Talk

Advanced search

If you have cauliflower and broccoli cheese with your dinner

(19 Posts)
nappyaddict Sat 25-Dec-10 15:32:30

How do you make it? Apparently I have made it wrong hmm

Numberfour Sat 25-Dec-10 15:35:31

Tell whoever to make it themselves next time!

I steam the Cauli and Broccoli slightly, make a white sauce, then add cheese (obviously!), put veg in baking dish, pour over cheese sauce, plonk grated cheese on top and bake for about 20 minutes.

Today's lot was not very good, though grin

How is yours done?

Seona1973 Sat 25-Dec-10 15:38:11

we cook the broccoli/cauliflower and have it in dishes to serve yourself and have cheese sauce in a gravy boat thing to pour over what veg you choose.

borderslass Sat 25-Dec-10 16:15:44

cook the veggies, then make cheese sause and add veggies to it.

bigknickersbigknockers Sat 25-Dec-10 18:10:17

same as numberfour and mine wasnt moch good today eitherwink

gillybean2 Sat 25-Dec-10 18:31:18

buy tub of pre made cheese sauce, pour over par boiled veg (after draining) and pop dish in oven to cook (with some grated cheese on top if you like it to have a browned topping.

pranma Mon 27-Dec-10 13:07:37

Make white sauce add grated cheese pour over steamed veg then grate more ceese on top-bake in oven till top is melted and beginning to crisp

mangoandlime Mon 27-Dec-10 13:56:52

Par boil cauli and broc florets. Make White sauce, add cheese. Pour over florets in a dish and cook for around 20 mins until top is browned. I haven't had a dud yet!

Cyb Mon 27-Dec-10 13:58:31

I've never understood having cauliflower cheese as a side dish. Its a meal in itself, isnt it?

How does the cheese sauce go with gravy?

mangoandlime Tue 28-Dec-10 08:31:25

I use the Waitrose florets. Ready prepped and just the right amount for a side dish. The gravy is delicious mingled in.

Two florets Each does not a whole meal make!

LondonMother Tue 28-Dec-10 10:39:19

Is there any saving in time using ready-made cheese sauce? It's so easy and quick to make from scratch. Can understand if you hate cooking, though! Each to his/her own.

SlartyBartFast Tue 28-Dec-10 10:40:33

i fry bacon as well.
i make cheese sauce.
make cauliflower.
put tomoatoes, bacon and cheese on top
and bake.
serve with chips. lovely

SlartyBartFast Tue 28-Dec-10 10:41:04

i wouldnt use it as a side dish shock

gillybean2 Tue 28-Dec-10 10:48:24

LM time saving comes from not having to wash up extra pans (only own 2 saucepans) grater, whisk & wooden spoon, not getting hot and bothered in my tiny kitchen, not having to worry about lumps and it not being any hassle to make by opening a pre done one.

If you wanna make things from scratch on xmas day then go ahead, I spend as little time in the kitchen as possible and as I'd much rather spend the time relaxing and being with my ds.

mangoandlime Tue 28-Dec-10 11:22:28

Haha! I love it on here. Now making a cheese sauce From scratch means you don't spend as much time with your kids as you could. Priceless!!!

Only Mumsnet.

gillybean2 Tue 28-Dec-10 13:02:09

Please go ahead and laugh at me if it makes you feel superior. The fact I am even here physically and emotionally to spend time with my child this chistmas is significant to me and spending time with him matters more to me than wasting time in the kitchen faffing around with a cheese sauce.

But go ahead and laugh if you feel the need.

Cyb Tue 28-Dec-10 13:05:54

only on MN..........

Prinnie Tue 28-Dec-10 13:11:20

GillyB - I don't think people were laughing at you - you seem to have over-reacted a bit, I think Mango's comment was more a giggle at how even making cauliflower cheese could become a defensive typically mn conversation - in fact your response has only poured more fat on the fire!

StAnne Tue 28-Dec-10 18:33:22

LOL smile Cauliflower cheese just a deep caven between me and my lad. Te he! I make it once a year for friends and family and my ds is the only person who doesn't like it. By the way I do Cauliflower brocolli and pasta. I like it with gravy and without as a side dish or main! I only do it from scratch as I think the jar stuff is yukky but packet of bread sauce is fine. off to eat ready made lasagna so there! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: