 26-Aug-11 20:03:30

You could perhaps ask for cash from family & friends and she'll have her presents from you so won't entirely be without anything to open?

cjbartlett Fri 26-Aug-11 20:06:11

I don't think you can ask tbh
I'd ask a grandparent to help out if they had the means nearer the time but not have it involve Xmas at all

olibeansmummy Fri 26-Aug-11 20:41:06

Tbh I don't think you can ask for both either. Could you give her some cash and a few presents and ask for presents from other people?

PonceyMcPonce Sat 27-Aug-11 00:51:55

Hmm, clearly no nice way to ask! No grandparents, so will have to play by ear and see if people ask. And get job sweeping chimneys!

jasper Sat 27-Aug-11 01:08:42

no,I don't think you should ask for cash, it's rude.

And although people may have SEEM to have spent about £20 on gifts in the past, they may have bought them in sales or have recycled old gifts.

And they might not be planning on spending that much this year

You def can't ask for both

girlywhirly Sat 27-Aug-11 14:15:50

Could relatives club together to buy her something for the trip, sports wear, accessories and so on so that they would be getting her a gift and she would have something to open?

It really depends on your relatives and friends whether they will be offended to be asked for cash or grateful not to have to think of a gift! But I think most people would be pleased to think they'd given something that would be used.

Scaevola Sat 27-Aug-11 14:21:06

If someone asks you what she'd like, I think you can tell them.

I don't think there is a nice way to initiate the subject to tell people to give cash (when they have not raised the subject of a present at all). Possible exceptions are your own parents/siblings, as family intimacy might over-ride ordinary considerations.

cat64 Sat 27-Aug-11 14:27:33

Message withdrawn

justcallmemummypig Sat 27-Aug-11 14:29:33

I don't think that you can ask for both, but if you were my friend and dropped it into conversation - i would be happy to give cash instead. I would think if you are close enough to give presents, then you are close enough to ask for this instead x

exoticfruits Sat 27-Aug-11 14:39:21

I think that if anyone is close enough to give presents they are close enough to ask. You can always give it as another possibility-I have always assumed that they prefer money once they get to a certain age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now