Talk

Advanced search

Help with a nice bottle of wine please

(12 Posts)
tummytickler Sun 05-Dec-10 13:06:09

Now, I drink a fair bit of wine, but I will drink most things, and I forget the bottles that I have really enjoyed. I am pretty crap at knowing what a good wine is!

So, please, please can somebody help me? I want to give a bottle of wine to ds's friends parents. They are lovely, and have taken dh and ds to football matches (our ds's play in the same team) every Sunday as we have no car at the moment. Dh and the Dad also get on well.

I want something nice to say thanks and Merry Christmas. Budget of about £10, and no idea if the prefer red or white! Or should i think of something else entirely?

meep Sun 05-Dec-10 13:24:51

New Zealand wines are always nice - red or white.

If going for white I would avoid chardonnay - people seen to either love it or hate it (I hate it!)
Majestic wines always have good deals and bin end wine at reduced prices.

Maternelle Sun 05-Dec-10 13:26:45

If you pick a French one, you cannot go wrong with a Bordeaux if it says "Mis en bouteille au chateau" or "Mis en bouteille a la propriete" and has the year on the label.

MrsCratchit Sun 05-Dec-10 16:28:53

If you can creep your budget up a bit a bottle of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc is both delicious and will please a discerning eye.

MrsCratchit Sun 05-Dec-10 16:31:23

http://www.ndjohn.co.uk/cloudy-bay-sauvignon-blanc -2790-0.html?gclid=CJCOusrE1aUCFcse4QodehB9jQ

cheapest I can find with a very quick search.

celticlassie Sun 05-Dec-10 16:37:49

I love Montana Wine from New Zealand. Either that or you can't go far wrong with a nice Chablis or Sancerre. I'm a red wine drinker but love both of those whites.

meep Sun 05-Dec-10 16:40:51

that is a really good price for Cloudy Bay.........I want some!

reddaisy Sun 05-Dec-10 16:43:23

I agree about the Chardonnay comment. I also hate it.

moid Sun 05-Dec-10 16:49:51

After reading a review we bought this - very good and totally unpricey

www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Good-Ordinary-Claret /33196011?parentContainer=SEARCHclaret

Go to Majestic wines, tell them your budget and they will normally let you try something. Really hard to rate a wine without trying it!

Mummyinthedark Sun 05-Dec-10 18:25:45

had to chip in here - I think Sauvignon Blanc's are a very marmite wine - and Cloudy Bay has become so populr with the "love it" school of thought that producers overcharge for it.
Agree that a Bordeaux would be a safe bet.

tummytickler Sun 05-Dec-10 19:27:22

Thank you ever so much! I will do some research based on your ideas and buy something nice next weekend (I might buy one for me too!).

SantasENormaSnob Sun 05-Dec-10 19:58:16

I would try to find out which they drink tbh.

Pointless buying a red if they only drink white or vice versa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now