Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Traditions

(18 Posts)
LordOfTheFlies Thu 04-Aug-11 23:07:33

For those who have them-and I'm sure its many of you Christmas Loving MNers.
Do you add a new one every year?

Do some of the old ones go by the wayside?

Nosy bat emoticon, but I love my Christmas Traditions.DCs play along (most are for their benefit).
DH is just pfft.grin

bandgeek Thu 04-Aug-11 23:30:16

I just started a new one last year, which was going for a torchlit walk on christmas eve with the DC.

Last year it was absolutely magical as there was snow on the ground, and when we got back to our house we sprinkled the magic reindeer dust over the path do they would know where to land. As we were doing this DH was round the back of the house with a set of sleighbells. and the excitement on their faces (DS was 5, DD 4) was amazing.

The absolute icing on the cake though, and we couldn't have planned this, was just as we were getting ready to go back inside, on of those chinese lanterns floated past in the sky. Due to it's orange glow, the kids about wet themselves with excitement thinking it was Rudolph grin That memory will stay with me forever.

Other trations include going up the the Christmas shop every year to buy a new 'special' decoration for the treee, and driving through the streets of all the local villages to look at the christmas lights while playing christmas songs in the car

I realise I am a bit of a sad sack but I love christmas!

LordOfTheFlies Fri 05-Aug-11 01:01:39

Aaaah bandgeek 4&5 is perfect age, they get so wrapped up in it all and still believe.

We used to go and feed the reindeer.Now we don't because they are so stuffed they don't even waddle to the fence.

DCs used to put on fancy dress on Christmas Eve but they think they are too old now grin 11 & 9

I made an Elf in a bed and hid it in DS playhouse.Went down with a candle in a jar on Christmas Eve to see it (DS was 5)

We have fish fingers and chips (vegetarian grills for DH and I ) on Christmas Eve
DD sets out her Santa Tray
We have a trip to Hamleys
We have a pre-Christmas day out (WinterWonderland Hyde Park, Bluewater WW, visitor park craft day) Even better in snow.
New PJ s and slippers
New decoration every year
Last year, stockings upstairs ( to keep them quiet before they woke us up)
Dress up nice for Christmas Day meal
Christmas dinner when its dark,and has to be finished before Doctor Who

This year DD has decided our new CT is to spend Boxing Day in our PJs !

Awomancalledhorse Fri 05-Aug-11 01:07:42

We open one present on Christmas Eve.
New PJ's & a new la-di-dah bauble each year.
DH is 34 and I get him an advent calender & stocking.
We're having our first LO this december, so hoping to rub my Christmas madness off on someone else, I'm Jewish but the Christmas thing has always been exciting (esp. as you always know when it will be, not like Hannukah, although this year Xmas falls in the middle of Hannukah, double presents)!!

bandgeek Fri 05-Aug-11 09:19:14

Aww LordoftheFlies that sounds amazing! I might have to nick one or two of yours for this year, there are some great ideas there smile

worldgonecrazy Fri 05-Aug-11 09:27:25

Mum and I drink Baileys/Home made Baileys whilst cooking Christmas Lunch.

Last year we started a new tradition, the eldest male in the house reads out "The Night Before Christmas" on Christmas Eve.

This year DD will be old enough to know that there is something special happening. We are planning on buying the tree at our usual place, but putting it up when she has gone to bed so it's there in the morning when she comes down.

If anyone can give advice on finding a great Santa Claus, I'd really appreciate it. Can't wait to take her to meet Santa - last year she was too young to appreciate it, though we got some lovely shots of her sat on my knee sat on Santa's knee (one of those Santas where children weren't allowed to sit on his knee).

LordOfTheFlies Fri 05-Aug-11 09:45:06

nick away (as in St Nick) bandgeek
Our traditions have evolved over the years as the DCs got older.
I will keep them going for as long as they agree to it.
Then we will have a totally different Christmas I suppose.

worldgonecrazy - The Night Before Christmas a must!!

The Snowman- every year we watch it (I also have DVD)
Polar Express- though on TV it's usually ITV so you get the adverts.

lechatnoir Fri 05-Aug-11 15:03:39

We all have stockings at the end of our beds (Inc any guests who stay Christmas eve) and they always include: a £1 coin, new pair of socks or pants, chocolate coins, a magazine, and 2 small presents (car/train, bath toy, pencils etc for boys, smellies etc for us. We open these when we wake up and kids pile in our bed snd we usually stuff ourselves silly with chocolateblush. We then have 1 present before lunch with a glass of bubbly then all the rest are saved until after lunch except a. new book which we save until bedtime. awful as it sounds, it does work mainly because it really stretches the day out.

My favorite tradition though is 'elf on the shelf' - we have a little elf who 'arrives' on 1st december bringing our advent calendars and then sits on various shelves round the house watching the children to check if they're being good then on Christmas eve he disappears to report to father Christmas how good they've been & whether they will get any presents! Totally genius idea we stole - great for keeping the kids in line as anything bad gets reported to father xmas and real excitement as they try & find where he's sitting that day.

