Talk

Advanced search

How do you hang/display your cards?

(38 Posts)
ReshapeWhileDamp Sun 19-Dec-10 10:38:34

Sorry, really boring topic! smile

Have recently moved house and not sure what to do with them. Last house we were in, there were rather ugly (slatted) bannisters going upstairs from the living room and we blutak'd the cards to them - looked very nice.

This house is dead refined, has staircase in the hall and everything! grin Living room has mantlepiece (already taken up with candles, German wooden Christmas figures and photos) and no windowsill (arch through into dining room instead). The doors are sort of eggshell so I suppose I could blutak cards to them but not keen.

I used to see those sort of adhesive ribbons in the shops, you pressed the cards to them and they stayed stuck. hmm Haven't seen them for a while, though. Anyway, shops are a drive through the snow away! I could make my own with some ribbon and glue dots (but would ruin the ribbon for future use).

Any other tips? You can buy all sorts of display stands (again, a trip to shops) but they don't seem to offer much room.

nickytwotimes Sun 19-Dec-10 10:40:19

I know I am being ungrateful, but cards do drive me batty - so cluttered looking!

Ours are on the bookcases in the dining room (there are many bookcases!).

ReshapeWhileDamp Sun 19-Dec-10 10:44:58

We have many too, but they'll just flutter off whenever the door is opened, I know it!

I like displaying cards, I just want them to stay put and look pretty. (And yes, I'm being ungrateful too, but why is it so many cards are just plain ugly and non-Christmassy these days? I want more old master Madonnas and more red and green, and less of this monochrome rubbish, please.)

DontLetTinselDragOnTheFloor Sun 19-Dec-10 10:46:47

I have a Long price of string that lies along the top of the picture rail. Cards are attached with little pegs. The string is invisible the rest of the year as it's hidden on the rail and also gets used for birthdays etc.

JustKeepSparkling Sun 19-Dec-10 10:47:52

Do you have picture rails?

I put bit pins at the corners (normally red and/or green ones cos i'm anal like that) and loop string from them.
3 different lengths of string and i have 3 curves of cards by Christmas.
Make sure you really push the pins in though.
In fact am tempted by thoughts of proper hooks there for just this purpose!

If i fill up the 3 strings I'm not sure where I'll go next as have added Ikea shelves since last year.

(oh and btw i put them all in the kids playroom, sorry i know not everyone has the luxury, then there's out of my sight most of the time!)

JustKeepSparkling Sun 19-Dec-10 10:49:18

Ooh DontLet - how is it attached?

Think i might leave one line there all year then.

DontLetTinselDragOnTheFloor Sun 19-Dec-10 10:51:44

Small nails, one in each corner of the room and one in the middle of the rail length I think. When i say nails, i mean those little thin ones, pin nails or something.
When there's nothing weighing the string down, it sits on the rail.

DontLetTinselDragOnTheFloor Sun 19-Dec-10 10:52:25

I have a similar string in the playroom for children's artwork!

JustKeepSparkling Sun 19-Dec-10 10:53:18

Sounds good, do you think i could do that for one length - short enough to sit on the rail when not in use - then tie on/loop over the longer lengths for Christmas?

puddock Sun 19-Dec-10 10:54:27

My mum's patented technique is to pin up yards of and bean netting all over one wall of the kitchen, then stick the cards in. Works for landscape and portrait cards too!

puddock Sun 19-Dec-10 10:56:25

pea and bean netting, sorry!

ReshapeWhileDamp Sun 19-Dec-10 11:31:08

No picture rails here. sad I was planning to put some fairy lights up there (if I can manage to knock in a nail or two, as ceilings are higher).

Just looked at ribbon stash and not sure I have long enough lengths for vertical glue-dot hangings!

Old house had any amount of panel pins nailed in for fairy lights, etc, but this is a new house with freshly painted walls, and somehow, I'm a bit reluctant to start banging in nails.

Hmm. will have another think. Thanks for the tips, keep 'em coming! smile

CherryTheRedNosedMonster Sun 19-Dec-10 11:34:04

i have a length of curling ribbon, tied loops in either end and used drawing pins to attach to ceiling just at the edge. stick cards over, simples

missmoopy Sun 19-Dec-10 11:37:13

On a silver cord with little silver pegs (plastic and cheap, but look lovely). And stuck to doors with bluetac.

mogs0 Sun 19-Dec-10 12:00:30

Could you slide half of each card inbetween books on your bookshelf so that only the picture is on show. They won't blow over when you open the door then.

I hung a length of ribbon with blu-tac but it keeps falling down so my cards are on the play table in the lounge but will all be knocked over when my minded children arrive tomorrow!

Guadalupe Sun 19-Dec-10 12:04:33

I have them round the windows in the kitchen, slotted between the sash and the frame.

JustKeepSparkling Sun 19-Dec-10 12:05:06

Does the staircase have bannisters?

Could you try tying ribbon/string/etc to the end ones and hanging cards off that? May have to loop it up a few times on middle bannisters.

Or vertical hanging string from the higher ones?

JustKeepSparkling Sun 19-Dec-10 12:06:23

like this?

strawberrycake Sun 19-Dec-10 12:12:40

I have about 150 cards already and no picture rails or stairs, in fact hardly any surfaces. Driving me wild. Low ceilings and rather bare flat.

PressureDrop Sun 19-Dec-10 12:15:40

I just out them on mantlepieces, kitchen side, shelves etc. If we get loads (have'nt so many this year) I string them up and hang them.

I hate the shop-bought card 'displayers' Naff-er-ama.

ReshapeWhileDamp Sun 19-Dec-10 12:21:28

Hmm. I like the bannisters idea and was wondering if I could dress them up a bit. We are still in the midst of moving chaos really - a few boxes still unpacked and we had the bannisters put in when we got here because there weren't any, just a sheer drop hmm and they haven't been painted yet. I think cards would make them look better, DH would probably say it draws attention to their naked state! Thanks, I'll have a play around.

newpup Sun 19-Dec-10 12:38:50

I put them on the dresser, bookcases, top of the piano, mantlepiece etc.

The Dds have ribbon strung across the playroom beams for theirs, they have loads!!

I hate those card hanger things a bit tasteless in my opinion.

missmoopy Sun 19-Dec-10 12:55:37

150 cards!!!! whoah, you must be popular!

Seona1973 Sun 19-Dec-10 13:24:54

ours are blutacked to the living room door. My sister has an over the door thing that you hang them from and I would have liked one but have left it too late this year

strawberrycake Sun 19-Dec-10 16:06:58

I work in a Catholic school as a SENCO and teach many children so lots of families send presents/ cards as well as friends/ family. My baby is spoilt this year. Add on ex-pupils in the community dropping cards by my flat and it can hit 250+

(Yes, I recycle them. They all get used in craft activities the following Christmas by the younger kids)

I've just hung strips of that velcro tape from the ceiling to floor and stuck cards down them. Looks quite cool.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: