Talk

Advanced search

Feel so sad for DS that I have cold/flu for Christmas

(14 Posts)
hippohead Fri 24-Dec-10 11:04:46

I have a horrible cold, possibly flu. Am dizzy, hot, painful chest, sore throat, pounding head- but worst of all I can barely get out of bed.

I know I am feeling sorry for myself and should be grateful that it will pass but I feel sad that I am too poorly to make this the Christmas that I had hoped to for DS (3.5).

DP is doing a good job of amusing DS but I was so looking forward to a family Christmas but all I can do is lie in bed. I am livid that I can't muster enough energy to get up and get on with it.

We haven't bought many presents. Christmas was goingto be about fun and games all together, but I can't even do that.

Sorry for the rant I needed to offload!

shinyshoesandglitterypoos Fri 24-Dec-10 11:06:46

You WILL feel better soon. Rest today and you'll probably feel much better in the morning.

Shit happens. Most people are suffering from snow and flu. So you are not doing so badly.

Presents don't matter. No-one remembers year to year what is given or received. Just relax, take paracetamol and drink lots of fluids (not alcohol.)

TheHouseofMirth Fri 24-Dec-10 11:10:35

I still remember the Christmas the three of us ate Christmas dinner on Mum's bed as she was so full of flu. It was fun! Well, probably not for her but I thought it was...

hippohead Fri 24-Dec-10 11:21:53

Shiney you are right, it could be worse and I will feel better soon. I really hope very soon.

House, good point, as long as I can raise a smile maybe DS will see this as a novelty. At least he is spending lots of time with his daddy.

CherryTheRedNosedMonster Fri 24-Dec-10 12:45:32

can you not go and lie on the sofa so that you can at least watch ds open his presents?

Lexilicious Fri 24-Dec-10 13:00:07

Can I join in the sick parade? I've had a chest infection since yesterday, conjunctivitis the day before that. Must have picked it up from my DS who is also poorly. So much to do still. We are going to be decorating the tree on christmas day, I know it.

Marne Fri 24-Dec-10 13:04:44

Would your ds notice if x-mas was a day or 2 late? Theres nothing worse than cooking when you feel ill sad, 2 years ago i was poorly with d&v just befoe x-mas, my mum came over and did x-mas for me (cooking, playing with the dd's), luckily i was well enough to eat some x-mas dinner. The dd's really enjoyed nanny doing all the hard work and as soon as i had recovered we did a 2nd x-mas (nice meal, party games ect..) so the dd's had to x-mas's.

I think there will be a lot of people in your situation this year sad as there seems to be so many people coming down with the flu. I can remember my whole family having flu on x-mas day (when i was 10/11), no one ate anything and my dad spent most of the day in bed.

Such a shame christmas wasn't in the summer when people are healthy grin.

crazycatlady Fri 24-Dec-10 13:05:55

Suddenly I don't feel so alone! I've been ill in bed with swine flu and secondary sinusitis (+32 weeks PG) for the last week, every day hoping to get better and still not.

Last night DH and DD (23 months) also came down with it.

We have about £200 worth of Christmas food in the fridge that is going to be wasted and have wrapped none of our presents.

Officially the worst Christmas ever sad

kkey21 Fri 24-Dec-10 13:09:07

Trust me the worst christmas ever so far on this thread is that of my cousins.

Their poor mum had flu last week but sadly it turned out to be late stages of brain tumours and lung cancer. 3 days after diagnosis she died with her children next to her.

House full of Christmas cards, presents, food but no Mummy for them.

StarExpat Fri 24-Dec-10 14:07:29

kkey. Those poor children

Marne Fri 24-Dec-10 14:15:54

KKey- thats so sad

Also spare a thought for people like the the family on the news who's daughter is missing sad.

hippohead Fri 24-Dec-10 14:28:03

Kkey that's horrific for your Cousin's mum and her children. What a shock and a sad situation. I am so sorry.

Sorry to hear others are aslo feeling under the weather. I hope you feel better soon. I have never known so many people to feel unwell at one time.

DP is convinced he can 'sort everything' so I don't want to undermine him by postphoning Christmas. However, I think its a great idea and think I will cook us a lovely lunch when I feel better to make up for it.

MilaMae Fri 24-Dec-10 15:01:46

Hippo don't feel bad it's normal to feel guilty but it isn't your fault.Just lie on the sofa and keep smiling weakly sipping a hot toddy.

All 3 of my dc have got flu.One just getting over a hideous bout which resulted in a trip to A&E,one started throwing up today(tonight's going to be fun,slightly concerned about stocking filling)and the other is just starting.I feel soooo bad for them but there isn't anything I can do.

To be honest if all 3 stay out of hospital I'll be happy.

Sipping my Crabbies and boling my Nigella ham whilst checking my Calpol stock pile smile

hippohead Fri 24-Dec-10 23:33:29

Mila I really hope your DC's recover quickly. I don't think I have flu- more of a severe cold but I feel like hell. It must be difficult to nurse a child through flu wish you all the best.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: