Talk

Advanced search

A present for the men who have everything...?

(14 Posts)
TheFallenMadonna Sat 04-Dec-10 15:16:55

BIL and his partner are so hard to buy for. They are high earners, and very particular about themselves and their stuff. They are lovely, and I want to get them something lovely, but I never know what to get. They and their home are carefully styled, and I don't want to get it wrong. They would never suggest it was wrong, but I want to get them something they actually like. But on a limited budget (£30 max). I've done fancy foodie stuff for the last couple of years, but it's a bit same old now I think.

Please help me!

overmydeadbody Sat 04-Dec-10 15:34:01

a magazine subscription?

A bit of kit for their favourite sport? My BIL is an avid climber so I just buy him a peice of gear to add to his rack.

Joolyjoolyjoo Sat 04-Dec-10 15:36:38

What about a t-shirt saying "I've got everything!" grin?

Dexterrocks Sat 04-Dec-10 15:39:56

Oxfam have a scheme where you can buy a goat or a donkey etc for someone somewhere who really needs it as a "gift" for someone you care about. Would they appreciate that gesture?

Do they like the theatre/cinema? You could give them vouchers for a night out.

DaftApeth Sat 04-Dec-10 16:52:15

My bil is exactly like this - has more than enough money to buy whatever he wants, buys his own clothes and has expensive tastes (afterall he can afford it). He is not 'into' sport or gadgets.

Whatever we give is always very graciously accepted with profusive thanks but he is always the one I agonise over.

I usually go for the same tack as you with something edible. This year he is getting cashmere socks (£5 from M and S) and a book.

ShanahansRevenge Sat 04-Dec-10 19:51:46

Don't they have an Amazon wish list? What about something for the Kindle they are bound to own?

MrsBonkers Sun 05-Dec-10 04:24:05

Adopt a tiger/monkey/bear for them

Good quality smellies - boots no.7 for men etc.

Look at I Want One Of Those for ideas

Amazon vouchers

Clothing???

I don't know - My DH is like this - Aaargh

earwicga Sun 05-Dec-10 04:27:52

Hero Rats - brilliant organisation https://www.herorat.org/adopt - better to sponsor a life saving rat than buy something which isn't needed or wanted.

Also, World Gifts http://worldgifts.cafod.org.uk/wg_home There are lots of other charities that do this as well.

CerealOffender Sun 05-Dec-10 07:13:30

stick to the foodie stuff or just tell htem you are not buying the adults presents this year

TheFallenMadonna Sun 05-Dec-10 13:54:23

I do want to get them something, and in fact I want to get them something (although BIL did once buy FIL a charity goat for Christmas - it did not go down well!).

Cashmere socks are an idea - and maybe a life-saving rat to go with it.

Thank you!

earwicga Sun 05-Dec-10 15:46:03

Cool

I always do the world gifts for adults. I don't care particularly how well they go down. I refuse to spend my money on unwanted crap. But I wouldn't mind a pair of cashmere socks...

earwicga Sun 05-Dec-10 15:46:49

And how rubbish am I using the word 'cool' as a reply. <off to bang my head on the wall>

monkeysmama Mon 06-Dec-10 10:22:28

I think the cashmere socks idea or a charity gift sound the best from the suggestions. I'd steer away from clothes and toiletries unless you can go high end (space nk have some lovely men's toiletries)

How about a subscription to Living Etc for £25?

Muji have some "cool" wink house things - the sun & moon box is beautiful.

Have a look at not on the high st for some ideas. It's worth taking a while to have a good browse as the prices vary a lot - some things are v over priced but you can get some lovely pressies for your budget.

TryingtoQuit Mon 06-Dec-10 10:55:00

If they like the great outdoors how about a tree dedicated to them in a woodlands trust forest?

[http://woodlandtrustshop.com/dedicate-a-tree]

Did this for a friends wedding gift it seemed to go down well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now