LordOfTheFlies Fri 05-Aug-11 15:17:17

Oh lechatnoir I saw ElfontheShelf on QVC USA but they are so expensive. You get the elfy chap who you name and a book to chart his adventures IIRC.

I made one with a Christopher Eccleson Dr Who doll (made little green and red felt clothes.And felt boots.And a hat,glued on).Made a little felt bag for him to hold two chocolate coins.
He looked a bit fierce TBH but DCs called him Dooie (Malcolm in the Middle boy) so no surprise.

Might look for a Captain Jack (Torchwood) doll for this year.

We've got a little Christmas Tree (musical) with tiny ornaments in a little painted cupboard with 24 doors.I put a couple of sweets in each 'door' and DCs hang up the decs.
QVC of course,had it years.

clangermum Fri 05-Aug-11 15:23:52

Christmas jigsaw - different one each year, out on the side, everyone does a few pieces as they wander past and if dcs start getting a bit restless they get sent that way

chirpchirp Fri 05-Aug-11 18:12:01

I ALWAYS watch Elf as I'm decorating the Christmas tree (while drinking muled wine) and I buy one new fancy bauble every year. My DS will only be 1.1 this Christmas so looking forward to creating new family traditions as he grows up.

5inthebed Fri 05-Aug-11 18:53:13

Ours are quite boring in comparisso in to some of these, but here we go:

They each pick a new decoration each year and we all decorate the tree.
DH takes the DC into town to look at Fenwick window and hot chocolate on Christmas Eve, and I get the last minute wrapping done.
Tea out at local pub
Back home to open presents other people have left them under the tree, usually their Godmother.
Bath and new pyjamas on.
Christmas film on of their choice
Mince pie and milk, and a carrot left out.

Gting me all excited just talking about it.

cathers Fri 05-Aug-11 20:53:10

2 weeks before we have a morning in our pj's , put on the Christmas cd, put up the tree and dance like morons. Must eat bacon rolls too.

1 week before we go on the Santa special steam train with all the family.
Usually followed by pub lunch and walk.

Christmas eve, we always go to the crib service, dc dress up as Shepard etc.. come home with fish and chips. After dinner, the DC put out carrot, beer and mince pie, and find on the front step a shoe box. In it is always new Xmas pj s, a Xmas story book and a final decoration for tree. After bath, we read the books, in new pj's and hang up stockings.

Love it!

AmaraDresden Sun 07-Aug-11 23:38:10

Loving the Elf on the shelf idea! Wonder where I can buy a cheap elf from...

Ours are pretty typical imo. Starts with NORAD website tracking Santa on Christmas Eve, then they get to open a present early at about 6pm ish, which is typically PJs to put on after the bath their Dad gives them while I put my gammon onto boil. Then it's a beer for Santa, mince pie and carrot left on a tray before a Christmas storybook and bed.

Stockings in their bedroom, which they get to open in our bed in the morning, then it's downstairs where they play with their stocking stuff as DP and I make breakfast and have a coffee. Then all hell breaks lose and DP whips out a bag for the wrapping paper lmao. Dinner at my Nan's, evening with the in laws, and then Boxing Day is when we host a buffet for friends, let the kids stay up late and get rather drunk while playing silly games!

AmaraDresden Sun 07-Aug-11 23:38:11

Loving the Elf on the shelf idea! Wonder where I can buy a cheap elf from...

Ours are pretty typical imo. Starts with NORAD website tracking Santa on Christmas Eve, then they get to open a present early at about 6pm ish, which is typically PJs to put on after the bath their Dad gives them while I put my gammon onto boil. Then it's a beer for Santa, mince pie and carrot left on a tray before a Christmas storybook and bed.

Stockings in their bedroom, which they get to open in our bed in the morning, then it's downstairs where they play with their stocking stuff as DP and I make breakfast and have a coffee. Then all hell breaks lose and DP whips out a bag for the wrapping paper lmao. Dinner at my Nan's, evening with the in laws, and then Boxing Day is when we host a buffet for friends, let the kids stay up late and get rather drunk while playing silly games!

AmaraDresden Sun 07-Aug-11 23:39:07

Ooops, we do the drinking, definitely not the boys! Lol

AmaraDresden Sun 07-Aug-11 23:39:07

Ooops, we do the drinking, definitely not the boys! Lol

LordOfTheFlies Tue 09-Aug-11 23:27:22

AmaraDresden the original EOTS is American and I've searched on-line for one, they are about £50 IIRC.
My DCs are 11 and 9 so I reckon getting a bit old -hence I make my own Elf and save money.We don't have the book but I have a write on/wipe off calender for December, so we list where he's found.

LOL at we do the drinking,definately not the boys.

But your computer posted twice- methinks the lady doth protest too much!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now