Talk

Advanced search

Christmas present suggestions for 5 yr old boy & 3 yr old girl please

(12 Posts)
bobs Tue 07-Dec-10 22:21:49

Any ideas anyone for anything (reasonably priced!)for my nephew and niece? I don't have boys and can't remember what I bought my daughters that long ago smile
The boy is just starting school. I've looked in ELC and don't fancy anythng

onepieceoflollipop Tue 07-Dec-10 22:24:54

Playmobil?

My 3 year old dd is very keen on anything related to Peppa Pig.

Could you ask your db/dsis for ideas?

bobs Tue 07-Dec-10 22:26:40

I did ask them - they weren't much help except to say the boy had enough lego! The girl likes Peppa Pig too - any suggestions in that area?

onepieceoflollipop Tue 07-Dec-10 22:33:55

Hi bobs.

I did a quick google of Peppa Pig and there is just so much (too much choice!)

How about a Peppa dvd, new ones come our fairly frequently. Or a colouring set, dd has one in a kind of hard plastic case and you use the top as a little table. Couldn't find the exact one to link for you.

If I get really stuck then in your position I would perhaps spend a £5 on a thoughtfully chosen small gift then add a voucher for somewhere appropriate (Entertainer, or local department store that sells clothes and toys). For children of that age how about character pjs (unless your family have issues about clothing as presents!?)

e.g. Charlie and Lola/Peppa Pig for the girl. Toy Story for the boy? Mothercare good for character type clothing (or indeed Asda or Tesco)

bobs Tue 07-Dec-10 22:42:46

Thanks for that. i like the Peppa DVD idea - or will look for pjs. I gave her a small Peppa colouring set for her Birthday.
Next year I will take them both to Build-a-Bear!

GraceK Tue 07-Dec-10 22:47:28

A Glutting Giraffe - awful name / fantastic toy. Purchased for DD1 when almost 2 & still a favourite toy two years later. Pleasantly fascinating & popular with drunks to.

For the boy (or tomboy) I've been very impressed with the ELC Morphibians remote control cars - splash & bash proof & great fun to drive. The Gator version has headlights so you can see when they've forgotten to turn it off.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 07-Dec-10 22:49:55

I was going to suggest build-a-bear. It also has the massive advantage that for future birthdays etc you can buy clothes/accessories for the bears or even a voucher when the dcs are bigger.

Glitterandglue Tue 07-Dec-10 22:57:45

Things I've bought for my nice and nephews nephews the last few years include a huge box of Playdough, a drumkit [though that was for four of them to share, heh], books [noisy ones are best of course], things that light up, magic painting books, any rubbish with their favourite characters on, slimy/squishy things like goop in a jar or sticky body parts, dart guns, a dartboard [er, a velcro one, that is], simple model planes/cars [like five or six pieces of card that slot together], threading cards/buttons, simple card games like Pairs, lots of pens/pencils/felt tips etc, balloons [they do light up ones, too], bubble wands, little games like Tiddlywinks, colour by numbers books, lots of various toy vehicles with different functions, educational [but fun!] posters...

I often find it difficult to find something that they would really enjoy [and use] for a reasonable price, so I tend to get them several smaller cheaper things that I know they'll actually like, and it's more fun in the unwrapping anyway. Having said all that, it depends on your relationship with your niece and nephew but I know for mine the best present is getting to go out with me. I've just recently taken the oldest two out with me to shop for what they wanted within a limit, and they loved that. Might be a bit of a pointless exercise for the three year old though [the choosing presents bit] as they tend to get so overwhelmed with choice they either want nothing or everything, but going out could still be an option maybe.

TheChrimbolyMallows Tue 07-Dec-10 23:02:27

Wilkinsons had lots of peppa pig toys, I got a great peppa pig Drs set for £10.

bobs Tue 07-Dec-10 23:06:54

Ha - Tempted by the drumkit! It would be payback for when my brother (aforementioned kids Dad) bought DD1 a ballpool complete with 300 balls angry
Glutting Giraffe - must check that out. also Morphibians. Also Playdough

kateecass Tue 07-Dec-10 23:08:23

My 4.5 year DS and 2.5 year DD are getting from us and family:

DS:
double ended lightsaver
ben 10 watch
ben 10 figures
bakugan
zibit
paper jamz guitar
how to train my dragon DVD
toy story 3 dvd

DD:
peppa pig rucksack
owl purse/bag
dress
dog in a dog carrier toy
bowl/plate/cup set
bead necklace/bracelet

Glitterandglue Tue 07-Dec-10 23:11:23

Forgot to add - one year I got them [I tend to buy a combined present for Christmas for the four of them, so this year it's an toy learning laptop] a fold-up tunnel. That was only a tenner, too. If you're prepared to spend more you can get all the tents and nonsense to go with it.

The drumkit has, oddly enough, been moved to the shed...where they are free to go and play it, if only they can find the other drumstick, as one of them moved it and nobody knows who it was or where to. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now