Talk

Advanced search

christmas food shopping

(26 Posts)
buddytheelf Thu 16-Dec-10 17:06:37

when is everyone planning on doing their christmas food shop. Do you think it is too early too buy everything on saturday

Bonkerz Thu 16-Dec-10 17:07:29

we are going wednesday as its the only day DH has off work!

TinselinaBumSquash Thu 16-Dec-10 17:11:32

Im going to the 24hr Tesco at some ridiculous time in the night/morning to avoid crowds!

PortlyBlackSantaUpAChimney Thu 16-Dec-10 17:13:30

Wednesday - 24 hour Tesco too. although i do worry there will be nothing on the shelves at 1am

overmydeadbody Thu 16-Dec-10 17:15:33

Guys, Christmas happens every single year, and yet you discuss christmas food shopping as if you've never done it before.

<baffled>

PurpleMiffy Thu 16-Dec-10 17:16:51

I've got a delivery slot booked for monday. I hope things will last till Xmas day and that the things I want are in stock. Online shopping is my only option as I can't drag both children round the shop.

iMum Thu 16-Dec-10 17:17:56

Tescos are delivering mine on Sunday night, that way whats missing Ive still got time to go get. Normally tho I go at 3am on the 21st/22nd.

MumInBeds Thu 16-Dec-10 17:19:53

I'm planning to go about 4am on Wednesdays. This is my first time doing Christmas properly at my house so I'm early in the learning curve so I hope this is the right time.

SleepingLion Thu 16-Dec-10 17:21:47

<wonders how people managed to eat before online shopping was invented if children cannot be taken to supermarket...>

gillybean2 Thu 16-Dec-10 17:24:48

M&s food order to be collected on Wednesday. Will be picking up fresh puds and veg/fruit etc at same time.

Freezer and cupboards already fully stocked with everything else, had a huge delivery last week. Only thing that didn't come was my yule log, so will be picking that up at some point this week.

MissFit Thu 16-Dec-10 17:26:56

It's being delivered by Tesco on wednesday. Will get some bits locally on Friday.

PurpleMiffy Thu 16-Dec-10 17:28:57

Children can be taken to supermarket but I'd rather not. They are a nightmare shopping and it's going to be extra busy. Suppose before online shopping I would've gritted my teeth and done it. This just means I don't have to.

PortlyBlackSantaUpAChimney Thu 16-Dec-10 17:29:41

I do Tesco delivery for normal weekly stuff - but veggies i'd prefer to be there to shake my own bag of sprouts and choose.

stnikkilarse1978 Thu 16-Dec-10 17:30:58

I am going at 5am on Tuesday as I think they are more likely to have restocked the shelves then as they do it overnight. If I had to do it with the children there I think I would go insane. Shopping for food in that xmas week is madness, more people than space and 40 min queues. No thank you!

Cyb Thu 16-Dec-10 17:32:33

You are all nuts. The shops are shut for ONE DAY

PortlyBlackSantaUpAChimney Thu 16-Dec-10 17:33:58

True Cyb but if you've got alot of folk to cater for over three or four days you need to get food in and the fresh stuff has to be a few days before. Who wants to pop out for more stock on Boxing day morning?

MassiveKnobOfBrandyButter Thu 16-Dec-10 17:35:00

tesco delivery w3ednesday (weather permitting) then top ups on friday.

mamatomany Thu 16-Dec-10 17:37:36

According to the website our M&S is opening at 9am next week, that can't right can it ?
We actually only need food for Christmas Eve's meal and then loads of snacks for Christmas day so will do a final dash on Friday.

wubblybubbly Thu 16-Dec-10 17:42:17

I've got most of my stuff in, the non perishable stuff anyway. Stuffings are made and frozen, ready to cook. Pigs in blankets made up and stuck in the freezer too.

Last bits and bobs, including fresh veg will be delivered on Tuesday. I've ordered the turkey to collect on the 23rd, so will get any missing items then hopefully.

Of course it's not necessary, but I hate the supermarket at christmas. I know the shops are only shut for one day, but by the numbers of folk pushing around 2 trolleys, I'm not sure the rest of them do. I want to spend as little time there as possible.

CherryTheRedNosedMonster Thu 16-Dec-10 18:30:44

i am going early on thursday morning. i already have my meat. my mum wil be here about 8.30 and i intend going straight away.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Thu 16-Dec-10 18:44:16

Waitrose delivery on Weds 22nd, then DH getting turkey and anything missing from order at M and S on Thurs 23rd. First Christmas Eve for 7 years DH hasn't worked so I am buggered if I am spending one minute of it in a flaming supermarket!

8 for lunch on Xmas Day, friends and family here Boxing Day and 9 for lunch on the 27th. So no time for another shop.

ReshapeWhileDamp Thu 16-Dec-10 20:34:23

Can't get my head round it. DC2 is due on Boxing Day! We have no idea what we'll actually be doing on the 25th (pushing?) or with whom (PIL will be down with us if baby already here, or if baby is threatening to arrive, but snow where they live may stop them getting the caravan down). I am lobbying for getting a joint of beef to roast a couple of days earlier, and some bits to go with it. Just can't think that far forward at the moment! grin

(On the other hand, I am very VERY tempted to leave it all until about 4.45 on Christmas Eve and then blitz Waitrose and pick up whatever they've reduced to silly prices. So we could end up with anything! DH will make a cat's bum face at me if I suggest it, though.)

taffetazatyousantaclaus Thu 16-Dec-10 20:37:25

Excellent plan, Reshape. Two years ago Waitrose had all, and I mean all, eg Bronze free range etc, their turkeys half price on Christmas Eve.

My great aunt was so tight careful with her money, she had her Christmas dinner on Boxing Day so she could get a cheap turkey.

All the very best, btw.

herbietea Thu 16-Dec-10 20:40:45

Message withdrawn

ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight Thu 16-Dec-10 20:49:29

Have most of mine done. Turkey and sausagemeat being delivered on 23rd. Will do do final bits on Wednesday. Did a fairly big shop today so shouldn't need much.

Also planning on avoiding shopping on Xmas Eve.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »