Talk

Advanced search

should i blow the budget and surprise them?

(10 Posts)
TheYuleLogLady Sun 05-Dec-10 19:09:35

i told the DDs they'd not be getting anything 'big' this year. to be frank - they don't actually need anything.

BUT

if i do a couple of extra shifts i could push the boat out. which would be a nice surprise.

DD2 would like a fancy scootr or a keyboard.

DD1? i have no idea.

DH - i got a ukelele

should i? what to get them?

ideas please.

mylifewithstrangers Sun 05-Dec-10 19:10:57

No, if they don't need it then don't do it. Make Christmas about being and doing stuff together instead

TheUnmentioned Sun 05-Dec-10 19:11:58

if you dont know what to get them dont buy just for the sake of it, take them for a day out instead?

TheYuleLogLady Sun 05-Dec-10 19:15:42

hmmm. true. but am also working all christmas.

ChristianaCatesby Sun 05-Dec-10 19:16:56

No, don't, not if they don't need it.

mylifewithstrangers Sun 05-Dec-10 19:19:28

Then guilt presents are even worse, they'll totally see through that. If you can make time for them (despite work) then they'll appreciate it more e.g. Watch a great movie snuggled on the sofa with hot choc and sweets, go ice skating etc.

TheYuleLogLady Sun 05-Dec-10 19:30:09

yes but I have working-over-christmas-and-every-school-holiday guilt. see the point though.will get myself some nice boots instead grin

PaisleyLeaf Sun 05-Dec-10 20:37:07

If they still 'believe' then don't. You don't want to set a precedent.
If they know the presents are from you then do it if you want.
But I think I'd be inclined to do something nice together with the money - ice skating, day trip, good grotto, etc

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sun 05-Dec-10 20:43:34

If it makes you happy then do it. I guess thats why you want to do it.

When I was a kid I so didn't see through my Dad's guilt presents. I loved them. grin

<evil consumer>

frazzled74 Sun 05-Dec-10 21:20:49

i would say yes if there was something they were desperate for but as you dont know what to get them and are already working over christmas ,I would spend time with them doing something christmasy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now