Talk

Advanced search

growing christmas trees.

(6 Posts)
twinmummy24 Wed 24-Aug-11 12:21:00

just wondered if anyone has ever attempted to grow christmas trees from seeds? i was thinking about getting my DD's to grow some to give to teachers and friends etc, figured i would need to start soon in order to get a baby tree in time grin

think i probably stole this idea from a fellow MNetter so i am sure there is someone out there who has done it!

girlywhirly Wed 24-Aug-11 15:25:26

It's possible that you might not get any trees this year, I don't know the growing time of the conifer you choose to grow, but all trees take a long time generally. You might be better off asking on the gardening topic.

According to my gardening book, a Norway spruce grows at a rate of 30cms per year, so even if you started now, you would have something 15 or less cms assuming the germination went well. What will you do if they don't grow, will you have a plan B?

ilovedjasondonovan Wed 24-Aug-11 19:36:11

Yes, we're doing it. Currently they are about 3 inches high (grown in under a year). Might beableto get a piece of lamenta on them by Xmas.

We've grown them from seed in an electric propagator and have been fairly successful in the germination.

Good luck.

Flisspaps Wed 24-Aug-11 19:39:04

We have one in our garden, I've not grown it from seed but we've been here 5 years and it's gone from being about 6ins to 5ft.

CherryMonster Wed 24-Aug-11 21:19:45

yes, this is what i had planned to do this year (forgot last year) intended planting next month as not worried how big they are as know they will grow x

LordOfTheFlies Wed 24-Aug-11 22:47:56

I've got one in a pot which is about 3 years old. It hasn't grown upwards because the top had been cut sad , but has got bulkier,

At this moment in time it is proudly wearing blue solar berry lights Aaaahh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now