Talk

Advanced search

Organising Christmas

(10 Posts)
Haribojoe Wed 13-Jul-11 12:35:01

I'm sure I remember a thread last year that gave you a countdown of what to do each week to get ready for the festivities.

Is this something that is done every year or do I need to search for last years?

midnightexpress Wed 13-Jul-11 12:38:51

Oh behave. It's JULY.

cjbartlett Wed 13-Jul-11 12:38:52

Get a book from the library?
Definitely nothing that can be done now except save up!

ItsNotUnusual Wed 13-Jul-11 12:52:42

FlyLady Christmas Control Journal This is the FlyLady Holiday Countdown that I have loosely followed.

Haribojoe Wed 13-Jul-11 12:53:55

I wasn't meaning that I would need to start now, I realise it's July. I came across the Christmas thread and just thought I'd ask.

gregssausageroll Sat 16-Jul-11 21:35:01

Ignore the narky knickers above. I think just starting to save is a good idea. I usually add a few extra £ a week on my ASDS Christmas Savings Card around this time.

I wait for the M&S food ordering to come out and book that early so stuff hasn't sold out.

I usually buy cards and paper in the sale from the year before.

Haribojoe Thu 21-Jul-11 11:19:25

thanks gregs smile

Snuppeline Thu 21-Jul-11 11:34:44

July means only two month to start the Christmas cake/pudding surely? And for those of us who are going to travel abroad to see family it means starting to look out for good offers on flights/ferries etc and make sure one gets a ticket!

Lots of sale around at the moment so lots of possibilities to buy presents for adult relatives and smaller children (who do not yet have very firm but constantly changing ideas of what they like/don't like!).

Never any harm in being organised!

girlywhirly Thu 21-Jul-11 13:29:49

Some people have to get started early, those who make things for sale at craft markets, or for gifts for their own families and friends. They need to source containers and packaging, if you found a bargain offer for tins or jars in the summer that you knew you could use for Christmas chutneys and cookies, why would you not get them? Or cooking utensils, or knitting/sewing stuff in a sale?

My mum was a big advance planner for Christmas, starting in the Jan sales!

I remember reading a magazine article about buying things duty free from the airports when you go on your hols, if you know who to buy for and what they would like. You know, luxury and designer cosmetics, perfumes, sunglasses, bags etc. at cheaper prices.

LordOfTheFlies Fri 22-Jul-11 23:34:47

I love Costco and Home Sense and they get their stock in well ahead of time.
Costco has Christmas stuff in about September. Homesense seem to run 3 months ahead as well.

So if you snooze, you lose! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now