Talk

Advanced search

What would an 8 yr old girl like?

(32 Posts)
julesrose Thu 02-Dec-10 14:47:17

Please can I have your suggestions. So far I've got her a Wallace and Grommet game and a stapler. She's written to Santa asking for a walkin' pup toy but I may be able to suggest something a bit better. I expect she'll be over the pup thing in a few minutes. She saw it on an advert...always knew they were evil mind bending things.

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 14:50:08

Dd is getting / hoping for

Dr who books
Ds game
Wii dance game
Watch
Pretty dress
Some hairbands/ jewellery
Ipod

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 14:52:07

Actually she has also only asked for fluffy goes walkies but I have been chatting with her on the way to school and also got her to help me chose presents for her school friends. So I have some ideas

ramonaquimby Thu 02-Dec-10 14:53:35

dd has loved this - was xmas present last year from her auntie. is now standard bday present for her friends!

www.amazon.co.uk/Paper-Fashions-Klutz-Editors/dp/1 570545340/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291301542&sr=8-1

cheapest place is amazon

GregoryPeck Thu 02-Dec-10 14:57:46

My 8 year old wants a silver locket, a watch, Moxie Girl (which she is not getting) and ballet books.

Have got her the books and watch, various surprises etc and DP and I are shopping tomorrow for the locket. Moxie Girl is not happening as I tend to class them in same league as Bratz (hooker dolls) and she already has tons of Barbies that she doesn't really play with.

mugggletoeandwine Thu 02-Dec-10 15:01:25

DD's a year older, but she's having a DS game and book to go with it.
Lava Lamp
Justin Bieber Calendarhmm
DVD's (toy story 3 and Harry Hill)
Blendy Pens
Littlest Pet shop crap stuff.
Guinness book of records
Spirograph.
Jamies/slippers/chocolate etc.

DilysPrice Thu 02-Dec-10 15:06:24

Glow in dark Hama beads, Bath Bomb/soap / perfume/ crystals "girly science" kits. Magic set. Complete set of Horrible Histories books from Book people.

PonceyMcPonce Thu 02-Dec-10 15:08:16

My dd is getting art materials, a bug environment, and meccano, a fluffy dressing gown, a handbag designing kit and a ds game

julesrose Thu 02-Dec-10 15:08:49

She likes stories - and music. Anyone know of anything interesting to do with those (not book / CD. Could probably manage that!)
Sadly she's not really girly. Would love to get her a dress and pretty things for her hair....
Also loves making things - anyone seen any good stuff around?

julesrose Thu 02-Dec-10 15:09:28

What's a bug environment?

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 15:11:47

There is a great book where you get prompts to write your own stories . It looks lovely. Saw it in smiths. I will try and get the details.

PonceyMcPonce Thu 02-Dec-10 15:12:26

Sort of moulded plastic tanky thing and you order a tadpole by mail and observe its development.

Had big success with butterfly world for dd birthday, so we thought we'd give it a go - john lewis - about £12

mugggletoeandwine Thu 02-Dec-10 15:13:37

What are the girly science kits?
DD would like those.

julesrose Thu 02-Dec-10 15:20:24

Thanks pagwatch - sounds great. As does the bug thing! Anyone seen good chemistry sets? Would love that.

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 15:27:45

No problem

I hope to get into town soon. I will mark this thread and let you know what it is called.

DilysPrice Thu 02-Dec-10 15:50:40

The girly science comes from a brand called Wild Science, they do a load of kits including some girly ones in pink hmm which DD wants. Available from John Lewis or Amazon.

mugggletoeandwine Thu 02-Dec-10 17:08:20

Thanks, I'll have a look when said girl goes to bed.
Have you had them before?

I do worry that this type of thing will be shit.
My Aunt bought her a card making kit for her birthday and it was impossible to do neatly, and a waste of money, plus lots of disappointment from DD.

DilysPrice Thu 02-Dec-10 17:16:38

DD had the physics / chemistry one from WS and it was pretty good, though required a lot of supervision of course. Amazon reviews are your friends in sorting out the wheat from the crap.

mugggletoeandwine Thu 02-Dec-10 17:45:36

I don't mind supervision, we'd do it together anyway.
Thanks, I'll have a browse on Amazon once she's in bed

julesrose Sat 04-Dec-10 17:56:46

Pagwatch - did you get to find out about the story thing? Thanks

pagwatch Sat 04-Dec-10 18:00:40

Sorry Jules.. Not been able to get out of the house and can't find it on line.

I hope to hit shops on monday

IAmRubyLennox Sat 04-Dec-10 20:47:53

My DD is 7 and a half.

She's having...

a bike (she's a demon cyclist)
a 'newborn' baby girl doll & very stylish mamas & papas pram!
a set with glittery nail polish, lip-balms etc.
a tutu, party tights and various sparkly hair things.
loads of books & 2011 Girls' Annual

(not all from us, I hasten to add - this is across grandparents & aunts / uncles too)

Struggling a wee bit with her stocking, but so far it has chocolate, a Natural History Museum mini-science kit thing, and a pair of legwarmers.

julesrose Sun 05-Dec-10 10:33:29

Thanks for looking!

Hulababy Sun 05-Dec-10 10:42:24

DD is 8y and from us and familiy and friends (lots of them!) she will be recieving:

Digital video recorder and accessories
Sylvanian Families toys - various
Disney Couture charm necklace
Amore & Baci Jr charm bracelet
Meerkat bag and sports bottle
Meerkat chatimal
Disco lights for the bath (as seen on MN!)
Fashion Angels Interior Design sketchpad
Acessories for her Build a Bear teddy
HSM3 dance mat
Harry Potter audio CD

and other stuff from people, things I don't know what are coming

ChristmasTrulyReigns Mon 06-Dec-10 00:22:14

This is fantastic, it has been the only thing I have bought for the DDs' friends (8,9,10 year olds) for about a year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now