Talk

Advanced search

Skittle bottles any good for liqueurs?

(10 Posts)
Frog253 Thu 25-Aug-11 14:03:22

Planing to make the Christmas Pudding Vodka this year and the Skittle Bottles from Wares of Knutsford look a good buy. Just wondering whether these bottles need a sterilise first or just a hot water rinse? I am slightly concerned about the plastic lids being damaged by a dishwasher run. Phoned Wares and they were pretty non-committal. Since am making a Vodka liqueur rather than some sort of syrup my instinct tells me that the alcohol will prevent any germy growth.
So has anyone used these bottles for a liqueur and how did you prepare them? Also what do you make the vodka in? Do you use a kilner type jar which you sterilise beforehand or do you make it in the original vodka bottle (or something else?)

WhatWouldLeoDo Thu 25-Aug-11 19:58:05

Bump for you as I'd like to know too. grin

Pamplemoussse Thu 25-Aug-11 20:21:42

hmm I'm not sure

I always use ceramic swing tops, sterilise by dishwashering

For the making, I use kilners or talas, the ones from IKEA don't seal perfectly and oxidise

again, hot handwash then through the dishwasher

Or alternatively I have used clean empty 1l bottles with a recipe that calls for say 600ml gin/vokda/whatever

Frog253 Thu 25-Aug-11 20:48:14

Hi, I've found these bottleswww.goodlifehomebrew.com/frosted-glass-liqueur-bottle-20cl.php. They look like they are designed for the job and the metal lid should withstand a v. hot wash (not sure about being knocked around in a dishwasher though).

WhatWouldLeoDo Thu 25-Aug-11 22:33:14

Would cold water sterilising do for the lids?

UKSky Fri 26-Aug-11 23:10:44

No need to sterilise as you're using vodka. Just wash in hot water.

Frog253 Sat 27-Aug-11 13:21:29

UKSky that's what I was thinking, pleased to get some reassurance.

TrillianAstra Sat 27-Aug-11 13:38:57

If you want big bottles to put things in These are cheaper than some bottles you can buy from John Lewis and they come with posh lemonade in!

750ml is quite big though.

(compare here)

Frog253 Tue 30-Aug-11 18:19:58

Please note that if you order the bottles I have suggested then you need to buy the lids AS WELL....GRRRRR!

Trygg Tue 30-Aug-11 18:38:13

im squinting at those skittle bottles...are they glass with a plastic lid? or all plastic?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now