Talk

Advanced search

Ikea Christmas stuff- what's worth having?

(14 Posts)
soppypreggyloon Tue 30-Nov-10 20:14:41

I'm braving ikea on fri and was thinking about getting some new decorations etc for Christmas.
Do they have anything worth having?
Should I not get my hopes up?

We need other stuff so it wouldn't be a wasted trip but would save time if I knew if it was worth a look.

Cheer all!

taffetazatyousantaclaus Tue 30-Nov-10 20:20:52

bought loads of their wrapping paper

very good quality and obv quite Scandi

tags are a bit shite tho

Herecomesthesciencebint Tue 30-Nov-10 20:56:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Tue 30-Nov-10 21:17:51

wrap much thicker this year

jalopy Tue 30-Nov-10 21:24:35

I think their stuff is crap this year. Really cheap and gaudy.

A few years ago they sold some lovely nordic decorations in tasteful shades. I bought some lovely red partridge baubles, wooden hearts,etc to hang on the tree.

Never seen anything worth buying since.

ChristmasTrulyReigns Tue 30-Nov-10 23:23:12

Which one are you going to?

I went to Birmingham one yesterday - it was like a car boot sale. sad

I normally love the Nordic style, but agree with jalopy, it certainly isn't as inspiring as previous years.

There's some lovely starry lights, and their scented candles seem to be quite cheap.

The paper is alright and hopefully abit thicker than previously.

I think these are uber-Christmassy.

Tikkabillajive Tue 30-Nov-10 23:31:49

Their gingerbread houses are fun. And I got some nice candles with silver stars on last time I went - not sure if they were just meant for Christmas though.

Decorhate Wed 01-Dec-10 07:30:12

I usually find that all the really nice stuff has sold out by now. I went quite a few weeks ago & even then some things were out if stock.

soppypreggyloon Wed 01-Dec-10 07:32:18

Going to the one in Bristol.
Hmm maybe I'll not linger too long then. Was hoping for something nice.

Tikkabillajive Wed 01-Dec-10 20:49:42

I was wondering about going next week - Bristol is my closest one too - will you let me know what it was like if you do go on Fri? I went at half term expecting it to be hideous and it was fab! And they had some special deals going in the restaurant so the dcs (x2) and I all ate for about £3! shock

soppypreggyloon Wed 01-Dec-10 20:58:43

Course! Think dh and Ds may sample cafe when dh gets tired and grumpy! We're meant to be looking for new bedroom furniture for Ds when he moves to a bigger bedroom to let dc2 have the nursery. However I won't be able to resist a peek at the festive things!

thereisthesnowball Thu 02-Dec-10 08:15:42

I got my wrapping paper from there - is fine, and double-sided. The ribbon that goes with it feels a bit cheap but looks OK once it's wrapped round the paper.

I also got some clear glass baubles and a gingerbread house for DD's stocking.

I have to go back soon to get DD's present - the children's kitchen. Also, I think they do real trees, and take them back after Christmas, so I might get one of those too.

IMO the scented candles smell cheap and nasty. I had to look hard for some tasteful decorations because most of them were too gaudy. You'd be better off getting some of their normal candles and wrapping the bases in ivy.

soppypreggyloon Fri 03-Dec-10 12:40:33

tikkabillajive - just home. unfortunately ds had a 'i'm tired' melt down just as we got to the end. the christmas stuff is mostly just before the checkouts. i didn't get a chance to browse as ds was flipping out and dh gets stressy and snappy when that happens.

TBH i didn't see anything i wanted - plain and matt red or silver baubles, which i have already. nothing particularly scandinavian on display so not really what i wanted.

possibly not worth the effort especially if you don't need/ want anything else. we went at 9.30 so got there as it opened for browsing. it was lovely and quiet!

dh is going back later for the big furniture we couldn't fit in the car and we have decided on ds's new bedroom furniture for after christmas, once the carpet goes in. so that bit was successful at least.

Cyb Fri 03-Dec-10 12:41:26

I have a white big felt star light with tiny stars inside which I love and wish I'd bought a load

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: