Talk

Advanced search

Who has made eggnog? Did it come out well?

(7 Posts)
TurkeyMartini Sat 11-Dec-10 19:44:37

I haven't lived in the US for years but I still sort of miss eggnog. I don't even know if I'd like it now, though -- possibly a bit sickly?

Quite fancy trying to make it, but only if it is (a) easy and (b) a tried-and-tested recipe recommended by an individual, rather than randomly sourced from a random website. There are just too many different versions online to sift through.

Hoping someone will pipe up and say they make it all the time and it takes 10 minutes smile

pongonperdy Sat 11-Dec-10 20:09:28

I have. A bit of a faff but well worth it. Whipping of eggs and sugar the time consuming bit.

TurkeyMartini Sat 11-Dec-10 21:20:39

Ah nice. Do you have a recipe you'd recommend?

Jinglesomeballs Sat 11-Dec-10 22:36:16

6 eggs
2 extra egg yolks
4 cups whole milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup bourbon

Start by whisking the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large pan until well-blended. Keep on whisking while you slowly pour in the milk until it is completely mixed-in. Next, set the pan on your stove's burner and turn it to the lowest possible setting. Continuously whisk ingredients for 25-30 minutes or until the mixture reaches 160°F and will coat the underside of a spoon.

Next, remove the mixture from heat and strain it into a large-sized bowl, making sure to get out any pieces of cooked egg. Now stir in the bourbon, vanilla, and nutmeg, and transfer your mixture to a covered dish. Refrigerate the mix for at least 4 hours before proceeding.

Finally, when you're ready to serve your eggnog with alcohol, grab the heavy cream and whip it well. Now just fold in the chilled mix, pour, serve and enjoy!

Makes 14 servings.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 11-Dec-10 22:51:49

isn't that basically Drinking Custard???

TurkeyMartini Sun 12-Dec-10 13:09:32

Why, yes grin grin

TurkeyMartini Sun 12-Dec-10 13:10:14

Thanks jingle!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: