Talk

Advanced search

Inspire me please. Xmas eve lunch, just the 2 of us

(21 Posts)
nannyl Wed 15-Dec-10 16:15:53

Thats it really.

Me and OH dont often sit down together and eat a nice lunch together, so (as he has the day off) I thought it might be nice for us to sit down for lunch.... (In between visiitng family, Xmas dinner prep, and eating mince pies!)

Bear in mind we will be having hot ham for dinner on Xmas eve, followed by turkey and all the trimmings on Christmas day and Boxing day, (and cold meats etc for tea)...

I dont really want to cook that much for lunch, as we will also be prepping Xmas dinner on Xmas eve, and doing the Ham.
Also we will be stuffing our faces for the next few days (and will have had a big dinner out, the night before so nothing too filling)

Just having a mind blank...
all i can think of is soup with fresh bread (I have a breadmaker and only make my own bread, anyway, so fresh bread isnt necessarily as much as a novelty for us as it is for others)

Im a pretty confident cook
We both eat pretty much anything

TIA

BelligerentGhoul Wed 15-Dec-10 17:36:37

When dp and I eat together, sans children, we tend to go for the things they don't like! So it would be something like:

mushroom stroganoff with rice and salads;
asparagus quiche with roasted garlic new potatoes and salad;
garlic mushrooms with good bread and salad.

Soup and homemade bread is so lovely though...

pongonperdy Wed 15-Dec-10 18:29:26

A nice seafood platter from marks.

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Wed 15-Dec-10 18:30:48

How about just some nice picky type food, nice bread, olives, cheeses, chutneys etc?

BelligerentYhoULE Wed 15-Dec-10 18:47:45

Thought of another one:

a baked camembert, little roasted new potatoes and roasted chanteray carrots; radishes, celery etc and nice bread to dio in it. Tis yummy.

GoodKingSlubbersArseFellOut Wed 15-Dec-10 18:51:57

oh yes yes yes to baked camembert

Nigel slater has a lovely recipe here

mmmm

[drool]

BelligerentYhoULE Wed 15-Dec-10 18:53:56

I do it like that but chuck some fresh rosemary and thyme in too. Just fancy it now!

Pantofino Wed 15-Dec-10 18:55:45

Oooh! <<hungry emoticon>>

nannyl Wed 15-Dec-10 19:24:31

Yumm

what a lost of great ideas. Love the idea of seafood or garlic mushrooms.

Also i might be pregnant (and but wont know by then) so will give the cheese a miss i think (although OH would be in heaven lol)

thanks very much smile

SantasMooningArse Wed 15-Dec-10 19:46:22

For us, Christmas Eve does mean a seafood buffet- with a pasta salad for ds3 who wont; eat it. It's by far DH and my fave food anyhow, and much lighter than the Christmas Day fayre.

It's the Waitrose platter that takes our fancy though the M&S one is nice if pricey.

thereisthesnowball Wed 15-Dec-10 19:48:33

I'd go for a grown-up salad of some kind: maybe sauteed pheasant breasts sliced into some frisee with orange segments and toasted hazelnuts? Ie something not too filling, not every-day-ish, but delicious and a bit of a treat.

thereisthesnowball Wed 15-Dec-10 19:48:50

PS - fingers crossed re pregnancy smile

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Wed 15-Dec-10 19:52:52

Baked eggs on a bed of spinach & lovely crusty bread with proper yummy butter?

Avocado & smoked salmon & bread

Garlic field mushrooms on toast

Baked camembert & crusty bread to dip in (fine for you to eat)

Antipasti

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Wed 15-Dec-10 19:54:37

Fresh LARGE prawns with homemade sweet chilli dip

Garlic prawns

Tilapia sizzled in butter & capers with new potatoes & salad

Steak and salad

nannyl Wed 15-Dec-10 19:59:52

wow

i had no ideas at all and now i cant decide what sounds best.... smile

thinking something seafoody (wish i had waitrose to get a seafood platter from but now ive moved ooop norf, i have to drive for at least an hour sad, where as when i lived in hampshire i had 3 within a 5 - 10min drive!!... how i miss waitrose sad and Ocado Xmas slots had gone before i had a chance to book one so no waitrsoe food for me this Xmas... sob)

or maybe steak and salad smile

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Wed 15-Dec-10 20:08:45

Steak and salad sounds great. That way if you ARE pregnant and certain foods are putting you off you can go one way or the other - hearty or light grin

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Wed 15-Dec-10 20:12:07

or doorstep bacon sandwiches with a lovely cold beer / glass of champers grin

CDMforever Wed 15-Dec-10 22:55:07

Me and DH always go for some yummy fresh seafood on xmas eve. I usually have oysters and he'll go for huge succulent prawns which I help him out with!!
That and some fizz of course!

Just seen a post that says you might be pregnant so just ignore everything I wrote!

SantasMooningArse Thu 16-Dec-10 06:46:29

nannyL and fishmongers could do it- we just don;t happen to have a local fishmonger at all. Would be lovely envy

thereisthesnowball Thu 16-Dec-10 09:14:47

What about trout? Should be able to find that in the supermarket? Really delicious fried in butter with lime juice and capers.

nannyl Thu 16-Dec-10 13:51:06

ooh we LOVE trout... had it this week actually. Agree its very nice and light smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: