Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone stayed in a UK Hotel over Christmas before?

(22 Posts)
LaVitaBellissima Sun 21-Aug-11 20:25:07

Any reccomendations or is this a bad idea?

I know it's a bit early but I think it would be nice to have a Christmas without any cooking/washing up smile

LaVitaBellissima Sun 21-Aug-11 20:37:52

Within a few hours drive from SW London smile
Anyone?

LordOfTheFlies Sun 21-Aug-11 21:31:09

Not over Christmas but DH and I stayed in Cornwall for New Year a few years back (pre DC)
The asked us if we wanted to book an extra night. Thankfully we declined.

There was one couple with a very small DC. So they went to bed early.
The rest of the guests were 65+.
We were the only ones who dressed up (DH and I and the other couple) Everyone else was in T shirts and jumpers.
At dinner time (NYE and NY might) all you could hear was the clatter of cutlery.The food was very average .The lights were on full blast (candles would have been nice!)

Daytime activity was bingo. (we went out into town -it was a seaside town so nice windswept walks)

If they'd have told us when I booked (by phone, before days of T'Internet) that we would be the youngest people there are it probably wasn't what we were looking for ,we wouldn't have gone.

LaVitaBellissima Sun 21-Aug-11 21:54:44

grin sounds terrible, I imagine if you'd been there at Christmas they would of been wearing Christmas jumpers.

I was invisioning something relaxing, log fires, glass of wine, nice food, lovely hotel, spa maybe ?

I can't face cooking and cleaning up again this Christmas sad

onepieceofcremeegg Sun 21-Aug-11 21:57:55

I had a similar experience LOTF. Thought I would have a nice little NYE break with a close female friend. Found out afterwards that the town we chose was known for being welcoming to somewhat older people than us!
It worked out quite well in the end. We made friends with a couple of the staff. By 9pm most of the other residents were off to bed so after making cocoa, our friends were off duty and took us off round the town.

BirdOfPassage Sun 21-Aug-11 22:01:34

It isn't too early to book! Hotels won't open at Christmas unless they get enough early bookings (though they will tell you that they do open when you enquire).

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Sun 21-Aug-11 22:05:13

Funnily enough I was browsing online today for the very same thing. It's a lot cheaper to go away for NYE it seems.

Emmspemms Wed 24-Aug-11 21:28:19

Don't go to a Hotel for a Christmas break!!!!!
My DH used to be a hotel manager , and the only people who go to a hotel for a Christmas break are the ones who are so mad and awful they don't have any friend or relatives who will invite them anywhere .
Honestly , a hotel will be full of mad misfits.

LaVitaBellissima Wed 24-Aug-11 22:12:50

I was thinking of the whole family so there would also be another 7 adults and a 3 year old probably all included as mad misfits to be fair

I want to go to a nice hotel though, it can't be that bad can it?

DP wanted to go Skiiing but until the children are a bit older it seems pointless confused

LordOfTheFlies Wed 24-Aug-11 22:44:18

Good Housekeeping had an article about family friendly Christmas hotels,.
Best bet to try and find the back issues online or they'll be booked up by the time the magazine comes out.

I stole the idea of putting a teddy bear on every step.Bought tiny teddies from Ikea and the Museum of Childhood.

jgbmum Wed 24-Aug-11 22:49:48

We go away every New Year with friends - there were 20 of us last year ranging in age from 3 to 65+. We always have a fab time - never tried it for xmas though.

learningtofly Wed 24-Aug-11 22:52:20

All my family used to go away for Christmas to a hotel in the lake district (i was late teens then) Truly we had some of our best times there, no arguments about washing up, cooking, making cups of tea, noone feeling like they were doing everything etc.

The hotel we stopped at had activities during the day and entertainment at night but it wasn't compulsory. It also had a leisure complex which was fab, swimming in Christmas day to work up an appetite! The staff were fab too as I recall ;)

We would probably still go now if we could afford it. I would highly recommend it smile

DoubleDegreeStudent Sun 28-Aug-11 16:40:23

We've had a few Christmases abroad in hot places so been in hotels and it's always fun. Last Christmas we were at my parents' flat in London and I was daydreaming about escaping to a hotel instead - The Berkeley had really good rates and it sounded so fun, and they had a rooftop Christmas garden with films projected and blankets and hot chocolate... I didn't go, but I think my point is that actually nice hotels can be much more affordable than you think. They don't have the offer yet, but keep your eyes open for the nice London hotels. If you're in a town then there should always be something to do...

LaVitaBellissima Sun 28-Aug-11 18:10:23

Thanks Double sounds fab actually, I didn't think of going into London, the Berkeley would be right up my street grin & I love hot chocolate!

CMOTdibbler Sun 28-Aug-11 18:14:34

Yes, twice in fact. DH and I went to the Celtic Manor, and it was lovely. They make it really special, and theres a choice of restaurants to have lunch in with different styles. One year I spent Christmas eve in the spa, had my hair done, then we had a posh dinner. Bliss.

sailorsgal Sun 28-Aug-11 19:14:32

here does a xmas package at £1700ish per person shock for 3 nights. I have friends going to Lapland for xmas, now that would be fun.

strandednomore Sun 28-Aug-11 19:18:54

LaVita - you can come to me for Christmas and I will do all the cooking and cleaning. We can't "do" my family this year for various reasons and dh's only family member is in Florida so it will just be the four of us. Dh is a total Grinch and so I could do with some other folks around to make it a bit more joyful....

strandednomore Sun 28-Aug-11 19:21:50

OMG the Berkeley Christmas does sound amazing...no mention of children though...

JetLi Sun 28-Aug-11 21:10:00

Last year we spent 2 nights in a Travelodge at the coast - grand total of £58 for the 3 of us including breakfast. Then we booked Christmas Day lunch at a posh hotel nearby. Took a coolbox for milk & booze - was great.

LaVitaBellissima Mon 29-Aug-11 14:56:15

Thanks Stranded lovely of you to offer grin

Definitely going to try a hotel though, going to start googling now!

LordOfTheFlies Mon 29-Aug-11 22:02:26

Oh I've just read ^The Berkeley Christmas^> Shouldn't have clicked on. now I'm envy

I want a horsedrawn carriage ride through London, especially in the snow. We went to London last year on the 18th Dec and there was a blizzard. London looked lovely in the snow with all the lights and the decorations.
Getting home not so much fun and my shoes leaked sad

DoubleDegreeStudent Mon 29-Aug-11 22:08:57

My new aim in life is to have a Berkeley Christmas. And it isn't as terrifyingly expensive as I thought it would be, since the rooms are about that much anyway.

If any MNetter has a horse and carriage in London going spare maybe they should take one for the team and drive us all round?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now