Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried the Jamie Oliver Mulled Wine recipe?

(9 Posts)
mistletoekisses Fri 10-Dec-10 12:49:10

is it any good? here

any other recipes come highly recommended? I am making some for a party tomorrow. It is a minefield...do you add juice or don't you? Brandy or any other form of alcohol?

Help please!

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 10-Dec-10 13:49:25

This was reviewed, along with numerous other mulled wine recipes, in the Guardian yesterday and came out top!

Never tried it myself but the fact you make the syrup first means that all the alcohol doesn't burn off whilst trying to infuse the flavours - that sounds good to me!

DuchessOfAvon Fri 10-Dec-10 13:51:15

DH made it and it was lovely but too sweet for my taste. Cut back the sugar by half and I think it'd be great.

mountainmonkey Fri 10-Dec-10 13:51:23

I tried it last year and will definitely be doing it again this year- its lovely! Went down very well with everybody. I just stuck to the recipe but DP put a drop of brandy in with his.

mistletoekisses Fri 10-Dec-10 14:15:15

you are all superstars!

holly - thanks for the tip, have found the article. www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/d ec/09/how-to-make-perfect-mulled-wine

duchess- the reviewer seems to agree with you re. the sickly sweetness.

I think I may give the slightly amended version a whirl <<whispers>> tonight, in the spirit of trialling in advance you understand. grin

LikeSurprises Fri 10-Dec-10 14:27:19

I made it last weekend too and it's gorgeous! Will be making it again! Didn't have star anise or lime, not sure if it would heve been even better with all ingredients.. But it didn't bother me nor DHsmile

NotFromConcentrate Fri 10-Dec-10 20:46:05

Ooooh, the JO recipe looks great!

Does mulled wine have to be made and consumed on the same day, or will it (or just the syrup) keep for a few days?

mistletoekisses Fri 10-Dec-10 21:00:21

I can report back and say it is lush. Have done a mix of the guardian recipe and jamies one. Have put in all the spices, halved the amount of sugar, left out the vanilla pod and also used ginger wine.

DH and I are currently 'sampling' and hands down, it is the best mulled wine we have both ever had.

worldgonemad72 Sat 11-Dec-10 14:45:28

I made it last year and it was gorgeous, will be making it again this year but like other posters will be cutting down on the sugar.
Im not sure how long it would keep for, as we drank all ours the same night blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: