Talk

Advanced search

AIBU Tescos have no delivery slots from 23rd-27th Dec

(27 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Thu 09-Dec-10 18:57:23

Message withdrawn

neolara Thu 09-Dec-10 18:59:22

I got sent an email about a week ago suggesting I booked my Tesco slot for Xmas. I booked mine then and I guess other people who got sent the email did too. I would definitely not have thought about doing so if I hadn't been prompted.

KittyFloss Thu 09-Dec-10 18:59:29

Think it was Monday they came out, they do go pretty quick though. You could keep checking back? I bet a few people will cancel.

crazygracieuk Thu 09-Dec-10 19:03:24

I stay up till midnight to book the slot that I want. Tesco practically own this part of Surrey and slots for the last delivery (23rd?) go by 12:30 on the day they come out.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 09-Dec-10 19:03:27

Message withdrawn

Habbibu Thu 09-Dec-10 19:04:43

Can you get a neighbour to take in your shopping if it's delivered on 22nd, say?

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 09-Dec-10 19:06:17

Message withdrawn

Habbibu Thu 09-Dec-10 19:07:13

If it's cold, it'd survive in a garage/shed for a night, I reckon.

Habbibu Thu 09-Dec-10 19:07:43

Or try Sainsburys/Asda?

marriednotmulled Thu 09-Dec-10 19:17:15

Ideal fridge temperature is 3-4 degrees so a box in the shed or garage would be fine for most (UK) people lately.

We've done that in the past for drinks and sealed items/veg when we've had lots of extras.

Habbibu Thu 09-Dec-10 19:18:30

We kept our turkey in the shed and boot of the car, on the recommendation of turkey people last year. Boot of car pretty cold!

herbietea Thu 09-Dec-10 19:23:16

Message withdrawn

NetworkGuy Thu 09-Dec-10 19:39:47

StarlightMcKenzie - not sure extra drivers would really help - they are not going to increase the number of vehicles for a few weeks of the year, and I do not know when their last or first deliveries are, but those hours are unlikely to be increased either.

Not sure many would want a delivery after 23:00, though years ago my OnDigital [forerunner of Freeview] box was replaced with a delivery at 22:45 so there have been delivery firms willing to run that late... but perhaps at some higher cost in salaries.

Having seen some recent thread about the slots being made available (primarily, it seemed to the most loyal customers, first) and promptly filled up, it hardly seems likely that this will improve in future years.

They were adding days for only particular accounts so individual users would see extra days when they could book a slot, and that does reflect a "reward loyalty" approach, even if they got it wrong for some "big spenders", who might not return to Tesco in future.

Will be much worse if the big 6 (Asda/ Co-Op/ Morrisons/ Ocado/ Sainsbury/ Tesco) swallow up any more chains. Tesco has approx 30% of market already and small firms must struggle each time a new Tesco Extra or Tesco Express opens up.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Thu 09-Dec-10 21:19:13

Where are you on 22nd? Is it feasible to get it delivered there and transport it back with you?

Or try another supermarket.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 09-Dec-10 21:21:56

Message withdrawn

taffetazatyousantaclaus Thu 09-Dec-10 21:27:33

ROFL images of Starlight squeezing 14lb turkey into the overhead lockers

Glad to hear ASDA have a slot grin

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Dec-10 21:28:43

Waitrose.com got me a slot during that period just last night.

I just ordered what I thought was a small quantity of mushrooms (hint a small quantity is 50 not 250 grams <has been eating them daily since delivery a week ago emoticom goes here> hmm)

Habbibu Thu 09-Dec-10 22:02:38

250g mushrooms is just an average box, isn't it?

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Dec-10 22:10:00

Yes. I wanted two mushrooms for a recipe.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Dec-10 22:10:51

I have ended up taking them on holiday with me and eating them every day for breakfast. I have no idea why I can't accept that I just mucked up and thrown them away. confused

missnevermind Thu 09-Dec-10 22:13:18

I have just made an order for the 23rd.
But when I checked last week and earlier this week they had none at all. I have been very lucky it seems but no I didn't get an email either.

FunkySnowSkeleton Thu 09-Dec-10 22:15:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FunkySnowSkeleton Thu 09-Dec-10 22:18:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dreamingofsun Thu 09-Dec-10 22:34:13

managed to get a slot on thursday 23rd just now - several have appeared as they had all gone at one point.

i'm sure they must be going what they can - its potentially lost business otherwise

TheHoneydragonsInTheIvy Thu 09-Dec-10 22:44:23

To get my slot on the 23rd I had to wait uptil midnight the night before they were released, booked immediately - by 12.14 they had nearly all gone.

They do extra slots too that week working right up till 10.00pm and sometimes beyond.

Its supply and demand I'm afraid, my midnight Tesco vigil is as much a part to the run up to christmas as the advent calander now grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: