Talk

Advanced search

alternative (pieless) recipes for mincemeat

(10 Posts)
unavailable Wed 08-Dec-10 17:29:26

I have not planned well this year.

I usually try to make a cake or pudding but was a bit behind and have only managed mincemeat. Not sure why I made that choice, as no one in the family is particularly keen on mince pies.

Does anyone have any other ideas for festive fare with mince they would be kind enough to share?

Niecie Wed 08-Dec-10 17:33:02

I have a recipe for a cake made with mincemeat. Very easy - just basic cake ingredients but instead of weighing out all sorts of fruit you just put in a jar of mincemeat. Doesn't need to mature or anything and you can use it for a Christmas cake. It doesn't taste the same, not quite, you do get the flavour of the mincemeat coming through. It is also quite moist.

Other than that, put it in apple pie or crumble. Not sure that is festive but it taste nice!!

MrsHypDip Wed 08-Dec-10 17:33:37

Maybe this is too pie like for you but I saw a recipe using filo pastry that you wrapped around the mincemeat and made cigar shapes....

SJisontheway Wed 08-Dec-10 17:35:21

you can put it between layers of sponge too.

unavailable Wed 08-Dec-10 18:00:18

Thanks all. I hadnt thought of cake or crumble.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Wed 08-Dec-10 18:24:34

mincemeat muffins
mincemeat and marzipan loaf cake
mincemeat crumble pie
mincemeat stuffed in Bramley apples and cooked
Banbury cakes - like mince pies but with puff
mincemeat and apple jalousie/strudel
mincemeat crackers using feuille de brick pastry

SNOWmami Wed 08-Dec-10 18:37:17

Mixed into softened ice-cream and then re-frozen in a bowl as Christmas Pudding Ice Cream Bombe Extravaganza.

Cor but I really want a baked apple now taffeta envy

ProfYaffle Wed 08-Dec-10 18:39:28

I love mincemeat mixed with apples or quinces in crumble. I made mincemeat muffins with amaretto icing last year, they were nice.

unavailable Wed 08-Dec-10 18:46:50

oohh muffins with amaretto icing; That sounds fab!

I will have to google "jalousie" taffeta - no idea what it is but sounds good.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Wed 08-Dec-10 19:41:17

unavailable - here

Its very nice, I made one a few years ago with some leftover mincemeat

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: