Talk

Advanced search

Mulled Wine

(7 Posts)
coffeekaren Thu 09-Dec-10 21:27:53

Love it - tried at home before to make and never tastes as it does in bars etc Loads of recipies about but does anyone have a good tried and tested one to share. smile Picturing myself doing it from scratch rather than having horrid marks and spencer mulled wine which never take to

jellycat Thu 09-Dec-10 21:34:16

Haven't got a recipe, but I usually get some of those bags of spices (e.g. Swartz), a bit like bouquet garni for wine! You can usually buy them in supermarkets. Add sugar to taste (I add quite a lot!) and some orange juice and brandy, and leave it to stew very gently with the lid on the pan for a long time...IMO that's the trick.

Grockle Thu 09-Dec-10 21:34:18

I use Nigella's recipe. Or I used to. I now just chuck stuff in a pot and it's always good.

Roughly:

1 bottle red wine
Splash of Rum/ Sherry/ Brandy (I prefer rum)
1 stick cinnamon
1 star anise
1 orange studded with 8 cloves - cut orange into quarters and squeeze a bit when you put them in the pan
1 tbs honey
1 tbs dark brown sugar (I like more sugar than this)
1 mug of Early grey

Grockle Thu 09-Dec-10 21:34:57

Quite a big splash of rum

hogshead Thu 09-Dec-10 21:39:11

I still use my grandads receipe and he always made his mulled wine with pineapple juice rather than orange and a good bottle of claret. Add the brandy last too or all that lovely alcohol disappears.

lilolilmanchester Thu 09-Dec-10 21:43:28

second the Schwarz bags - ok, so maybe not quite Nigella's but a compromise between that and the artificial tasting stuff out of a bottle. You definitely need to add sugar.

coffeekaren Thu 09-Dec-10 22:06:03

oh how lovely thank you all = will do trials this week wink with the schwarz and think will add bits from nigella - all in name of research of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now