Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas of very cheap presents for teenagers

(16 Posts)
jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:27:48

We have 16 nephews and nieces to buy for. Usually we buy them a £10 token each, but this year £160 is just too much.

I saw a great alarm clock which changes colour for £3.50 in a pound shop. The very same clock is in the Letterbox catalogue for £11. Sadly the shop has run of them, and they can't order anymore.

Has anyone any other ideas? We could stretch to a fiver each.

TIA

WhatsWrongWithYou Tue 07-Dec-10 12:30:52

It'd take ages, but could you get one of those plastic screw organisers with divided sections and fill each one with sweets?
Asda have cheap old-fashioned sweets usually. Tie a ribbon around to make them look posher!

mogs0 Tue 07-Dec-10 12:31:41

It has been suggested here before, wrap a bar of chocolate in a £5 note.

If there are a few siblings per family, could you get a board game for the family rather than individual presents?

Or, a family dvd hamper? Dvd, popcorn, crisps etc?

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 07-Dec-10 12:33:03

£5 cinema voucher? My teens are always pleased with those.

Novelty knickers?! (Mine might be slightly less pleased with those, I'm not sure!)

KatyMac Tue 07-Dec-10 12:33:56

Girls easy - small make-up/bath sets on 3 for 2 at Tesco

Or vouchers for £5 phone top-up or mp3 tracks (thingies)

Gloves (black practical or funky colours)
Socks
Cheap DVD/CD

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:37:20

Great ideas. I hadn't thought of sweets.
The chocolate's a good idea.

They range from age 12- 22, some have left home(one is actually married now!), and I think have varied tastes in DVDs, so that could be promblematic, as would the board game.

Thanks for the ideas, and keep them coming please.

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:40:05

I'd feel really tight giving a £5 pound voucher when we usually give £10!

Gloves are a good idea, especially in the current climate. I could probably find some nice ones if I look around a bit. Asda do quite nice woolies.

Merrylegs Tue 07-Dec-10 12:41:42

All my nephews are getting these 5.99 SoulCalbelts - v cool brand and is also a bottle opener - my teen boys love them!

Paperchase is fab for girls - all the nieces are getting mini hot water bottles for a fiver - (just the right size for achey backs and tummies apparently wink)

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:45:20

Calbelts look great, Merry. Also like hot water bottle idea. There's only one girl out of 16, but I've seen some really nice ones somewhere, hope I remember!

cheeseytoastie Tue 07-Dec-10 12:46:04

I can't believe you're still getting for the over 18s! They can get a 4-pack of beer or some wine surely? I second boxes of sweets for the others. I get old shoe boxes, cover them with wrapping paper and fill them with a fiver's worth of the 10p sweets you can buy at Morrisons, looks great for the low cost!

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:50:49

I know toasie. I think we should stop once they are 21, especially the ones we hardly see. One family we see all the time, so I want to keep buying for them. The one who is married should be buying his own sweets by now.grin

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:52:19

Forgot to say, most have to be posted so sweets would cost alot in postage.

cheeseytoastie Tue 07-Dec-10 12:53:54

Definitely! Also, how about getting a present to be shared between siblings? Esp. older ones, they could get a big box of Celebrations or something like that and just split it between them? a fiver doesn't go far for a single present, but £10 or £15 is easier..

cheeseytoastie Tue 07-Dec-10 12:55:55

Ok, how about getting Amazon to deliver it for you? Only get one present per family, how about these www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplac eID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&me=A16RMNZ65DBBJC

cheeseytoastie Tue 07-Dec-10 12:57:29

or this www.amazon.co.uk/Retro-Sweet-Shop-Gift-Chewbz/dp/B 003AN7KT8/ref=pd_sim__1

Think I might actually do that for my cousin's two boys who we hardly see and are at That Awkward Age!!

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 13:13:53

Really like the retro one. I'm going to get that for one of the families who I know will like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now