Talk

Advanced search

Oh no, my 6 year old asked me if FC really came?

(11 Posts)
compo Wed 29-Dec-10 19:42:21

So i said 'well who else would have come and left all those lovely presents'

and he said 'you and daddy'

so instead of saying 'ooh no it's magic ' blah blah I just sort of nodded and told him not to tell his 4 year old sister

have I really messed up? he seems totally unbothered and hasn't mentioed it again but 6 is too young for the magic to end isn't it?

SlightlyTubbyHali Wed 29-Dec-10 19:43:39

I'd say 6 is probably about right.

Don't sweat it.

compo Wed 29-Dec-10 19:45:20

Is it? oh good!
he did say before term eneded that a boy in his class (yr 2) didn't believe so I sort of thought he knows anyway - this boy has older brothers so they had obviously all been discussing it at school

gillybean2 Wed 29-Dec-10 19:53:12

just because his friends say things at school dopesn't mean the magic has to end. All depends how you handle it and if you want it to end or keep it going.

compo Wed 29-Dec-10 19:57:01

well i want to keep it going for his little sister
but it felt wrong to lie iyswim , and he wasn't fooled with the mysterious 'it's magic' line

ChasingSquirrels Wed 29-Dec-10 19:59:01

my 8yo asked me on christmas night - I said "do you REALLY think I would give you all those presents". He thought briefly and then said that no, I wouldn't.

SlightlyTubbyHali Wed 29-Dec-10 20:00:58

You might find that he goes along with the whole FC thing next year. I sort of pretended to believe for ages after I learned the truth - it's just as magic if you pretend. I mean, I put the presents under the tree these days but still get foolishly excited.

create Wed 29-Dec-10 20:16:01

I say if you believe he's real then he's real and Obviously, FC only comes if you believe. Even if it doesn't convince him, it should lead him to pretend he believes, so your DD can keep the magic a bit longer

DS1 thought it was all rubbish 2 years ago, but this year he is an absolute believer (so he tells me hmm )

compo Wed 29-Dec-10 20:19:51

tbh I'm hopign the conversation is dropped until next december
I'm sick of xmas grin

mumto2andnomore Thu 30-Dec-10 12:34:22

my 7 year old had doubts but then with the leaving the drink and snack out, the norad santa tracker and the fact that Santa replied to his note he totally believed on Christmas Day. 6 is far too young not to believe in my house,my 11 year old is no longer convinced but I keep telling her of course he is real !

GrimmaTheNome Thu 30-Dec-10 12:41:11

My DD twigged at this age.

It has not spoilt the 'magic' in the least - at 11 she still happily pretends Santa is real. One of her friends slightly snottily informed me the other day that DD still believed in Santa hmmgrin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: