Talk

Advanced search

What are your Christmas worries?

(44 Posts)
Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 21-Dec-10 21:57:56

Mine are:

That it will snow and tomorrow's tesco delivery will not make it through (unthinkable nightmare- am working, and no time/ inclination to shop and lug the lot home by hand!)

That dc's will be somehow disappointed with presents

(Illogical one) that we will all come down with vomiting bug and that my carefully planned out Christmas will be ruined

That the tree will be bald soon- despite spending extra on "non-needledrop" Nordmann fir, it seems a bit more fragile this year than in previous years! If you touch it, it sheds loads!

That our best friends who we always spend the New Year with won't be able to make it through because of snow.

That I have spent far too much!

What are you silently fretting about?

chrimblycompo Tue 21-Dec-10 22:00:50

That arguments will overshadow the day

that travel will be a nightmare

that the grandchikdren all together will be hyper

that Im fat and feel judged by my family

that despite trekking to see my family for Xmas some of them won't be there because they're trekking to see their inlaws

roll on the 27th aka hometime

amothersplaceisinthewrong Tue 21-Dec-10 22:01:19

That it will stop snowing and then my mother will HAVE to come as I can't uninvite her

MumInBeds Tue 21-Dec-10 22:03:02

Mainly weather related, that dh won't get home on Christmas eve and family won't get here.

Other than that I fret I've not bought enough in terms of food or gifts but people will have to make do and be happy!

Jajas Tue 21-Dec-10 22:04:24

That i've spent too much as usual.... on food mostly not on presents

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 21-Dec-10 22:06:19

Yes, the weather is my biggest anxiety point- has already meant can't get through to see MIL and Dh's granny(90), who fell and broke her leg on the ice and is now in hospital sad

Also worried that I bought the wrong size golf shirt for uncle (after dad told me he thought it wouldn't fit!)

But on the plus side, my last amazon order (dad's kindle) arrived today!

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 21-Dec-10 22:07:33

Jajas- I am expecting my butcher order tomorrow, and have no idea how much it will be, but I suspect I am going to have a minor coronary when I find out! And if DH ever finds out....

RhinestoneReindeerHerder Tue 21-Dec-10 22:09:56

That it's the first year MIL was going to come to us for Christmas and the weather is making it unlikely that she will be able to come down. DS will be v disappointed (he is 4)

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 21-Dec-10 22:11:34

That I will never get off MN long enough to actually tidy the house up enough so that the guests can a. find the dinner table and b. have somewhere to sit.

FrostyAndSlippery Tue 21-Dec-10 22:12:14

That our house will still be messy (it's improved a lot but with DH being injured it's been difficult)

That DH will be in too much pain to enjoy it

That my dad won't be able to get here on Friday and help out with a few things

That when all 3 of DH's (very lovely!) DCs are here for their pre Xmas visit, they will drive each other up the wall and argue in our teeny tiny house - we normally have them individually

That his DCs won't like their presents, particularly his 18yo as we didn't get him anything 'big'

Blackletterday Tue 21-Dec-10 22:12:32

That not only will my Tesco order not arrive, they will take my £130 and leave me with about £5 to buy food for a week <frets, sends out melty vibes>

That dd will be scarred for life after not getting the toy story/various tat she asked for and will never in a million years play with sad She only inserted the woody into the list after the money ran out. She has plenty though and fingers crossed she won't bareagrudge notice.

It has been quite mild here today after getting 9 inches on sat, I can hear drip drip, so I am praying for no more snow. I have seen delivery vans about <prays for thursday>

On the plus side a book I ordered for her from amazon on Sat arrived today shock. delivery estimate was 29th and after all the hoo haa about amazon I am very impressed.

