Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas of very cheap presents for teenagers

(16 Posts)
jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:27:48

We have 16 nephews and nieces to buy for. Usually we buy them a £10 token each, but this year £160 is just too much.

I saw a great alarm clock which changes colour for £3.50 in a pound shop. The very same clock is in the Letterbox catalogue for £11. Sadly the shop has run of them, and they can't order anymore.

Has anyone any other ideas? We could stretch to a fiver each.

TIA

WhatsWrongWithYou Tue 07-Dec-10 12:30:52

It'd take ages, but could you get one of those plastic screw organisers with divided sections and fill each one with sweets?
Asda have cheap old-fashioned sweets usually. Tie a ribbon around to make them look posher!

mogs0 Tue 07-Dec-10 12:31:41

It has been suggested here before, wrap a bar of chocolate in a £5 note.

If there are a few siblings per family, could you get a board game for the family rather than individual presents?

Or, a family dvd hamper? Dvd, popcorn, crisps etc?

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 07-Dec-10 12:33:03

£5 cinema voucher? My teens are always pleased with those.

Novelty knickers?! (Mine might be slightly less pleased with those, I'm not sure!)

KatyMac Tue 07-Dec-10 12:33:56

Girls easy - small make-up/bath sets on 3 for 2 at Tesco

Or vouchers for £5 phone top-up or mp3 tracks (thingies)

Gloves (black practical or funky colours)
Socks
Cheap DVD/CD

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:37:20

Great ideas. I hadn't thought of sweets.
The chocolate's a good idea.

They range from age 12- 22, some have left home(one is actually married now!), and I think have varied tastes in DVDs, so that could be promblematic, as would the board game.

Thanks for the ideas, and keep them coming please.

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:40:05

I'd feel really tight giving a £5 pound voucher when we usually give £10!

Gloves are a good idea, especially in the current climate. I could probably find some nice ones if I look around a bit. Asda do quite nice woolies.

Merrylegs Tue 07-Dec-10 12:41:42

All my nephews are getting these 5.99 SoulCalbelts - v cool brand and is also a bottle opener - my teen boys love them!

Paperchase is fab for girls - all the nieces are getting mini hot water bottles for a fiver - (just the right size for achey backs and tummies apparently wink)

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:45:20

Calbelts look great, Merry. Also like hot water bottle idea. There's only one girl out of 16, but I've seen some really nice ones somewhere, hope I remember!

cheeseytoastie Tue 07-Dec-10 12:46:04

I can't believe you're still getting for the over 18s! They can get a 4-pack of beer or some wine surely? I second boxes of sweets for the others. I get old shoe boxes, cover them with wrapping paper and fill them with a fiver's worth of the 10p sweets you can buy at Morrisons, looks great for the low cost!

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:50:49

I know toasie. I think we should stop once they are 21, especially the ones we hardly see. One family we see all the time, so I want to keep buying for them. The one who is married should be buying his own sweets by now.grin

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 12:52:19

Forgot to say, most have to be posted so sweets would cost alot in postage.

cheeseytoastie Tue 07-Dec-10 12:53:54

Definitely! Also, how about getting a present to be shared between siblings? Esp. older ones, they could get a big box of Celebrations or something like that and just split it between them? a fiver doesn't go far for a single present, but £10 or £15 is easier..

cheeseytoastie Tue 07-Dec-10 12:55:55

Ok, how about getting Amazon to deliver it for you? Only get one present per family, how about these www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplac eID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&me=A16RMNZ65DBBJC

cheeseytoastie Tue 07-Dec-10 12:57:29

or this www.amazon.co.uk/Retro-Sweet-Shop-Gift-Chewbz/dp/B 003AN7KT8/ref=pd_sim__1

Think I might actually do that for my cousin's two boys who we hardly see and are at That Awkward Age!!

jemimapotts Tue 07-Dec-10 13:13:53

Really like the retro one. I'm going to get that for one of the families who I know will like it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: