Talk

Advanced search

Trivial for adults but important for kids

(19 Posts)
MyOneAndOnly Tue 14-Dec-10 14:09:26

Hi,

I realise it will appear a trivial question but I do really wonder, how do people explain their kids the existence of lots of Santa's in all shopping malls, in all shops and fairs and almost everywhere we look at?

Do you select only one Santa to take your child to and tell your child that the others are fake? Genuine question.

We took DD (age 5) to see Santa last week and it was impressive for her but nothing special. Now we have a chance to go to a more elaborate Santa experience where we can take lots of "Magical" photos of dd in magical surroundings and I am really, really tempted to book it so much... but at the same time I genuinely worry about how to explain DD that the second one is the real one as it'll be lot better? You see, the conspiracy will be coming out and it'll be all ruined, she'll ask if the second one (the theatrical one) is the real Santa, what was the first one that we went to last week?

I do not want to wait until next year to take her to the teatrical one, I'd rather do it this year.. Next year we may not have the chance to see the theatrical Santa experience... So what can we tell dd to explain two different Santa's?

I didn't grow up with so much Christmas in my childhood, and as an adult, I would not be too much bothered with Christmassy stuff if it wasn't for dd... so this Santa stuff is all new to me too.

Thanks for ideas.

DooinMeCleanin Tue 14-Dec-10 14:12:43

They Santas helpers and friends. Santa is far too busy getting his his sleigh ready for x-mas so all his friends help.

5ElvesMooningSanta Tue 14-Dec-10 14:14:02

I only take my DC to see one Santa. I do tell them though that sometimes it is the real one and sometimes it is one o his helpers as he is a very busy man, but you can never tell which is which.

Seems to have worked so far.

qwertyshell Tue 14-Dec-10 14:16:33

my kids (3&4) know the santas in the shops are just men dresses up.... im not sure where they picked that up from but i agree with them and tell them the REAL santa only comes on christmas eve x

MyOneAndOnly Tue 14-Dec-10 14:21:32

Thank you DooinMeCleanin and 5ElvesMooningSanta and qwertyshell. Lovely names, by the way

In my unimaginative mind, someone dressed as Santa would be The Santa. I think I need to re-learn how kids mind operate.

I was after a really, really "magical" & "out of this world" type of explanation but what you have said is simple and "logical" too

Thanks for replies...

MyOneAndOnly Tue 14-Dec-10 14:25:54

And I am also afraid she'll be suspicious of the whole Santa concept if I am not very believeable in my reply.

The problem is, we already told her at the time (last week) that she was going to see Santa. So she believed it was him. Now another Santa in a better place? So did Santa lie to all of us last week? Or did we lie to her? How?

Sorry, my over-analytical adult mind, spoling everything.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Tue 14-Dec-10 14:33:25

Mine take it at face value ( 7 and 4 ). When the eldest was 3 or 4, we took him to see his first Christmas fete Santa, and he saw them at Christmas parties before that, we said he was Santa. He now knows we said this as it was a nice simple explanation for his age, and now he's a big boy, we can explain to him that Santa only comes on Christmas Eve, and that the people in shops etc are helpers that dress up as him to spread his cheer whilst he's busing preparing.

A few years ago the hairdresser told him she was one of Santa's helpers as he wouldn't sit still properly for her, as an incentive for him to behave. He absolutely still believes this. grin

Haribojoe Tue 14-Dec-10 14:35:56

We go to see Santa in some shape or form every year.

DS1 (5) knows it is someone who is dressed up but understands that because Santa is so busy he needs lots of helpers all over the world to make sure that he can find out what everybody wants in time for Christmas. DS2 (3) doesn't know this yet, they're all the real deal for him.

This does not of course include last years visit to Lapland, that WAS the real Santa smile

maryz Tue 14-Dec-10 14:39:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamsnet Tue 14-Dec-10 14:39:48

We tell our four year-old DD that they are Santa's helpers.. but I do my best to keep the whole thing to a minimum. DD has a very inquiring mind confused and it just gets too complicated..

With the first one we saw the other day (who we literally bumped into, btw, I had NO plans to take her there) she said "I can see him so he's not magic" i think I pretty much go along with that actually grin

MyOneAndOnly Tue 14-Dec-10 14:43:11

Thank you ladies. I liked the hairdresser helper

I should have invested in some loose explanations up until now but probably made it rather black & white for her. Anyway... I'll gauge it by asking if she wants to see another event where Santa's helper will pretent to be him and see what thought process she comes up with. Take her cues.
Now as you can see, it has become an event for me in the end, a magical thing where I can take her photos, feed her imagination... I like that and want to do it for that reason. Making up for the Christmasses I have missed?

Nothing beats the real Lapland and I am working on it too, before it's too late & she stops believing.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 14-Dec-10 14:45:45

DS is 4 - there was a Father Christmas at our local fair last week, and we talked about whether he was the real one. DS's opinion was that he was just a man dressed up, I didn't say this to him, just said 'what do you think?'. Then we talked about FC being really busy at this time of year and prob not having time to pop down to our local community centre in December grin.

Even last year he loved the excitement of seeing FC at playgroup, but then turned to me and said 'but I think it was Dave really...' I don't think it spoils the magic, he is really into the whole thing and has written a letter and will put a carrot out for the reindeer and all that jazz.

MyOneAndOnly Tue 14-Dec-10 14:55:06

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, when they believe, it is so sweet.
RhinesoneCowgirl, you are right, the whole package and not the details matters maybe.

For my own pleasure as well as hers, I'll attempt to take her there at the weekend if still available. Should be okay.
Thank you all very much for your time...

LaurenLaverne Tue 14-Dec-10 16:36:15

When I was about 6 I went to see Father Christmas at our school fair, told him what I wanted for Christmas etc.

Then my friend went in after me, when she came out she said " I didnt know your Dad was being Father Christmas?"

We then had an argument about my Dad being the Father Christmas. It turned out she was right! I still cant beleive I didnt recognise him.

So basically if your DD is as gullible trusting as me you will be fine taking her to the other Santa!

NotFromConcentrate Tue 14-Dec-10 21:52:20

LaurenLaverne - My dad was Santa as DS1s school Christmas fair and even I didn't recognse him!!!

LaurenLaverne Wed 15-Dec-10 00:01:56

Ha Ha! well my Dad is still Father Christams for some friends kids every year but I have recognised him in recent years.
But he does have a white beard all year round anyway!

LaurenLaverne Wed 15-Dec-10 00:02:24

christmas doh!

QuoththeRaven Wed 15-Dec-10 09:46:52

i dont have this proble yet, but im quite tempted to say its santas brothers... the clauses are quite a big family wink

QuoththeRaven Wed 15-Dec-10 09:47:05

ack! problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now