Talk

Advanced search

How much do you spend

(25 Posts)
littlemagic Tue 23-Aug-11 19:37:35

Hi was just wondering how much do you spend on your parents and siblings at Christmas. I spend about £35 is this to little or to much. X

Nagoo Tue 23-Aug-11 19:43:42

way hey!

The first one where we all get to say that our kids get 20p and a slap for Christmas and are grateful!

I missed these smile

aaahh boo Now I've read the OP. Parents? Siblings? Nothing.. we are all poor so have decided that only children get presents smile

mumatron Tue 23-Aug-11 19:49:07

I hate these threads! I can never post because people are disgusted at what I spend.

Spend what you can afford op, without getting into debt.

MugglesandLuna Tue 23-Aug-11 19:51:27

These threads always end badly sad

aquos Tue 23-Aug-11 19:51:32

I spend about £30 each on parents and siblings. The siblings with young children we just buy for the children, not the adults.

osd Tue 23-Aug-11 19:54:56

IMO £35 is fine, I buy what I can anywhere even off of ebay. Newish no-one knows (until now) I have bought a train table for my son its a dooer upper but I will make it lovely by Christmas, middle son scale farm online loads of recycled plastic trucks on sale, normally spend between £0 and £20 on kids and family and £0 - £50 on hubby. But this is all I can afford. And I like to think I am a good gift buyer and buy with love. This year family are getting books. x

littlemagic Tue 23-Aug-11 19:57:49

Sorry for starting this thread! It just i have kids and the rest of family doesn't and i would prefer not to buy for them or spend about a tenner and Give more to the kids. But none of the family seem to see this!

MugglesandLuna Tue 23-Aug-11 20:13:23

No, its okay to start a thread smile

Every year someone starts a thread asking how much we spend on the DC's. It ticks along nicely for a while until some scrooge one comes along to tell us all off for turning our children into materialistic brats.

I would say spend what you like. When it comes to other family members I always shop in sales or on Ebay (for new stuff) so it looks like I have spent more than I have.

mumatron Tue 23-Aug-11 20:20:24

It's fine to start this thread, it just usually turns into a bitch fest!

We're all ruining our dc and turning them into spoilt brats if we spend more than a tenner on them.

Don't worry about what the rest of your family think. Tell them you have made a budget and will be sticking to it, regardless of what they plan to spend.

Nagoo Tue 23-Aug-11 20:35:03

Just buy them small but nice things in your budget.

knittedbreast Tue 23-Aug-11 20:44:46

go on mumatron do tell.... ;)

I spend about 20 on each parent and 10 on boyfs sisters, however i may suggest we dont this year

NHScutback Tue 23-Aug-11 20:47:17

20 quid on siblings and 30-50 quid on parents.

jafina Tue 23-Aug-11 20:48:53

I don't budget for each person but try to buy them something they might want. So one person might get a book and one might get a nice piece of clothing. Average probably £50 each.

LynetteScavo Tue 23-Aug-11 21:03:42

It's a bit of an odd OP....£35 can't be too little or too much.

There are lots of factors involved in how much people spend, what your disposable income is, what is customary in your family.

Some years we have agreed on no adult presents, other years we have had a theme.

I buy adults in my family token gifts, I give nephew and nieces a present of about £10-£20.

DH will spend about £20-£30 on his family. If he remembers to go shopping.

mumatron Tue 23-Aug-11 21:05:30

Parents and dp's siblings get £50 each. Wider family gets nowt! We aren't really close tbh.

Not telling what my dc get as I'd have to namechange, and I like this one grin

All that matters to me is I don't get into debt and my dc are happy with what they have. I could spend less but it's christmas! It's once a year.

littlemagic Tue 23-Aug-11 22:26:00

Thanks for all your help. I don't get into debt over Christmas. I think i will just go with the flow. Lynettescavo what kind of themes do you do? That sound really interesting

WhatWouldLeoDo Tue 23-Aug-11 22:58:17

I probably spend around £30 - £40 on parents. As well as getting something for me and DH they're all very generous to DS so I feel it's the least we can do. Re: siblings - those that don't have children get around £30 - £40 spent on them because again, they buy for me, DH and DS. Those that have children just get a token as a couple e.g. bottle of wine and some chocs and we buy the children presents.

IME it's easier to cut down on the adult presents if everyone has children.

olibeansmummy Wed 24-Aug-11 12:50:02

About £20 on my parents, nothing on dh's parents (at their request, they don't get us anything either). Just buy for neices and nephews as it gets too hard to know what to buy sisters, brothers and bils. We do buy for my youngest brother though as he's only 14, but probabely only spend a tenner. There's no need to get ridiculous about spending or you'll just end up worrying!

wfrances Wed 24-Aug-11 16:33:33

you should always spend what you can afford-and dont do it on cost either ,if youve got something cheap dont buy more.
last year i managed to get hold of some lovely patchwork letters from anthropologie,perfect for teenage girls for £2 in a sale.rrp was £12 -

RogerMelly Wed 24-Aug-11 16:39:50

we sopend about 10 pound each on our parents as that is barely what we can afford but I agree that you should spend what you can and want to and it is no-one elses business

knittedbreast Wed 24-Aug-11 19:48:21

mumatron im slightly dissapointed, i was thinking much more!

usualsuspect Wed 24-Aug-11 19:50:27

£1.37

mumatron Wed 24-Aug-11 20:39:17

Sorry to disappoint knitted! It's the amount I spend on the dc is what pisses people off usually.

oksonowwhat Wed 24-Aug-11 21:23:54

I only buy for my mum and dad now not sisters and brother in laws etc., But i obviously buy for my three kids and as they are teenagers this can go on for ever and cost a small fortune. I really need to address that this year as everything they would really like costs so much money. I would love to hear what other people do for presents for their teenage kids.

I buy for nieces and nephews and try to keep it to £10 each, my eldest niece gets more than this spent on her, she is an only child and i like to buy her something abit more expensive.

I then have the boyfriends/girlfriends of my kids to buy for. I also buy for colleagues at work, wish i didn't have to but its something they like to do.

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 25-Aug-11 11:40:14

This thread may stay ok as its related to adult presents grin Its the amounts people spend on their children that brings out the "they get an orange and 20p as I dont believe in spoiling children" It gets very competitive on MN as to who buys the least for their children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now