Talk

Advanced search

I know its early, but anyone else starting to plan fruit soaking/day trips/christmas meals?

(17 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Fri 19-Aug-11 19:15:51

Last year I started soaking fruit in september, this year I am going to do the same. I will also be buying nutcracker tickets soon and feel a little panicky about the lack of presents already stashed.

Anyone else planning?

LordOfTheFlies Fri 19-Aug-11 20:52:21

Abso-bally-loutly

I'm doing a Wedding Anniversary cake for my parents 50th so I will make 2 fruit cakes and soak mine in Amarretto.(theirs doesn't have to be so rich)

Planning to take DCs to Tullys Farm for their festive day out.
Looking for a ballet to take DD to. We went to see Swan Lake last year and The Nutcracker the year before.
We looked on the internet to read the story behind the ballet before we went because the ballet itself doesn't really give it. The one we went to Clara was an adult dancer ,in the story she's young.

I've got a tin of £2 coins which I'm going to split between the DS and DD for them to buy a nice decoration a present for DH or me and the rest for a present for them.

All this planning has to fit in with getting 2 DC ready for school, DH birthday, Parents Golden W.A, Hallowe'en party, Guy Fawkes, DS birthday. Phew. wink

LordOfTheFlies Fri 19-Aug-11 21:06:55

Last year I spent ages searching for a cinema showing the animated A Christmas Carol.
It was on at the Imax in 3D- but ££s when you add up tickets + travel

Then DH found it was on at our local cinema 23rd and 24th Dec. We went on 23rd ( just able to get into town with all the snow) It was £10 for me and 2 DCs but not in 3D.

Just as well. DD totally bricked it when the Marleys face appeared in the door knocker. Then the red-eyed horses confused.
But it was a really good film.(would watch in 3d but without DD) grin

alphabettyspagghetti Sat 20-Aug-11 11:15:03

I'm getting the whiskey and guninnes in for the mincemeat and pudding in next week.

I need to buy another couple of jars for my mincemeat so I cant do that till those have been bought.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Aug-11 11:26:47

So glad its not just me. I am so excited. We are in the countryside now, so will be buying turkey and tree locally, but need to start making decorations etc!

OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Aug-11 11:26:49

So glad its not just me. I am so excited. We are in the countryside now, so will be buying turkey and tree locally, but need to start making decorations etc!

Have made Christmas Cake, Christmas Pud and mincemeat. In April. Just fed them all with generous amounts of brandy too. I would most likely have started present buying, but we are moving back to England next month so I have had to restrain myself thus far.

ChippyMinton Sun 21-Aug-11 13:20:14

I've just booked tickets for the new National Theatre production of Swallows & Amazons.

And taking up all offers of spare apples and tomatoes for chutney making, and saving pretty jam jars.

And no doubt I will be booking the office Xmas lunch in the next week or so.

Haribojoe Sun 28-Aug-11 19:05:49

Don't make Christmas cake but have planned daytrips.
1. Pre-Christmas Christmas day, everyone wearing pyjamas and decorating the house while listening to festive music, finished off with a lovely roast dinner and a Christmas DVD.

2. Panto on Christmas Eve followed by family lunch at our favourite restaurant, then crib service before going home to put out carrots, milk, mince pie and brandy for Father Christmas and his reindeers.

I know it's August but I'm so excited grin

JetLi Sun 28-Aug-11 21:07:42

I haven't yet, but given all the shite with the weather last year I am getting ready bloody early this year!

TeaOneSugar Sun 28-Aug-11 21:49:47

We've been given a big bag of cooking apples, so a chutney making session is planned for tomorrow afternoon. We'll have to buy some jars though, we haven't saved any.

I've got panto tickets for the 23rd, we usually go on Christmas Eve but DH is working this year sad.

I've started thinking about what christmas menus, nothing written down yet.

LordOfTheFlies Sun 28-Aug-11 23:00:31

I've made my cakes -actually made 3 x 6" square because I'd bought a 500g block of butter so by the time I added everything it was bigger than I thought. But they look and smell lovely and have had their first Amarretto feed.

I'm not going to make Christmas pudding because it doesn't get eaten, but as I like the lighting ceremony, I'll buy a couple of tiny ones.

And this year, I'm going to save my Christmas mags and open them on the Saturday after my DS birthday, put a Do not Disturb sign up , get the DCs and DH a pizza delivery and sit down with coffee, pen & paper and my feet up.
(To do some intensive pre-Christmas research you understand wink )

Bohica Tue 30-Aug-11 18:53:25

<marking my lazy bum & hoping to be more organised this year>

Imnotaslimjim Thu 01-Sep-11 14:58:15

I make my own Christmas cake every year, will be starting this years once the DC are back at school next week. I also do a madeira sponge a few days before Christmas as a lot of the family don't like fruit cake. And a chocolate yule log - love making those!

Will also be having my first try at a christmas pudding. I've been reading up on it and it looks as easy as the cake, so can't wait to give it a go

The DC also want to have a go at homemade sweets and things as gifts this year, so thats something fun to have a go at

Pootles2010 Thu 01-Sep-11 15:01:14

I started in July (sort of!). Last year I loved Sarah Raven's silver alliums, but obviously mine were long gone, so this year they have been carefully dried and are living in the airing cupboar atm!

We're doing a venture-type photoshoot next week, and I will be asking them to do one for our Christmas cards this year.

BabyDubsEverywhere Thu 01-Sep-11 15:41:44

Can anyone tell me, could i use the christmas pudding voka reciepes floating about for Brandy instead? TIA

BabyDubsEverywhere Thu 01-Sep-11 15:42:03

Vodka obviously blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now