Talk

Advanced search

scandinavian style decorations

(31 Posts)
frazzled74 Thu 02-Dec-10 21:05:55

where can i buy some nice scandinavian style decorations for tree this year?

peggotty Thu 02-Dec-10 21:07:51

you could try ikea?

peggotty Thu 02-Dec-10 21:10:32

here

frazzled74 Thu 02-Dec-10 21:10:51

no ikea nearby, really need to buy online.

QuintessentialShadows Thu 02-Dec-10 21:12:42

goregous but sadly you cant order.....

TheHouseofMirth Thu 02-Dec-10 21:18:19

here

here

even Scandi festive loo roll

and even John Lewis

UpSinceCrapOClock Thu 02-Dec-10 21:21:35

You can order from here and apparently they ship worldwide...

UpSinceCrapOClock Thu 02-Dec-10 21:29:49

If you can be arsed, you could also make a lot yourself. We always used to do this as children. Especially Christmas hearts ( like here ) which are dead easy then you can fill them with sweets / nuts etc when you hang them on the tree.

Christmas stars are a bit trickier but also look nice.

And then there's classic, cut stuff out of stiff cardboard and hang it up.

frazzled74 Thu 02-Dec-10 21:37:18

thanks for those, great minds! i was just thinking about making some red and white gingham hearts.

UpSinceCrapOClock Thu 02-Dec-10 21:51:55

Well if you are handy with sewing etc, then maybe you can find some inspiration here

Just click on the various pictures for instructions (with photos). You can send me a message if you want me to translate anything if you like (because I don't always check mn and am a bit rubbish at checking in on threads!)

taffetazatyousantaclaus Thu 02-Dec-10 22:00:01

John Lewis are all over the Scandi theme this year - cards, crackers, decorations, table linen etc.

Or Skandium - I love the gnomes

QuintessentialShadows Thu 02-Dec-10 22:51:07

OH MY GOD! Those gnomes are £3 here.......

taffetazatyousantaclaus Fri 03-Dec-10 09:09:45

grin thieving wnakers! where are you Quint?

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 12:35:13

I am in Norway..... grin for ONCE something is cheaper here...

taffetazatyousantaclaus Fri 03-Dec-10 12:52:39

maybe Skandium are the Scandi version of Pedlars grin

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 12:53:49

I would agree, if it wasnt for that fact that the Ittala designer glass is a lot cheaper. The vase on the front page is £150 here.....

Tn0g Fri 03-Dec-10 12:58:03

I love Scandinavian type decorations.

Spent a fortune last year buying from a small but beautiful shop in my local town,lots of lovely Scandi decs.

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 13:05:10

{throws a couple of cheerful gnomes on tnog}

grin

Tn0g Fri 03-Dec-10 13:08:21

Hellooooooooooo

Are they call Maileggs or something?

Have to go in a min

<<< kiss kiss >>>

Tn0g Fri 03-Dec-10 13:09:50

Right, I'm going.

WE have lots and lots of lovely snow

Wahoooooo

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 13:12:53

I have no idea what they are called, but I like them. Enjoy the snow, we have none!

taffetazatyousantaclaus Fri 03-Dec-10 13:13:22

Ah yes Quint but are your gnomes:

"... made with wool from the free roaming sheep found on the Swedish island of Gotland, which are unique in quality. Using their curly grey wool along with warm water and soap, we create a felt that is then handshaped into caps. The wool is also is turned into beards and hair. We also use sheepskin from arctic Icelandic sheep, which have a long straight fleece in a variety of colours. Each gnome is slightly different, giving them an individual personality."

Surely Pseud's Corner award or at the very least a bear

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 14:42:40

Make that a vegan handknitted bear
That is very peddlar-esque! grin

swanker Fri 03-Dec-10 14:52:44

QS do you call your gnomes "tomte" in Norway as the swedes do?

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 14:58:10

No, we call them Nisse (nisser in plural, because there are many). We dont buy into the american idea of santa claus.

Our Nisser are tending the animals on farms, it dates back to times where every household was a farm in some way, having some animals at least. Most farm had their own nisse who would tend to the animals, and every Christmas eve we would put a bowl of rice pudding, nicely buttered, and sprinkled in sugar and cinamon in the barn, as a thank you for his help in the year just gone.

The sami culture has tales about a nisse who would travel across the tundra, visiting frozen sami tents (like tipis), and as the entrances would variably be snown in, he would have come down through the "chimney" of the tipis, or drop presents down to kids. But this nisse is not depicted in commercial "Christmas product imagery".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now