Talk

Advanced search

Do you get dressed up on Christmas day?

(42 Posts)
ochayethenoo Wed 08-Dec-10 19:14:48

My family always get scrubbed up on the big day. Suited and booted, best clobber on.
The past few years I've been going to my OH's family for christmas and am always really disappointed that they're just kicking about in there joggy bottoms.
Feel like it takes some of the magic away. does this make me a snob? My OH thinks so.
I should add that i would never let on to his folks that i'd rather we were all dressed up.

NemoTheRedNosedFish Wed 08-Dec-10 19:17:10

I dress up - dh is in pyjamas smile

I am currently searching for a nice tunic / dress / tunic dress for myself for Christmas Day and I might get dd something for dd too...

MassiveKnob Wed 08-Dec-10 19:19:12

i am as scruffy on christmas day as any other day, which is a pair of old jeans

conkertree Wed 08-Dec-10 19:19:30

Too right. Boys and dh in their kilts, me in a nice (hopefully new but I doubt it) dress. I love making it a special occasion like that, although on the other hand, if you dress smartly for work everyday ( I work from home so don't unless I get bored and want to change clothes to change my mood) I could see why to dress in pjs might make a nice change and make that a special day iyswim.

NoahAndTheWhale Wed 08-Dec-10 19:22:16

I wear a nice dress, dd wears a nice dress. Dh and ds less likely to.

SoNotWorthIt Wed 08-Dec-10 19:23:12

why would you though? it's just a day. Albeit a bit different, it's not a formal day.

DandyDan Wed 08-Dec-10 19:23:14

We're dressed up on Xmas Day - go to church and for the rest of the day. And also on Boxing Day visiting parents/in-laws.

boogeek Wed 08-Dec-10 19:23:42

Definitely a nice frock here, and new clothes for the children. DH in his jeans There's a theme arising isn't there!

unfitmother Wed 08-Dec-10 19:26:39

I always scrub up, so does DD.

BelligerentGhoul Wed 08-Dec-10 19:28:08

I wear a new jumper if dp buys me one: otherwise I'd wear a skirt and woolly tights, with a jumper - so not dressed up but not jeans or slob clothes either.

mogs0 Wed 08-Dec-10 19:28:37

Sometimes I make a bit of an effort (quite often I don't!). The rest of my family do generally put on their posh stuff.

One year, I made an extra special effort and Ds (16months) threw up all over me within about half an hour so I had to go back to my scruffy stuff!

It's such a rare occurance for me to wear smart clothes that most of what I have left doesn't fit anymore blush. I might go and treat myself to something for this year with me ebay winnings!

MassiveKnob Wed 08-Dec-10 19:30:11

I would dress up if i was going out for the day, but to be at home with the family, I really don;t see the point.

I am not that elegant, and would feel uncomfortable floating around doing the lunch in a nice dress.

By the time the turkey is out of the oven, I will have slopped ingredients all down me, and then melted my mascara with all the oven opening and look like a panda.

Norfolkbumpkin Wed 08-Dec-10 19:31:10

Another dressing up household here, with dh always in his 'smartest' jeans.

TanteAC Wed 08-Dec-10 19:35:46

Oh definitely!
I have never grown out of having a 'christmas outfit' since my first Christmasgrin

Already have my eye on a dress, heels and accessories...fa la la la la la la la la la! (enough? trying to sing the 'la's back)

First crimbo with (now) DH he was amazed when I asked him at start of Dec what he was wearing on the day!

LifeOfKate Wed 08-Dec-10 19:36:30

I'm the middle of the road, I normally dress up a pair of jeans with a nice top I can't say I've noticed what DH wears blush

LynetteScavo Wed 08-Dec-10 19:41:18

Yes I do get dressed up. But I have a rule, that I only get pissed when I have my best clothes on and my hair is done. So basically I'm giving myself permission to down a buck fizz for breakfast20,000 sherry's before lunch, a decent amount of wine with lunch and then some port. It's the only way I can get though a day which includes the combination of DM and MIL. And A sober DH who will say at 8pm ""how fucking much did that day cost then?"

LynetteScavo Wed 08-Dec-10 19:42:06

And abuse apostophies throughout December.

frenchfancy Wed 08-Dec-10 19:53:22

I dress up. I have a lovely dress which is also agreeably stretchy. I only ever wear it a christmas so it is special, but it alows me to stuff my face without being uncomfortable.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Wed 08-Dec-10 20:12:14

same as Belligerent, have a moleskine black knee length skirt this year, a nice top and jade green cardi.

My MIL always wears some massively OTT flashing Christmas tree earrings for a larf. She is very subdued and reserved the rest of the year. The DC stare and stare at her. grin

DD wears a dress, she wants to wear party dresses every day anyway, so I indulge her. DS and DH make a little nod to it, DH wears a Santa hat.

Dexterrocks Wed 08-Dec-10 20:19:06

We used to go out for a meal as an extended family so we would be dressed up - muted but our best gear.
Now there are 4 children we have Christmas at home - usually my parents house - so we dress up but not as much. eg nice jeans and a nice top.
The dcs tend to wear their party stuff - my ds is the only boy but he will wear smarter trousers and a shirt - the girls wear their party dresses or best new outfit.
It makes it feel more of an occasion.
Boxing Day however is much more slobby. We usually have family round for a late lunch but generally wont be dressed until half an hour before they come.

LynetteScavo Wed 08-Dec-10 20:19:39

And I always wear my paper hat from the cracker longer than anyone else.

PlanetEarth Wed 08-Dec-10 20:24:16

We always dress up, it makes it more of an occasion.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Wed 08-Dec-10 20:27:31

lol Lynette me too I woke up in mine on Boxing Day last year

lucysmam Wed 08-Dec-10 20:32:59

We dress up, I've just saved for ages and bought a lovely jumpsuit with sparkles so will be heading to Primark to see what cheap & cheerful jewellery I can find to go with it. We rarely get to go out dressed up so turn things like Xmas into an event instead with dd1 in a party dress & dp wears his trousers and a smartish shirt. DD1 would dress up just to go to nursery though if she could grin. DD2, I'm not sure what she'll be wearing, she lives in slouchy comfy baby trousers & tee shirts normally because there's not a lot else that she can wear with the brace on her legs.... we'll see what we can find her though

SpeedyGonzalez Wed 08-Dec-10 20:35:57

We all get new spangly dresses. This year DH is trying a natty off-the-shoulder Monsoon number in red velvet. Pencil skirt to accentuate his hips. Mmmm...grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: