Talk

Advanced search

Christmas dinner

(14 Posts)
knittedbreast Tue 21-Jun-11 14:24:07

Do you just have a roast on christmas day or are there different courses?
starters, main pudding etc?

i only manage the roast and then pudding much much later

you?

hiccymapops Tue 21-Jun-11 14:28:44

It's only June!!! grin We have starter and main, then dessert a while after (is it already time to start planning?! confused)

girlywhirly Tue 21-Jun-11 17:13:03

Exh always insisted on a starter, but I never saw the point. I only went along with it if his mum and sister were staying.

With DH we just have roast main course and a small dessert, usually a homemade mince pie (including the mincemeat) and homemade vanilla ice-cream. I would rather make more effort with those, homemade stuffing etc. Tea is just cheese and pate on savoury biscuits and trifle!

ExitPursuedByAKitten Tue 21-Jun-11 17:16:39

Tis midsummers Day!

But we have starter then main then pud then wish we hadn't. We never normally have a starter and it makes me too full so that I don't enjoy the main. But DD insists. Might try and convince her otherwise this year.

Why are you fretting about Christmas Lunch now?

WhatWouldLeoDo Tue 21-Jun-11 20:54:06

Crikey, Christmas already?!?! I love Christmas and am usually an early bird on the planning stages but I usually at least wait till my Summer holiday is out of the way! grin Mind you, the first stage in the usual family negotiations about who's visiting who has been started...

Christmas courses - chocolate for breakfast (obviously), always a starter (varies on depending on who we're visiting and the in-laws will have at least two choices), full roast turkey dinner, short break, pudding, longer break, christmas cake/chocolate/mice pies etc. Much later back at home for nice cheese and wine.

higgle Wed 22-Jun-11 16:04:49

No starters as such but canapes and champagne at 12 noon, main course and pudding sometime after 2pm. Lie on sofa groaning rest of day.

ShowOfHands Wed 22-Jun-11 16:07:53

God I love Christmas.

Always a starter. I make soup, my Mum makes something fruit-based and there's often a fish choice too. Then a main meal. This all happens at around 2/3pm. We then have pudding at about 4.30pm and cold meat and stuff later on if anybody wants it.

Christmas. <sigh>

girlywhirly Wed 22-Jun-11 16:37:00

The problem is, if you have a starter, you should really reduce the amount of main and pudding, but no-one does!

I remember being told about a Christmas lunch at a restaurant, 5 courses plus coffee. Serious waste of money as the courses were so large, they could only eat half and they felt seriously sick afterwards. They vowed never again. I however have learned my limits! Even with a walk after, I can't cope with any more food until 7pm, and thats having lunch at 1.30pm.

ShowOfHands Wed 22-Jun-11 16:56:07

I always reduce the amount of main/pudding I have if I have a starter. I don't know how you'd manage otherwise. I can't do that eating to the point of being stuffed thing though. It doesn't feel pleasurable, merely uncomfortable. Eating dinner on Christmas day lasts a few hours and there's a lot of chatting inbetween courses. No alcohol either which might help.

grin

Is it Christmas yet?

ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 22-Jun-11 16:58:06

Showy, over ere.

[wunk]

Shinyshoes1 Wed 22-Jun-11 17:09:16

no starter here, the amount of food on the plate when we have the main it's any wonder anyone could fit anymore in.

No pud here either, well maybe a shop bought trifle, if someone must have it just nuts or fruit or a tin of Quality street to munch on

higgle Wed 22-Jun-11 20:04:18

Is lovely Christmas pudding with rum sauce, brandy butter and flaming brandy all over it with the flames as high as you can get them to go out of fashion then?

usualsuspect Wed 22-Jun-11 20:05:49

nooooooooooooooooooo

OvO Sat 25-Jun-11 16:59:56

Never had starters only a main and then pudding about an hour later. Then a main again that evening when you realise that there's loads of leftovers and you ARE hungry again. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now