Talk

Advanced search

What Christmassy food do you eat

(16 Posts)
tummytickler Tue 30-Nov-10 13:42:21

that is not Christmas Dinner?
We always have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for Christmas Day breakfast, and cold meat and cheese on Boxing Day.
Looking for inspiration for something special for Christmas Eve - we are always so busy we have had no time to start a tradition there. Also some festive food to eat on the run up to Christmas!
What festive grub do you like to eat?

lilolilmanchester Tue 30-Nov-10 14:20:21

my fave quick and easy Christmas Eve meal is hot roast pork sandwiches - with applesauce and stuffing. I always make my own stuffing for Christmas Day, but think Paxo far better for the butties! I also usually only ever buy wholemeal bread, but IMO soft white baps th best for this.
Filling enough to serve alone or with salad & coleslaw & potatoes if you can be bothered.
Boxing day we chop up all the leftovers, cover in white sauce and top with puff pastry for an easy but delicious pie.

BelligerentGhoul Tue 30-Nov-10 15:25:45

We always have hot veggie sausage rolls on Christmas Eve, with white cobs (Like Lilolil, I hardly ever buy white bread for the rest of the year!), a cheese board, Garners pickled onions and red cabbage and cucumber in vinegar.

By about the 27th December, I'm always gagging for a curry.

maltesers Tue 30-Nov-10 19:06:54

I love turkey, mince pies, xmas pud and the white sauce (best bit), sherry trifle on boxing day, mulled wine (yum) ,

. . how about paella, or curry, or some fish ??
Yule log : packet of cookie biscuits dunked quickly in sherry, then stuck together with thick whipped double cream one after the other then coated with double whipped cream, and sprinkled with crushed Cadburys' flake. Store in fridge to keep cool and hard. (not for kids as a bit too boozy!!)

taffetazatyousantaclaus Tue 30-Nov-10 20:12:24

Christmas Eve this year is the first year since DC that DH hasn't worked, so I will be doing what I have always wanted to do on Christmas Eve, batch baking mince pies and sausage rolls. There is nothing like either fresh and warm from the oven. I also plan on having some mulled wine on the go and some hot choc for the DC.

We always have smoked fish canapes around midday on Christmas Day. Every year since I was a child we've had dippy eggs with soldiers for breakfast, but this year I've decided its actually too much hassle so am opting for toasted panettone with lashings of butter and some special homemade Christmas granola made with cinnamon and orange I shall make the week before.

Standard lunch, always have a pineapple thinly sliced in the evening with various marinade/accompaniment to cleanse palate. Pondering making a pineapple sorbet atm.

Boxing Day is for ham and turkey, chutney and cheeses, pates and good bread and crackers. Mince pies, sausage rolls again and Christmas cake.

yy to curry/spicy cravings after Boxing Day, I always buy Chinese pancakes, hoisin, spring onions and cucumber and refry bits of leg turkey for a chinese crispy turkey pancake.

RupertTheBear Tue 30-Nov-10 20:15:13

We always have fish on Christmas Eve - either a whole salmon with new potatoes and hollandaise, or Jamie's fish pie.

domesticsluttery Tue 30-Nov-10 20:48:28

The 23rd is usually a hectic day, especially this year as the school term doesn't finish until the 22nd! I cook some kind of casserole in the slow cooker, beef and chestnuts with red wine or similar.

On Christmas Eve I always cook a ham, usually with a ginger glaze. We have braised red cabbage and baked potatoes with it, and mince pies for pudding (not forgetting to leave one for Sion Corn!). We always have mulled wine afterwards.

Christmas Day breakfast always involves something sparkling to drink! I have made scrambled eggs with smoked salmon in previous years, but TBH it is a bit too much when we are going to have a big lunch. So we tend to either have croissants and fruit or something similar.

Lunch is pretty standard. If we are at our house we don't have supper, just a pot of tea and some christmas cake and mince pies is usually enough. If we are at my PIL's though they pull out a whole meal again and everyone groans!

Boxing Day is a buffet of leftover turkey and ham with cheese, pate, pork pie etc etc and always a trifle.

Then I use up the last of the meat in a turkey and ham pie on the 27th.

YuleBeLucky Tue 30-Nov-10 20:48:55

Most Christmas Eves we have had fish. Either lemon sole or salmon with new potatoes and steamed greens, or a few times fish and chips from the chippie (no washing up!)

Last year I did the Christmas ham with roasted desiree potatoes / root veg and braised red cabbage, as na early-sih dinner. Followed by trifle. Was a big meal to have the day before THE big meal, but was lovely all the same grin

Think this year we'll go for takeaway curry smile

cathers Wed 01-Dec-10 06:22:32

We always have fish on Christmas eve, usually nigellas fish pie. Get back in from the nativity service at church, to the fish pie which I stick on a timer in oven.

Breakfast is bacon rolls and champagne.
Traditional lunch
In eve, I usually do finger food like mini filo tarts, mini yorkshires and a posh salad

Boxing day, we cut the ham, have that with cold turkey and chutneys. Cheeseboard and then cut the cake.

cupcake001 Wed 01-Dec-10 07:56:15

Breakfast is always scrambled egg and smoked salmon on toast, the usual xmas dinner, n who can forget turkey sandwiches! Boxing day we go to my mums n my sd will make his signiture 'shredded crispy turkey' which he does with spices n stuff then fries soo nice.

tummytickler Wed 01-Dec-10 09:15:32

oooh - cupccake shredded crispy turkey sounds lovely! Do you know the recipe?

So many great ideas - I think I will be able to plan a festive meal for weeks.
Will definately try the yule long, and try a non boozy one for the dc's.
Dh will want to eat Christmas Day evening at about 9pm I expect. So need something light, yet Christmassy!
Boxing Day will be cheeses and meats. Will do a trifle to - anybody have a winning trifle recipe? I have never made on before blush.
And roast pork sandwiches for Christmas Eve - yum!
I am off to add more stuff to my Sainsburys order!

Saltire Wed 01-Dec-10 09:19:32

Christmas Eve this year there will (hopefully) be 8 of us, so am thinking of gammon and wedges, or using some of the 4kg piece of pork the tossers at tesco sent me!

BelligerentGhoul Wed 01-Dec-10 10:00:42

This is how I do my trifle -

Slice up a sponge cake (I usually just buy a couple of Madeira cakes rather than making my own) and sprinkle with port. Then whack a load of raspberries on top (I often use frozen as cheaper) and more port. Then whack a pot of 'posh' custard over that - a good one that you can see the vanilla bits in.

Leave in the fridge overnight.

Next day, make a syrup by reducung some port and some sugar. Leave it to cool.

Whip the cream and splodge it over the trifle.

Drizzle the port syrup over.

Sprinkle with toasted almonds.

BelligerentGhoul Wed 01-Dec-10 10:01:20

Oh and I layer more cake on top of the raspberries - and more port! Then the custard.

OhCobblers Wed 01-Dec-10 16:39:51

always fish pie extravagana (using wild salmon, king prawns, etc) on Xmas Eve.

Smoked Salmon Bagels for Xmas Day Brekkie.

Would love to do leftovers for Boxing Day but more family over that day so feel the need to do "Xmas" again [envious]

panettone and ice cream but separately!!

MistletoeAndWhineWithMe Wed 01-Dec-10 16:55:12

We are having this for Christmas day breakfast.

You can make it the day before then leave in the fridge overnight and bung it in the oven for an hour the next day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now