SproutsMakeTortoiseFart Tue 21-Dec-10 22:13:03

That the 2nd PS3 bought off Ebay is Fucked! 1st one didn't work (got refund) 2nd one turned up today, just tested it, started game and it shut down with red flashing light. Googling shows it may have overheated or maybe knackered. Will try again later/tomorrow night but is possible that DS1 will have no Christmas present due to 2nd twat of an Ebayer. sadangry

SproutsMakeTortoiseFart Tue 21-Dec-10 22:13:49

Oh and his new game which i bought ready for it is stuck in the PS3. sad

Dexterrocks Tue 21-Dec-10 22:13:55

We already have the vomiting bug so now I am worried that it won't have left us by Christmas day.
That I won't be able to get to my parents' house on Christmas day because of the snow.
That I have bought my Mum a handbag she already has.
That my dcs are ill so how will I do the food shop?
That my dcs are ill so I may have to wrap the last few amazon deliveries (if they come at all) in the loft.
That my dh will have got me something awful for Christmas and I won't be able to hide my dismay.
That there is no way I will have decorated the cake and made mince pies in time.
That there is no hope of getting the house into a bearable state before Saturday, let alone getting it "nice".
That I won't have enough booze for random visitors.
That I won't have any random visitors and I will have wasted heaps of money on booze.
That I may have some sort of breakdown...

herbietea Tue 21-Dec-10 22:17:06

Message withdrawn

LoopyLoopsOfSparklyFairyLights Tue 21-Dec-10 22:17:25

That my sister's flight won't come and she'll have to spend xmas alone in France.
That DH will get stuck trying to get her
That my mum won't be able to get here and spend xmas alone.
That we won't be able to get to ILs.
That BIL and SIL won't make it home.
That none of the presents will arrive.

Jajas Tue 21-Dec-10 22:18:09

Oh bless you Dexterrocks sounds like you are having a crap time sad.

Shit christmas cake, how could I forget the bleddy christmas cake..... <adds to already humumgous internet order>

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Tue 21-Dec-10 22:21:52

That we wont be able to go and see my family.
that we get vomiting bugs when we are away.
also that my very sore throat and spinning head is the harbringer of a bug that then dd will catch and get a bad asthma flare.

cheerful me!

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 21-Dec-10 22:22:08

Gosh- we are a worried lot! Lots of your worries put mine to shame blush

I seem to get obsessed with Christams, and getting it "right". When am I going to learn that there is so much I can't control? (although could have spent less!)

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 21-Dec-10 22:24:36

Sprouts- that is awful! Hope you get the ps3 working.

And dexter- here is hoping you are all better soon. Vomiting bug is one of my worst fears at this time of year, so I feel for you sad

Blackletterday Tue 21-Dec-10 22:44:03

Oh sprouts that is such bad luck. Dp got a ps3 from HMV second hand and it wouldn't switch on at first. Plus our second xbox has rrod hmm waiting for a label to send it off to the microsoft fairies. At this rate we will be getting new xboxes till we die. Really hope you can get it sorted. They are not very reliable consoles are they.

SproutsMakeTortoiseFart Tue 21-Dec-10 23:01:46

Well, it still won't work and can't get the game out. I am so upset and in tears over this. WTF am i going to do now? sad

FrostyAndSlippery Wed 22-Dec-10 09:23:23

have you only tried getting it out the 'proper way'?

How much did you spend on it - can you afford to ruin the chance of a refund and attack it with a screwdriver?

I don't know anything about eBay but can you get in touch with the sender and say that it's their fault your game got stuck and therefore you still deserve a refund?

Dexterrocks Wed 22-Dec-10 10:44:25

Thanks everyone - the vomiting seems to be easing (touch wood) so fingers crossed it will have passed by Saturday.

LauLauLemon Wed 22-Dec-10 10:50:29

I'm worried that because MIL and SIL have been in and out of hospital (SIL still in) MIL and FIL won't make it round to see us so we can give them their presents and they can meet DD2 who is almost a month old now. It seems selfish of me really but I really want them to meet DD2 although I know with DV bug in hospital that could have been picked up by MIL it was best to stay away. Surely after 2 weeks things should be fine though and they only live five minutes drive down the road?

I'm worried that my Christmas dinner won't turn out nice and it'll ruin the whole day. Fair play, DH has endured my bad cooking more than once and he's in charge of the turkey so I don't poison us all.

I'm worried about not being able to pick up the last of the Christmas presents today due to the snow (and it's started snowing again as I type this - angry).

I'm worried about my bank balance after Christmas. It's not in the red but I fear there'll be little more than £10 until next payday hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: