Talk

Advanced search

paying for a pub meal

(10 Posts)
JetCat Fri 03-Dec-10 12:57:03

For part of a Christmas pressie for my DDs grandparents, i thought of the following, but i am not actually sure if it is possibleconfused

They have a little caravan in the middle of a field, behind a pub, and they go each weekend (they live in london, so appreciate the peace and quiet). This has become their second home, and they absolutely love this pub and all its regulars. I was thinking of maybe asking said pub if i could put some money behind the bar or something, to pay for a nice Christmas meal for them?

Trouble is, i am 300 miles away, so it would have to be done via post or phone. Actually, i am not even sure of the name of the pub, so will have to do some digging.....

Is it possible to do that?

sparklyjewlz Fri 03-Dec-10 13:19:12

Why not? Find a phone number. Ring and ask them (I doubt if they'll want to turn any custom away) and then you can send a cheque for the amount they suggest would cover the cost of the meal.
I think it's a lovely thoughtful idea, btw.

JetCat Fri 03-Dec-10 13:22:48

thanks sparkly, i think i may have to start a thread asking for the names of pubs near stanstead airportgrin

Chatelaine Fri 03-Dec-10 13:23:36

What a lovely idea. Phone up said couple, on some pretext and drop into the conversation the caravan, lifestyle thing, enjoying the pub when they're there etc... lightly ask the name of the pub and bingo bongo look it up in the dirctory/Google it. Then phone up jolly landlord and explain what you want to achieve and ask how best to pay for it, cheque would be most suitable imo. Include SAE for a receipt/voucher iyswim. Any self respecting landlord would be only too pleased to oblige. Simples!. Let us know how you get on, I love this sort of thing smile

SkiingGardeningTwinklyBauble Fri 03-Dec-10 13:25:28

Pubs are often labelled on google maps if you know where the campsite is.

Lovely idea!

JetCat Fri 03-Dec-10 13:30:17

right - am off to google. I only discovered yesterday you can actually 'walk' through the streets on there blush and once i find the airport, i am sure i can rememeber the way from there.

JetCat Fri 03-Dec-10 15:27:36

found itgrin

SkiingGardeningTwinklyBauble Fri 03-Dec-10 17:34:33

Excellent. Google maps is brilliant for stuff like that. Good luck talking to the landlord.

JetCat Fri 03-Dec-10 17:56:39

oh i think he should be ok skiing - i met him the last time i was down, he kept introducing me to people as 'the campers' daughter'. Now bearing in mind these were my foster parents and are only 10 years older than me, we got some funny looksgrin

LoopyLoopsOfSparklyFairyLights Fri 03-Dec-10 17:58:55

I've done it before, they should be able to no problem.

Lovely idea. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: