Talk

Advanced search

We are sick of Pop to the Bl**dy Shops - anyone got any suggestions for family boardgame (youngest age 5?)

(23 Posts)
Cappster Sun 05-Dec-10 09:04:06

I did like Junior Monopoly once at a friend's house but that's not available now it seems

anyone got any ideas? I need to tell Santa. He's very pushy at present about answers, and sometimes on the phone I swear he sounds just like my mother

iloveblue Sun 05-Dec-10 09:16:44

Monopoly Junior is available in Argos - and its on special offer at the mo - only £6.49.
I've bought it for 6 and 4 yr old DS's.

madrose Sun 05-Dec-10 09:19:10

oh thank you, i've been looking for monopoly junior

cluelessnchaos Sun 05-Dec-10 09:20:06

Mine love the game of life and going for broke, you do need an adult to play if only to count up all the cash at the end ( and check 13 year old dd1 isn't cheating)

panettoinydog Sun 05-Dec-10 09:20:43

Ludo. Still love it.

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 05-Dec-10 09:37:16

Ludo or frustration (same game different way of rolling the dice), snakes and ladders and cludo. DD began to like connect four at the age of six but we had to try really hard not to get four in a row before her. She is a demon player now and headed for a life as a bar girl I think.

panettoinydog Sun 05-Dec-10 10:19:53

oh frustration, that's what I meant. With the popping duce. Great fun.

pugsandseals Sun 05-Dec-10 10:21:32

Cluedo Junior!

Even better than Junior Monopoly & nothing sinister - they are hunting for who ate the chocolate cake, so no dead bodies wink

amateurmum Sun 05-Dec-10 10:23:35

Junior Pass the Bomb - everybody in my house plays with enthusiasm from pre-schoolers to adults.

Jojocat Sun 05-Dec-10 10:44:09

I'm sick of pop to the shops too. DD loves junior monopoly at the moment thank goodness. We have the fairground version.

Frustration is good too.

Fizzylemonade Sun 05-Dec-10 11:00:53

Ds2 is 4 1/2 we play

frustration,

snakes and ladders,

pictureka (where you spot things, it can be played at very low level, where what you see on the card is what you find, or higher level - find 3 things that fly)

hungry hippos (warning VERY NOISY) but short lived game grin

Connect 4 (in 2 teams of 2)

Snap

domesticsluttery Sun 05-Dec-10 12:39:50

If they enjoy pop to the shops have a look at the other games on the Orchard Toys website. Mine have asked for Tutan Lootem, Walk the Plank and Slug in a Jug this year.

As well as Orchard toys games mine enjoy Junior Monopoly, Junior Cluedo and Junior Scrabble.

The older two (who are 6 and 8) have started playing chess too.

ChristianaCatesby Sun 05-Dec-10 12:40:39

UNO?

SuePurblybiltByElves Sun 05-Dec-10 12:41:43

Tummy Ache. Don't care how old you are, I still enjoy my one grin

Runoutofideas Sun 05-Dec-10 21:32:27

Mine like Guess Who and Headbanz (Or rather Tesco own version called Zoo am I)

Clary Sun 05-Dec-10 21:38:51

I like Junior Monopoly, tho with a 5yo maybe real Monopoly? My 3 play it unaided and youngest is 7 (so a 5yo might manage with help IYSWIM).

We also love Rummikubb (maybe help for 5yo again); yahtzee; draughts and even chess good; or card games, best idea as so very portable.

We also like Pass the Bomb but it's far too hard for a 5yo - didn't know there was a Juniro version.

Another game mine Love is a Cranim game called Whonuu but I don't think it's available any more.

Clary Sun 05-Dec-10 21:39:38

Sorry about apalling spelling (Sunday night)

TheGoddessBlossom Sun 05-Dec-10 21:44:55

Another vote ehre for Junior Monopoly - fairground version. Played it for the first time yesterday with our 6 and 4 year olds. You should have heard DH shamelssly talking 4 year old into selling him his ticket offices...grin

trumpton Sun 05-Dec-10 21:48:12

this is brilliant ... Labryinth. I play it with 5 year old ... Even tho age range is older .( and she can beat me blush)

UniS Sun 05-Dec-10 21:55:14

DS who is 4.9 and likes games is currently enjoying

Jenga
Ghostly Galleon
Shut the box
Uno
various lotto games
Jack straws
Batik
Build a beetle
Rapido ( with help)

Its been cold , we have been hunkering down in teh living room with the fire burning playing lots of games.

HuwEdwards Sun 05-Dec-10 21:56:46

I second Pictureka

rednose Sun 05-Dec-10 21:59:30

Rush hour junior try amazon for reviews

FreudianFoxSquishedByAPouffe Mon 06-Dec-10 11:05:45

Labyrinth is awesome!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: