Talk

Advanced search

Cooking a Pheasant in a slow cooker

(9 Posts)
moomoo1967 Thu 23-Dec-10 08:38:34

My oven has gone kaput so I have a tiny portable oven and a slow cooker, has anyone ever cooked a pheasant or similar in a slow cooker ?
Hints and Tips most welcome please

MrsCratchit Thu 23-Dec-10 09:16:11

Yes. Give it a really good clean, then add some winter veg, herbs and stock. Lots of seasoning too. I slow cooked whilst out at work so it'll have been for about nine hours. Enjoy!

moomoo1967 Thu 23-Dec-10 09:23:24

Thanks it our Christmas day dinner ! So not much room to roast stuff

MrsCratchit Thu 23-Dec-10 09:32:41

Clean the pheasant that is- I wasn't casting adoeryions on the cleanliness of your slow cooker wink!

MrsCratchit Thu 23-Dec-10 09:33:28

Clean the pheasant that is- I wasn't casting aspertions on the cleanliness of your slow cooker wink!

MrsCratchit Thu 23-Dec-10 09:34:27

Oops- predictive text in first version of post- sorry!

moomoo1967 Thu 23-Dec-10 10:32:57

lol I got what you meant smile

thereisthesnowball Thu 23-Dec-10 12:38:29

I am going to do this on NYE (no oven here either). Do you have your pheasant already? Generally they feed two, or a big one might do 3, so first make sure that'll be enough: if your slow cooker is big you might be able to get two in.

I was going to do it like a chicken, ie on a bed of leeks or onions or carrots, with a splash of liquid to keep things moist (pheasant has a tendancy to dryness, which is why it is usually roasted with a lattice of bacon on top). I would then do the veg I wanted to eat with it separately on the hob, and use any liquid left over in the cooker to make gravy (which would be flavoured with the veg the pheasant was resting on). My back-up plan, in case the meat is dry, is to carve it or pick it off the bones and serve with a cream sauce with fried apples and maybe a splash of calvados.

Generally I find a chicken on high in my slow cooker takes about 3 hours so I was going to aim for that and leave some flex.

Good luck!

moomoo1967 Fri 24-Dec-10 00:55:00

thanks !! well as my cooker/oven has gone kaput all I have is a microwave, mini oven, slow cooker and a steamer so this year is going to be challenging to say the least !! and likewise good luck smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: