Talk

Advanced search

DD (4) would love a cat, I'm allergic, so...

(16 Posts)
DownyEmerald Tue 30-Nov-10 20:53:27

what about one of those electronic furry things? Would that be totally the wrong thing to do?

Altaira Tue 30-Nov-10 20:58:20

Would be better than one of these sphynx cats.

EightiesChick Tue 30-Nov-10 21:04:22

Antihistamines. That's the answer. Go on...

celebmum Wed 01-Dec-10 09:24:22

OP are you actually allergic, or do you just get sniffy & itchy eyes etc? i was like that when we got our cat, took antihistamines for a few days and then it went away/i got used to it! TBH i was too wrapped up in our new furry little friend to care!! grin

x

mousymouse Wed 01-Dec-10 09:30:03

don't get a cat if you are allergic. it can turn into asthma...
and btw sniffy nose & itchy eyes is an allergic reaction.

huffythethreadslayer Wed 01-Dec-10 09:33:58

I'm cat allergic, asthma, sniffy nose, runny eyes, blotchy on contact. After years of no pets we just bought Netherland dwarf rabbits and are keeping them in the house. No problems so far and they are soooo cute. Could that be a viable alternative?

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Wed 01-Dec-10 16:13:24

i think they're called Fur-real, aren't they?

much better idea - and it won't die if noone looks after it....

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Wed 01-Dec-10 16:13:39

or chickens?

DownyEmerald Wed 01-Dec-10 20:17:00

no i'm really allergic - and rabbits too, and feathers as well, but probably chickens would be ok as not actually in the house!

iheartdusty Wed 01-Dec-10 21:09:21

the electronic things make a whirring, grinding noise and you can feel the hard cogs and wires when you stroke them.

but millions are sold every year, and clearly they are very popular.

MaryMungo Wed 01-Dec-10 21:14:43

Sphynxes are no good of you're very allergic, as the allergen is in the saliva, not the fur. The fur just keeps the saliva around longer.

If you're just mildly allergic it might work. I had a friend with one and it was the sweetest, most affectionate cat I've ever met. It always wanted to be near you (particularly in winter grin)

DownyEmerald Wed 01-Dec-10 22:33:48

ooh, iheart, i'm not sure about cogs etc, I'll have to give one a cuddle. No impulse ordering online now!

I really don't want an animal at all - prob because of being allergic, and my dad even worse, just not an animal person. I did have a hamster but went off her when she bit me!

onmyfeet Thu 02-Dec-10 07:38:45

Don't get one if allergic, I have been unwell for years because of our (much loved) cat.
Get your dd interested in fish?

iloveblue Thu 02-Dec-10 07:58:36

What about sponsoring a rescue cat or something along those lines. I know some places send you a photo and details etc.

DownyEmerald Thu 02-Dec-10 11:58:22

That's a good idea ilove. Maybe for next year when she is a bit older.

Fish - my dp (did Marine Biology)likes fish. We spent years pre-child spending our weekends in garden centres looking at the fish, buying more fish, buying more plants, cleaning out the fish, wondering why the fish died. I did get emotionally attached to some little corydoras that had bandit stripes but tbh am quite happy now we are fishless.

But maybe it is time for another fish-phase. At least it wouldn't be me looking after it when dd forgets!

MrsvWoolf Thu 02-Dec-10 12:07:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: