Talk

Advanced search

if you put MAIN PRESENTS in STOCKING then what do YOU give from you?

(16 Posts)
noonar Fri 03-Dec-10 19:32:01

when i was growing up, we had tiny token presents in our stockings and a main present from mum.

now my dds are 6 and 8 and i would love to do the same thing for them. i find the whole writing to santa thing causes problems, as they then have the expectation that santa will bring what they would really like, not just some bubble bath and choc money!

if santa gets the credit for the main present, then surely you end up buying another main present from you (as parents). this then gets very expensive!

Cyb Fri 03-Dec-10 19:33:31

No, Santa brings everything. he delivers everything.

you just wont get a thankyou

Cyb Fri 03-Dec-10 19:35:35

I wish I'd done it that way too, FWIW. I started the Santa's stocking and presents from us gubbins, and gave myself twice as much shopping to do

<Idiot>

noonar Fri 03-Dec-10 19:37:00

but we dds are 6 and 8. they give presents to me and dh. they love to give each other presents. they know we get presents for other family members. they know that there is this thing that people do called Christmas Shopping... and yet we supposedly dont get them anything??

Sassyfrassy Fri 03-Dec-10 19:37:50

I just tell dd that she can only ask santa for things that fit in the stocking. She can also let us know what bigger things she would like us to maybe get her. This year she has asked for marbles =)

Hullygully Fri 03-Dec-10 19:37:52

Mine laughed at Santa from age 3, so he brings stockings, but everything in them is from us.

5GoldenFimbos Fri 03-Dec-10 19:37:56

Santa brings everything apart from presents from relatives & friends. My two never question why we don't buy them anything. Well dd knows now but ds is only coming up for 7 and still believes.

noonar Fri 03-Dec-10 19:42:08

sassy, thats what i'll say. good one. it has to fit in the stocking.

i still couldnt bear for them to think that we didnt get them anything! when they are very generous themselves and love to spend pocket money getting/ making things for others.

bumbums Fri 03-Dec-10 19:43:07

If they're that clued in about gift giving are you sure they still truely believe in Santa?!
I'd have said that you put little gifts/choc money etc in stocking and there's one main gift from Santa. Then if you want to get a 10-15 pound gift from you then would that be ok?

piratecatClaus Fri 03-Dec-10 19:47:32

i have mixed it up thru the past few yrs. dd is 8.

one year fc brought her her main present. mummy gave her something equally as special under the tree ( tho not in any way as expensive, just a very wanted thing0

last year fc brought the sack of gifts/stocking, and mummy gave her her nintendo after shehad opened her stocking. i wanted the credit!!

this year mummy is getting her her main nintendo games, and luckily there ar eno hugely expensive gifts onthe letter to fc.

i change it around.

noonar Fri 03-Dec-10 19:51:48

hmm.. i think they do believe, although my 8yo is getting suspicious. i def couldnt get items with shop labels that she recognised, or she'd def realise.

we are going to lapland soon- not primarily for the santa thing, but for the skiing. 8yo dd said "will it be the actual father christmas, or just some old man in a stick on beard. i will be able to tell, you know". so ironically, it may be visiting the REAL santa that puts the nail in the coffin, as far as believing is concerned.

MrsvWoolf Fri 03-Dec-10 20:05:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

asdx2 Fri 03-Dec-10 20:34:00

Dd's stocking only contains token gifts because they are from Santa.The larger toys she asks for are from us. My older ones have more expensive gifts in their stockings but they don't have the huge pile under the tree. Dd never questions it and the older ones like to preserve the magic for dd so wouldn't draw her attention to it either.

gillybean2 Fri 03-Dec-10 20:36:45

Santa brings stocking and all gifts here. ds also gets one present from me (usually whatever is most expensive and it's usually something he hasn't asked for especially) and presents from friends/family which go under the tree as we receive them.

Ds makes a list of 4 items he'd really like and writes his letter to santa with the list of four things. He knows that Santa will bring one of these (possibly more but only guaranteed to bring one) of them. Has been relatively easy as list usually included things like jigsaw and sticker book. Now he's getting older it has more computer games on it!

dabdib Fri 03-Dec-10 21:44:04

We give my son a couple of presents from us, that are under the tree along with everyone elses, and he gets his main present and stocking from santa.

Usually the presents from us are items he has spotted when we have had to buy when he is there and I have failed to hide properly.

He is a very questioning child and would wonder why his mum and dad don't give to him but everyone else. It is not anything extra it's stuff he would have got from santa anyway.

However when I was little we never got presents from my mum and dad directly, and I never questioned this.

Portofino Fri 03-Dec-10 21:46:01

The stocking is left by the front door and is from Santa. the stuff under the tree is from us / family.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: